Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Truth Versus Fiction"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Drama
Description: Deleted scenes from Dough Boys, the prank war continues, the boys get in trouble and thrown in jail, Phlox endures the endless questioning of a six year old...


Old Dogs and Children (7)

Trip tried not to smile. He could hear Navta, Eartik and Porthos sneaking up behind him, but he decided to play along. Porthos barked suddenly.

“Nishta!” Navta laughed, sweeping the dog up in her arms.

Trip looked back, watching the children run up to him and sit down on the floor beside him. Eartik got on his hands and knees and peered into the darkness of the access panel. Porthos yipped excitedly, struggling against Navta’s hold. Navta let him go and he squirmed into the hole under Eartik, trying to lick the boy’s face.

“PORTHOS!” Eartik laughed, pushing him away.

Porthos stopped and leaned into the space, sniffing around it. Porthos looked up and barked. Eartik looked up too, slowly turning his head to look at something

“What are you doing?” Navta asked Trip.

“Fixing something that broke.”

“Oh.” Navta smiled at Trip.

“There’s a light flashing up there,” Eartik said, leaning even further into the access panel opening.

“There are a lot of lights flashing in there.”

“There’s a yellow light, Trip. I’ve never seen a yellow one like that.”

“Maybe it’s a one eyed monster,” Trip said, picking up a tool beside him and turning a knob that was depressed in the part.

Eartik looked back at Trip. “A one eyed monster?”

“Mm-hm. A Cyclops.”

“There’s no monsters on Enterprise, Trip,” Navta laughed.

“Yes there are. You haven’t seen me first thing in the morning.” Trip leaned toward her and roared.

Both children laughed. Navta got on her knees and leaned into the opening.

“Flashy, flashy goes the yellow light,” Eartik said.

“The yellow flashing one eyed monster?” Trip asked.

Trip heard someone coming and looked up. Ensign Hoshi and Lieutenant Porter were walking down the hall toward him. Trip nodded once to them before turning back to the part in his hands. Hoshi stopped beside Trip, looking at the three hind ends in front of Trip.

“Some view, huh?” Trip laughed.

“Do you have enough help, sir? I could call for more if you needed it,” Hoshi joked.

“I think I have more than enough. Porthos is the handiest one of all.”

“There’s a number thingy up here,” Eartik said.

“A number thingy?” Trip asked. He blew out an opening on the part in his hand and turned it over to work on the other side.

“Yeah. It’s got red numbers on it.”

“Yeah. And what’s it doing?”

“Well…I don’t know.”

“The numbers keep changing,” Navta answered.

“Do they? And what are they changing too?”

“Big numbers.”

“Big red changing numbers and a yellow flashing one eyed monster. See any gremlins in there?”

Hoshi chuckled. She crouched down, listening to the conversation.

“What are gremlins?” Eartik moved further into the opening. Porthos inched forward with the boy.

“Yes. What are gremlins, Commander?” Hoshi asked.

“Well, see, there’s lots of gremlins.” Trip smiled at Hoshi. “Have a particular one in mind you wanted to know about?”

“Gremlins are a fictitious monster of human myth,” T’Pol’s voice replied.

Trip and Hoshi looked back. T’Pol was standing behind them, watching the scene.

“Are these numbers supposed to change like that?” Navta asked.

Trip sighed. “You two are going to make me crawl in there and look, aren’t you?”

“No.” Eartik disappeared into the opening.

“Eartik!” Trip grabbed for his foot and missed. Trip laughed, watching Porthos follow him into the opening.

Navta sat back on her legs, looking at Trip. “He’s not supposed to be in there, is he?”

“No.”

“Eartik, come out of there,” Navta ordered. “You’re gonna get us in trouble with K’pan again today.”

“And Trip,” Trip added.

Eartik climbed out with Porthos right behind. Both boy and dog were streaked with grime.

“Well? What you see?” Trip asked, resting his elbows on his knees.

“There’s a box with three sets of numbers on it that keep changing and a yellow light that goes flashy, flashy.”

Trip frowned. “Are you sure, son?”

Eartik nodded. “Mm-hm.”

Trip got on his hands and knees and leaned into the opening. “I don’t see anything, kids.”

Eartik crawled under Trip and pointed straight up. Trip leaned on his side, looking up. He spotted the device the two were talking about.

“What the…Eartik, get out.”

Eartik climbed out.

“Hand me that wrist beacon, Eartik.”

Eartik looked around him. T’Pol picked up the beacon and handed it to Eartik who handed it to Trip. Trip switched it on and shone it up at the device.

“What is that?” Trip climbed out and pulled off the panel above the bottom one. The device was within reach now.

T’Pol moved closer to the opening, examining the device as well.

“You kids run along,” Trip said.

“Okay,” The two said and ran off down the hall with Porthos barking at them.

Hoshi stood and followed the children.

Trip looked at T’Pol. “What’s your thoughts?”

“It appears to be tracking our coordinates. It may also be transmitting the coordinates to someone or somewhere.”

“This ain’t suppose’ to be here,” Trip said.

“I concur,” T’Pol replied

Trip moved across the hall and pushed the companel button. “Trip to Cap’n Archer.”

“Go ahead,” Archer said.

“Sir, I think you and Lieutenant Reed should come down to deck E, section 12. Eartik and Navta found something that isn’t supposed to be here.”

“On our way,” Archer replied.

Trip moved back to the opening to wait for them with T’Pol.


Back to Chapter 6
Continue to Chapter 8

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.