Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Truth Versus Fiction"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Drama
Description: Deleted scenes from Dough Boys, the prank war continues, the boys get in trouble and thrown in jail, Phlox endures the endless questioning of a six year old...


I Will Survive (8)

Trip, Malcolm, Lieutenant Luke Anderson, Ensigns Eddy Westgard, Michael Ellsworth and Travis Mayweather moved as a loose line in and out of the aliens in the crowded market. They were in awe of the sights, sounds and smells that surrounded them.

“There it is,” Eddy said, pointing down the street.

They six stepped through a door into a loud bar. A mixture of aliens crowded in the bar and it was Travis’ sharp eyes that spotted a table at the back. The six walked toward it and began to sit down. Trip almost fell over when someone shoved his shoulder. He turned to the alien behind him, offering a smile. The alien punched him, the force sending Trip flying across the table and crashing into Eddy. Both men fell to the floor. Trip turned to get up as a pair of hands grabbed his shoulders, yanking him to his feet. Trip turned in time to see a fist flying at his face. He ducked, slamming his fist into the ribs of alien that had him by the shoulder. Eddy collected himself fast enough to face off the first alien that was stomping in Trip’s direction. A fight between Trip’s men and the aliens escalated until it had the entire bar in a brawl.

“Whose idea was this?” Trip asked himself as he backed away from two aliens advancing on him.

“Mine, sir,” Travis replied, rushing up to his side to even the odds.

The alien charged them. The two grabbed a chair each and brought the chairs crashing across the alien’s heads. Trip turned and froze, slowly raising his hands in response to the phaser rifle shoved in his face. The alien on the other end spoke in a language the communicator in Trip’s sleeve pocket understood.

“Freeze,” the alien ordered.

“Frozen,” Trip replied.

The fight was quickly brought under control by what appeared to be the police here. Trip was pushed back into his crewmates. He watched the alien that had stopped him talk with the alien that had started the fight.

“Probably telling him bald face lies,” Michael complained.

“Shh,” Trip ordered.

They watched the group that had attacked them leave the bar. The alien policeman walked back to Trip with four more following him.

“Give me your names,” he ordered.

“We’re…uh…on shore leave,” Trip asked.

“Really?” he asked in a belittling tone. “In that case, your names, your ship and your captain’s name.”

Trip sighed, starting to answer.

“Larry, Curly, Moe, Hewey, Dewey and Louie. Captain Vardee of the Diedra. She’s visiting the Enterprise,” Michael blurted.

“Got that?” the alien looked back at one who nodded once.

“Come with us,” he motioned in the direction they were to walk with his rifle.

“We didn’t start it!” Eddy protested. “That big thing punched Tr…Larry.”

“That big thing happens to be my brother-in-law and that’s his table which is why no one was sitting at it. Next time you six are on shore leave, think twice before sitting at an empty table in a bar full to the walls. NOW MOVE!”

The six obeyed.

#

Trip pulled another thread from the pillowcase in his hand.

“This cell is quite large,” Malcolm thought out loud. “I wonder if it’s not meant as a holding cell.”

“Only you would think of something like that Malcolm,” Trip said. “I can’t believe you lied back there, Michael.”

Michael was leaning against the opposite wall. He looked up, glaring at Trip. “I didn’t want them to know we were from Enterprise! We’re going to be in hot water as it is.”

“Double now that you lied.”

“I was just trying to help!” Michael stood, leaning toward Trip. “You could be a little grateful!”

“Grateful!” Trip sprung to his feet, stepping up to Michael. Since both men were of the same height they were eye to eye. “And how did lying help us? We’ll be lucky if the Cap’n doesn’t throw all six of us in the brig.”

“We have a nice brig,” Malcolm thought out loud.

“Won’t throw you in the brig, Commander,” Travis said.

“What?” Trip looked at Travis.

“You know he wouldn’t,” Michael added.

“I can’t believe this!” Trip threw up his hands, walking over to the force field.

“He wouldn’t throw you in either, Travis. You fly the ship,” Eddy said.

Travis didn’t comment.

“It sort of comes with rank, men,” Eddy said.

“Course being pals with the Captain doesn’t hurt, I’m sure,” Michael jabbed at Trip.

“Now look here,” Trip spun, pointing at Michael. “The Cap’n and I may be friends, but that won’t stop him from throwing me in the brig with everyone else. Especially for this. He’s going to be furious at me for not stopping you five. I’m the senior officer and I was supposed to be keeping us all out of trouble.”

“You didn’t start it!” Eddy pointed out. “Thy local laws brother-in-law did. Notice he’s not in here.”

“While this isn’t a bad cell, ours have much nicer facilities,” Malcolm mused.

“SHUT UP!” the five yelled at Malcolm.

They fell silent.

“This is an awfully large cell, you must admit,” Malcolm said after a few minutes.

“Malcolm…put a sock in it,” Trip snapped, sitting down on the bench next to him.

The six fell silent again. Trip laid his head back against the wall, closing his eyes. He was letting his mind work out an electrical problem back on the ship when he stopped his thoughts and listened. One of the men was humming quietly and it sounded familiar. Trip lifted his head, finding the culprit. Lieutenant Luke Anderson was sitting against the wall with his legs stretched out in front of him. He was staring down at his hands, tapping his thumbs together to the beat only he heard. He moved the toe of his shoe to the beat of the song he was humming. One by one the other four looked at Luke. He looked up, noticing they were staring him.

“Hi,” Luke said with an awkward smile

“What are you humming?” Trip asked.

“A…ssssong.”

“What song?” Travis asked.

An embarrassed smile spread across Luke’s lips. He looked down. “It’s an old song.”

“What’s the song?”

“I will survive.”

“By Aretha Franklin. I remember that song,” Eddy said.

“It’s been redone so many times how could you remember that?” Michael asked.

“I like the original version myself,” Luke commented.

“Have you heard the latest one?” Travis asked Eddy.

“Latest!” Eddy chuckled. “It was last redone twenty years ago.”

“It was a remix. They played at this club I used to go to. It wasn’t too bad. But I agree, sir.” Travis looked at Luke. “The original is hard to beat.

“Hey, what was that movie that…” Michael started, looking up. “Man, it’s been forever since I’ve seen it. Let’s see. Oh! The football teams went on strike and they hire replacements and—”

“The Replacements,” Trip, Eddy, Travis and Luke replied.

“Yeah. That’s it,” Michael laughed. “I just remembered that scene when they were in a holding cell and one started singing it and then they all started singing it and dancing.” Michael laughed a little, looking down at his hands.

The cell was silent again. Luke began humming the song from the beginning. Eddy quietly sung the lyrics.

“Oh hell,” Trip laughed, joining in with Eddy and enticing Luke to sing the words.

Travis and Eddy started singing. Eddy jumped up and started dancing and the five joined in.

“It’s official. You’re all daft,” Malcolm told them.

“Shut up and dance!” Luke told him and went back to singing.

“No.”

Travis and Luke latched onto Malcolm’s arms, ignoring his protests. Malcolm started laughing, being pushed around until he was dancing with them.

The men laughed as they missed steps and ran into each other but kept singing and dancing.

“MEN!” Archer’s voice bellowed.

The six spun around to face the front and hastily brought themselves to attention before Archer and Sista. Archer was leaning on the doorway frame staring at them. Sista stood in the hall outside the cell, watching the floor with her lips pressed into a tight.

“March, Larry, Curly, Moe, Hewey, Dewey and Louie.” Archer motioned to the stairs.

Led by Luke the six silently filed past him toward the stairs. Luke stopped suddenly, looking over his shoulder at Trip with a devious smile.

“You know…we’re already in trouble, Commander.”

Trip smiled, shaking his head. “Ah hell! Go for it.”

Luke clapped his hands together and they began singing as they danced up the stairs and through the door at the top.

“I’m going to send them back to Earth for a psyche evaluation,” Archer told Sista.

She chuckled. “Laugh now while they no see you. Get back to ship you have to be mean k’pan.”

Archer started laughing so hard he had to sit down on one of the benches in the cell and hold his stomach.


Back to Chapter 7
Continue to Chapter 9

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.