Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Who Woulda Known?"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Drama
Description: The prank wars continue to ramp up, Archer has a hard time delivering fatherly punishment, Trip and Archer take a mud bath, and the crew encounters an extra-terrestrial television ad.


Edify (8)

“We’re gonna get in trouble,” Eartik whispered as he followed Navta.

“Shh,” Navta hissed back at him.

She came to a beam crossing her path and slowly eased her way around it. Eartik did the same.

“Navta, you’re gonna get us both in trouble. If my mom and dad find out—”

“Would you shut up already? We aren’t going to get in trouble.”

Eartik shot a glare at Navta’s back. Navta looked over the edge of the beam the two were walking across. Nearly 3.7 meters below them Archer was talking with some alien visitors. To his left T’Pol stood at rigid attention. To his right Hoshi was helping to translate words between Archer and the aliens. Trip stood behind them with a bored look. Navta slipped around another cross beam as she continued leading the way across the loading bay. She reached the opposite side and jumped, quietly catching the railings of a service ladder. Eartik waited for her to climb up a few rungs and then jumped to the ladder too. The two climbed to a Jeffery tube access door and crawled in. Eartik closed the door behind them, glancing at the people below. He smiled and shut the door.

#

“K’PAN!” Navta cried as she ran into the dining room.

Archer let her hug him but didn’t return it. Navta stepped back, staring at him. Navta looked at Trip. He was silently eating his supper with his eyes on his plate. She looked at T’Pol. The Vulcan was patiently cutting a piece of carrot and kept her eyes on her plate. Navta looked back at Archer.

“You’re angry K’pan. Was there a fight?”

Archer sat his fork down and folded his arms on the table. He looked at Navta.

“Do you remember when I asked you not to climb in the rafters of the cargo and shuttle bays?” Archer asked her. “Or when I asked you to stay out of the Jeffery tubes and maintenance tunnels?”

“Yes.”

“Do you remember what you said?”

Navta smiled. “Yes. I said I wouldn’t do it again.”

“Have you been in the rafters, tubes or tunnels today?”

“No.”

T’Pol didn’t speak.

“T’Pol.”

T’Pol looked at Navta. “When we were in cargo bay two with the senators from Derivon, I sighted you and Eartik crossing a beam. You both made a very risky leap onto a ladder, climbed to a Jeffery tube door and went inside. Do you wish to change your answer?”

Navta looked from T’Pol to Archer and back. “That wasn’t me.”

That wasn’t you?” Archer asked her. “I see. So either you were somewhere in the loading bay watching two children crossing that beam. Or you were crossing it with Eartik. And Eartik has already admitted that you two were up there and that you went into the Jeffery tube. His father was very angry with him about it. Do you know why?”

Navta looked down.

“Navta.”

“Because you said it’s dangerous to be in the rafters and tubes and tunnels. If we fell from the rafters we could die. And if something happened in the tubes and tunnels, sensors may not pick us up for a long time.”

“That’s right. I’m going to ask you one more time, were you in the rafters in loading bay two today?”

Navta nodded.

“You’re grounded for a week.”

Navta looked up at Archer. “What’s grounded?”

“You are to report to school, your quarters and the mess hall. No where else.”

“But what about—”

“No where else.”

Navta’s face grew angry. “You can’t discipline me!” she yelled.

“I can’t?”

“No!”

“And why is that?”

“Only Zintar or Vardee can. They’re like me. You’re not.”

Archer turned, leaning close to Navta’s face. “You are on my ship. I am your captain. I can, and I will, discipline you. And Zintar has no say in this, is that clear?”

Navta hissed like a snake at Archer.

“Stop it!” Archer snapped at her. “That’ll be enough of that. You got yourself into this, Navta. I told you this would happen if I caught you again.”

Navta started to cry. “You don’t want to do this. I can feel it.”

“You’re right, I don’t. But you broke your promise to me and you just lied to me. I warned you the last time that I would punish you if you disobeyed me again. And that’s how come I’m grounding you.”

Navta started crying a little harder. “I don’t like you!”

Archer frowned a little. “That’s too bad because I still like you even though you broke your promise and lied to me. I had your supper sent to your quarters and Ensign Paris is waiting for you. You have five minutes to get there or I’m grounding you for another week.”

Navta started crying a little harder. “I won’t do it again.”

“Go, Navta,” Archer said.

“Yeah, but—”

“Go. Navta.”

Navta turned and ran out of the dining room. Archer turned and sank back against his chair.

“Ya think a week was too long?” he asked Trip and T’Pol.

“Are you kidding?” Trip asked back. “If you were my dad, I’d have been grounded for a month for doing it, another month for lying and stuck painting the fence for breaking my promise.”

“However, she did appear to be quite distressed about being disciplined by you,” T’Pol pointed out. “She respects you a great deal and a week may not be necessary to punish her this time.”

Trip smiled at T’Pol. “T’Pol has a soft spot for Navta you know. It happened after the mother’s day card incident.” Trip smiled at T’Pol when she looked at him, “Isn’t that right, sweetheart?”

T’Pol didn’t reply.

Archer laughed at the two. “Maybe two days.”

“Ya old softie!” Trip laughed.

“I need my daily gossip reports! How else am I supposed to keep up to speed about who’s dating who and what’s happening behind my back?” Archer picked up his fork and resumed eating.

“She does snoop well,” Trip laughed.

“Due to her unobtrusive tactics and her child-like appearance, crewmen tend to view her as little threat,” T’Pol said. “However, they are aware that what they say around her is usually told to you.”

“What I tell ya?” Trip laughed. “T’Pol, I think that Vulcan in you is starting to lose a little more footing today.”

T’Pol looked at him, raising her eyebrow. “It is not departing. It is merely evolving.”

Archer and Trip laughed at her joke.


Back to Chapter 7
Continue to Chapter 9

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.