Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Remembering Sunshine"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: After being shot down in a jungle, Archer and Trip must rely on two Jit they barely know to survive.


CHAPTER 2

T’Pol crossed her legs, leaning to the side while she read an astronomic report. She heard a beep on Hoshi’s console and looked up. Hoshi turned to T’Pol.

“There’s an incoming message from Chancellor Urlus,” Hoshi said.

T’Pol rose to her feet, setting the PADD in her hand aside. She nodded once to Hoshi. Chancellor Urlus appeared on the view monitor.

“Greetings,” T’Pol said. “Why has our captain been delayed?”

Chancellor Urlus looked down. He cleared his throat, his face telling of the coming bad news he was about to deliver.

“There’s been an accident, Sub-Commander T’Pol,” Chancellor Urlus looked back up at her. “Your captain and his crew departed our city an hour ago. On launch, rebels attacked them. The escorts were destroyed and we lost your shuttle pod on sensors nineteen kilometers outside the perimeter fence. At the rate of descent,” Chancellor Urlus cleared his throat again and repeated, “At the rate of descent the shuttle pod was going...we don’t know if there were any survivors. We will send a rescue team, but we can’t send them until morning. The rebels outside the fence are deadly and it’s going to be risky. When we have further news, we will contact you. If you happen to pick up a communication or distress beacon, please let us know and we will attempt an immediate rescue. I cannot express my sympathy to you and your crew, Sub-Commander. I am sorry.”

“Keep us posted.”

Chancellor Urlus nodded and ended the transmission. T’Pol sat back down.

“Scan for the shuttle pod on the surface,” T’Pol told the ensign at the science station. “Hoshi, scan for any signals out of the ordinary as well as monitoring for the distress beacon.”

“Ay, Commander,” the ensign and Hoshi responded.

T’Pol looked back at the view screen.

“I’m sorry...T’Pol,” Malcolm said.

Everyone looked at Malcolm. He was watching T’Pol.

“I beg your pardon?” T’Pol asked.

Malcolm offered her a smile. “Just know that I’m sorry. But I doubt Captain Archer plans on dying on this planet or letting anyone with him die. They’ll be back.”

T’Pol held Malcolm’s steady gaze for several seconds before turning her eyes back to the view monitor.

#

Archer felt warmth on his head. He slowly opened his eyes, finding Likos kneeling beside him with his hand over Archer’s forehead. In the dancing dim light of a nearby fire, Archer could see cuts covered the boy’s face and there was a green bruise along the right side of his jaw. Archer could just barely make out the dull white healing light emitting from Likos’ hand. Archer started to get up and let out a soft cry when the movement made his side hurt.

“Shh,” Likos said, laying his other hand on Archer’s shoulder. “Relax. You side is bruised and you probably bruised or cracked a few ribs. But the worst is your head. This should make it feel better at least.”

Archer closed his eyes. “Where’s Trip?”

“He’s unconscious.”

“How is he?” Archer looked up at Likos.

Likos sat back, sighing. “We need to get him to Enterprise or a hospital very soon. He’s losing blood. Something punctured his side and he needs surgery. He has a concussion, but it looked worse than it was. He may have internal injuries too, but I can’t tell.”

“The distress beacon?”

Likos shook his head. “A lot of things were broken in the accident. It was one of them. So were the portable beacons. We have two phaser, some field rations, a limited medical kit and one communicator that does not work. And some odds and ends.”

Archer slowly sat up. He looked around, seeing they were in a small cave. Drista was sitting by a small fire in the center of the cave, staring at the flames. Archer looked back at Likos.

“Why are we here?”

“The rebels were coming. We couldn’t stay at the shuttle pod. They were still there when I checked a while ago.”

Archer looked over at Trip. He was covered with a blanket and his head was bandaged.

“You can’t heal him?” Archer looked at Likos.

“I was able to slow the bleeding, but like yours I couldn’t heal it all. I’m sorry, Captain.”

“I know you’re doing everything you can, Likos.”

Likos smiled at Archer. “Don’t move fast or ribs will hurt,” Likos got up and walked over to Trip.

Archer moved closer to the fire, watching Likos began to change the bandage on Trip’s head.

“Do you remember much of the accident? I can only remember seeing the trees and everything else is fuzzy,” Archer said.

Likos looked back at him, “I was knocked unconscious when we hit the trees, sir.”

“Drista?”

She shook her head. “Everything happened so fast. I don’t remember much. I heard Trip yell and saw you get up, and then the shuttle pod rolled over and stopped. When I got up, you three were unconscious.”

“Were we close to a cliff?” Archer asked.

“Less than two meters. The grappler was tangled around all these trees. Is that what you were hoping for, sir?”

“I remember that now. I was hoping for something like that to happen. I didn’t feel like going over that cliff.”

“It had to be at least a third of a kilometer or more to the river at the bottom. I don’t think we’d have survived it if we had gone over.”

“Neither do I.” Archer looked at the fire with a heavy sigh. He winced when it made his ribs hurt.

“We have thought about a plan, sir,” Drista said.

“What?”

“You and I head for the perimeter fence. I can hear and see the rebels and you’re capable of moving. Likos can stay here with Trip until we return with Rewtark or some of our own crew.”

Archer shook his head. “No. I’m not leaving Trip here. Or Likos.”

“Sir, may I point out that Commander Tucker is losing blood?” Likos questioned.

“How bad is he bleeding? How long does he have?”

“I don’t know. I was able to slow the bleeding, but he couldn’t walk even if he were conscious. If we move him, it may start bleeding again. He could bleed to death before we reach the perimeter fence. As...” Likos hesitated and then added forcefully, “As his doctor, I strongly advise against moving him.”

Archer looked at Likos. He wished Trip were conscious to hear what Likos had just said. The Jit sounded like the doctor Trip had known was hiding inside.

“How far do you think the fence is?” Archer asked them.

“At least a day or two away,” Likos said.

“I respect your advice, Likos, but if we don’t know how long he has, I want him with us. If Trip,” Archer swallowed the lump that rose suddenly in his throat. “If my best friend dies, Likos, I want to be with him. We three will find a way to take him to the fence with us.”

“Yes, sir,” Likos and Drista replied.

Archer closed his eyes, praying he hadn’t just condemned his best friend to death.

#

Archer looked back at Likos. He had rigged up a travois and harness made with nylon rope he had salvaged from the shuttle pod during the night to transport Trip. The boy had been pulling the travois for only two hours, but Likos looked ready to drop from the heat of the rain forest and the exertion of pulling the travois.

“I can pull it,” Archer offered.

“No,” Likos panted. “If your ribs are cracked, you could break them and make it worse.”

Archer smiled. “A doctor to the end, is that it?”

“Something like that, sir,” Likos flashed a smile.

Drista glanced back at Archer. “Thank you for helping him, sir.”

“Helping who?”

“My husband.”

“Do what?”

“Get this degree to be a doctor,” Drista glanced back at Archer. “I hope it will help him.”

Archer smiled. “You’re welcome, but if it hadn’t been for Trip I’d never have considered it. You should thank him. I hear Eartik’s going to be an engineer. Trip told me he’s taken him under his wing to train him.”

Drista chuckled. “Eartik is very excited. We warned Commander Tucker not to be disappointed if Eartik changes his mind. He has so many opportunities now that I don’t know if he’s certain what he wants to do.”

“But one day,” Likos added, panting as he spoke, “He’ll decide on something. I’m happy he can make these choices.”

Drista glanced at Archer. “On the Diedra we were afraid one day we’d be caught by the Varlikon and he’d be a slave, or killed. You’re kindness changed all that.”

Archer shook his head. “I’m not letting them get their hands on any of you,” Archer met her eyes. “Besides, since you and the others arrived, I’ve inherited an adoring fan that is always the first to greet me every time I come back to the Enterprise. What more could a captain want?”

“Navta,” Drista laughed. “Yes. She adores you, sir.”

Archer started to reply when Drista’s hand went up suddenly. She came to a stand still, staring into the forest to her right.

“Rebels are approaching. We have to cover the track the travois made and get under cover,” Drista looked back at the two. “They’ll be here soon.”

Archer looked around and motioned to some low brush. Likos drug the travois under it and then the three hurried to cover the track as best they could before disappearing under the brush themselves. Archer lay down on his belly next to Trip, watching the forest around them.

“Do you see ‘em?” Archer whispered.

Drista nodded. “They’re about twelve meters off,” she pointed in the direction.

“Are they still headed this direction?”

Drista’s eyes narrowed. “Yes. They’re searching the brush. Maybe this wasn’t the best spot.”

“Just don’t be a rabbit when they get here,” Archer said.

“A...rabbit?” Likos looked at Archer. “Sir?”

“Rabbits tend to take off running when they think they’ve been spotted. Don’t bolt because you think they see us. Make sure first.”

“But...we would know if they saw us,” Drista looked at Likos and then Archer. “We would sense it.”

Archer smiled. “I keep forgetting you empathic. Then make sure I don’t act like a rabbit, okay?”

“We will, sir,” Likos promised.

The three were silent, waiting for the rebels to approach. Archer laid his forehead on his arms, wishing the pain in his side away. His heart leapt when he heard one of the rebels hit a bush nearby. Soon he could hear slow and measured footsteps. Archer slowly lifted his head, watching the forest. He saw a Rewtark rebel appear. The rebel was swinging a branch left and right, hitting the brush as he walked. More appeared until Archer could see that they were fanned out in a loose arrow shape, moving methodically through the forest, hitting the brush with sticks. Animals scattered every once in a while, but they kept moving. Archer looked at Drista beside him. She had her chin resting on her hands, watching the men approaching. Archer was momentarily reminded of how Porthos would lay his head on his paws and watch something without moving a muscle. On her other side Likos watched the men approaching with alert eyes. Archer looked around at Trip. If he regained consciousness now it would give them away.

Archer heart leapt into his throat when one of the rebels hit the brush they were hiding under. He looked up, watching the Rewtark step forward and smack the brush again. Archer closed his eyes, resisting the temptation to bolt. He felt a hand on his arm and looked into Drista’s eyes. She kept her eyes locked on his and when she looked away, the rebels were gone.

Drista and Likos climbed out. Archer followed them out and slowly stood. He opened his mouth to speak but stopped when Likos began pulling off his socks and shoes.

“What’s he doing?” Archer whispered to Drista.

“He’s going to see if it’s safe to move,” Drista whispered back. “We’ll have to wait.”

Archer looked down at Likos, staring at the Jit’s feet. Likos’ feet had fingers like his hands, except bonier and narrower. Likos walked over to a tree and leapt up, grabbing the tree trunk with his hands and feet. Archer watched him climb the tree like he was on a ladder and disappear into the foliage.

“He loves trees,” Drista laughed quietly. “The monkey DNA that his kind was made from also loved to climb trees. They were spry little things, swinging branch to branch like we walk. Sometimes I am amazed how the animal’s habits and behaviors come out in us.”

Archer smiled. “It amazes me all the time.”

Likos appeared after ten minutes, climbing headlong down the tree. He allowed himself to drop the last two meters, landing on all fours. He stood and walked back to his socks and shoes.

“They are far enough away,” Likos said

Archer looked up the tree. “How far up did you go?”

“About eighteen meters.”

Archer looked down at Likos. “Does Eartik like to climb trees too?”

“Yes,” Likos nodded. “He has my DNA.”

“Is that common? For a child to have one parent’s DNA?”

“We don’t know,” Likos looked up at Archer. “As far as we’ve ever known, Drista and I are the first to mate outside of our species.”

Species. The word took Archer by surprise. He looked back at the brush Trip was still under.

“We should get moving,” Archer said.

Likos got up and slipped under the brush. He pulled the travois out and slipped back into the harness. Likos pointed in the direction they had been traveling and the three began walking again.

#

T’Pol stared at the pictures that Chancellor Urlus had sent. The inside of the shuttle pod was torn to pieces. Most if it had happened during the accident and some had happened when the rebels raided the shuttle pod. But the thing that kept her attention was the blood on the pilot’s seat. The seat Trip had been sitting in at launch. T’Pol closed the image and lit her meditation candles. She sat down and turned her mind toward her prayers and meditation. But with her eyes closed, the image from the screen was larger than life. The blood was real, it had been confirmed. There was blood at the back of the shuttle pod too. Much of it covered the gifts that the Rewtark had bestowed on Captain Archer before he departed. T’Pol opened her eyes. Was it only Trip that was hurt or were they all hurt? Did the rebels have them as Chancellor Urlus suggested, or were they in the forest somewhere? Were all four dead or alive? The shuttle pod had stopped only two meters from a cliff. The Rewtark were going to search the canyon below for their bodies in case that had happened. That being they were ejected from the pod over the edge. T’Pol exhaled a slow breath, cleared her mind and again attempted to meditate.

#

Archer heard a soft moan and opened his eyes. Across the cave Likos was sitting by Trip, trying to gently change the bandage on his head.

“Hurts,” Archer heard Trip whisper.

Archer threw his blanket back and crawled over to Trip’s side. He sat down beside Trip, laying his hand on Trip’s wrist. Trip opened his eyes, looking at Archer.

“Cap’n,” Trip whispered.

“Hey,” Archer patted his arm.

“I’m not feeling so hot, Cap’n.”

“I know. We’re hurrying as fast as we can,” Archer gave Trip’s arm a light squeeze.

Trip closed his eyes. “I’ve never hurt like this before.”

“You have one of the best doctors working on you,” Archer said. “You recommended him.”

Trip smiled. “Yeah, I did. Doctor Likos...I like the sound of that, don’t you Likos?”

“Yes, sir,” Likos replied.

Archer looked at Likos’ face. The young man’s face was tense with concern. Archer guessed Trip was getting worse.

“What are you going to tell my mom when you get back to the ship, Cap’n?” Trip winced, catching his breath when Likos touched a tender spot. “If I don’t get back.”

“Nothing because you’re going to--”

Likos looked at Archer, shooting daggers at him for attempting to lie to Trip.

“You think I’m going to make it back like this?” Trip asked.

“Yes,” Archer ignored Likos’ glare. “I think you will.”

Trip swallowed. “Maybe.”

“I never finished telling you about the tux and T’Pol.”

“Mm-mm. You didn’t,” Trip said.

“She was in the shuttle pod bay when you came in. I was giving her last minute micromanagement instructions. She looked up when you came into the bay. She didn’t hear anything I said from the time you came into the bay until you boarded the shuttle pod. Pretty un-Vulcan like. I’d say she likes you.”

“Love,” Trip nodded. “She said that, did I tell you that? Vulcans can love,” Trip smiled, looking at Archer. “She loves me.”

Archer smiled. “You’ve told me that a couple times.”

Trip nodded. “She’s pretty when she smiles. I don’t get her to smile very often but she’s pretty when she does. It lights up the entire room and she looks almost human. I never told her that it makes her look human. She’d think I was being mean or somethin’. You know how them Vulcans are.”

“Yeah. I do. Hey Trip, why don’t I do the talking and you do the listening, okay?”

Trip nodded.

“If that did happen, that you didn’t get back, I’d tell your mother that you were my best friend, the best engineer in Starfleet and I’d have to tell her how gullible you are.”

Trip attempted to laugh but it ended in a whimper of pain.

“Don’t make him laugh, sir,” Likos ordered Archer.

“Shhh,” Archer patted Trip’s arm. “Sorry. No more laughing. I’ll tell her the truth. At least the good parts anyway.”

Trip nodded.

“Get some rest, Commander,” Likos said. He got up and returned to his bed.

Archer stayed by Trip’s side until he was sure Trip was asleep and then returned to his blanket.

#

Archer opened his eyes. He heard crying. Archer looked at Trip. He was still asleep. Archer looked across the campsite. Likos was sitting up with Drista sitting between his legs. With her arms wrapped around him and her head on his shoulder, all Archer could make out was her body shaking from her sobbing.

“Shhh,” Likos whispered to her.

Drista whispered something back.

Likos smiled, kissing her head. “It’s okay, sweetheart. It will all be okay.” Likos closed his eyes, pressing his cheek against her head. “I love you, Drista. That’s all that matters. Everything will be all right. This won’t be the last, I promise.”

Archer closed his eyes. Their conversation was none of his business and he was too tired to eavesdrop.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.