Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"THE BRIAR PATCH"
By Dinah

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: I do not own the Enterprise characters. I do, however, claim ownership of the characters that are the products of my imagination. I have not benefited monetarily from writing this.
Genre: Drama/Adventure/Angst/Trip & T'Pol
Description: This story is a sequel to “The Thorn and the Rose.”

Author's Note: I want to thank you sincerely for your reviews. I really appreciate them. I also want to thank Blacknblue for being a marvelous beta. He helps me gain a greater understanding of the characters and identify possibilities that I've missed. His suggestions, as always, have been invaluable.


CHAPTER 10: T'POL


She missed him terribly.  

T'Pol had spent the last hour in meditation, hoping Trip would join her in the white space they shared as bondmates.  Since his arrest, she'd made a point of meditating several times each day.  She knew just how difficult this situation was for him, so she was determined to provide him with ample opportunities to commune with her.  It was vital that she do whatever she could to keep up his spirits.  In return, she received tangible proof that he was alive and unharmed.  

But it had been almost twenty-four hours since she'd last been able to connect with him and she was becoming concerned.  As the minutes slipped by and she still found herself alone with her thoughts, it seemed likely that this, too, would be just another failed attempt.  

Then just when she'd become resigned to the fact that she would have to try again later, there he was.  

He always came to her dressed in his Starfleet uniform; prison attire had no place in their world.  The smile which lit up his face was the special one he saved only for her.  As she silently got to her feet, he walked over to her.  They took a moment to drink in the sight of each other.  Then he enfolded her in his arms and kissed her with all the pent-up passion of long days spent apart.

When they reluctantly broke the kiss, he whispered in her ear, "I miss you so much."

"And I you," T'Pol replied as she clung to him.  

She would have been content to remain wrapped in his arms for the remainder of their time together, but when she sensed that something wasn't quite right, she pulled back to get a better look at him.  Although he'd tried to mask them, she could see telltale signs of the strain he was under.  Worse yet, she had a feeling that he wasn't taking proper care of himself.  

"Are you well?" she asked, already fairly certain that she knew the answer.  

"As well as can be expected," he replied with a shrug.  "How about you?  How are you holding up?"

"I am in good health."  She rubbed her hands lightly over his back.  "But I will feel more at peace when we are together again."

As much as she treasured every second of their time together, she had to admit that the experience was not entirely satisfactory; the bond did have its limitations.  When he kissed her, much to her regret, she couldn't taste him or feel the soft caress of his lips against hers.  When she inhaled, she was denied the pleasure of his special scent.  And when she ran her hands over his body, she couldn't feel the fabric of his uniform or the toned muscles beneath the cloth.  Touching, yet not touching - mass without substance. Their minds and the bond they shared could bring them together, but unfortunately they couldn't fully duplicate the real world.  She could see him; she could hear his voice.  They had full access to their emotions.  Anything more was denied them.  It was far better than being apart.  But she longed for the day when there would be no barriers between them and she could enjoy her husband with all of her senses.

Tightening her grip on him, she silently renewed her pledge to find the evidence that would set him free and clear her name.  The people on Vulcan and Earth who had conspired to implicate them were obviously very powerful - they would not be easy to defeat - but she was determined to find a way.  She refused to accept that this might be all she would ever have with her husband - a half-life in a dreamlike world of their own making. 

"They just released Major Luvan," Trip said softly.  "I guess they couldn't justify holding him any longer."

"Ambassador Soval has been working to free both of you."

"Well, he'll know soon enough that he's been at least partially successful."

"And what about you?"

Trip smiled half-heartedly.  "They're getting ready to move me to Warsaw.  It could happen any minute now, so don't be surprised if I disappear all of a sudden."

T'Pol studied his face closely, but he gave nothing away.  He had become far too proficient at screening his thoughts.  "Why would Starfleet Intelligence want you?"  She hesitated as a very real possibility sent an unpleasant chill racing up her spine.  "Do they intend to take you back to Earth?"

"I don't know.  They just told me to get ready."  Trip ran two fingers slowly down the side of her face.  "If something's up, I want you to be careful.  Is Komas still with you?"

"Yes. 

"I think Luvan will try to find you.  If he offers to help, don't turn him down."

"Has anyone given you cause to think that I am in danger?"

"No," Trip responded, drawing out the word uncertainly.  "Not really.  I...I just have a gut feeling."

"I will be careful."  This time when Trip held her close, she felt a surge of love from him liberally laced with equal measures of lust and longing.

"Something else is bothering you," he said.  "What is it?"

"Minister Vaaris wants me to resign from Starfleet."

A frown crossed Trip's face.  "And?"

"Rejoin the Ministry of Security."

"I see."  Trip took a moment to process that bit of information.  "Are you interested?"

Lifting her chin, T'Pol looked him straight in the eye.  "I am only interested in getting my husband out of the brig and back in my bed."

Smiling, Trip kissed her gently on the tip of her nose.  "You won't get any arguments from me.  But given the way things stand right now, we might not be together again for a long time.  If you think the Ministry would be your best option, you should take Vaaris up on his offer." 

"I told the minister that I would only give his request serious consideration if I was allowed to continue my investigation into the charges against you."

"Did he agree?"

"Yes.  I also told him that my return to the Ministry might only be on a temporary basis.  When your name is cleared, we will not want to be separated again.  Vaaris knows we are bonded.  If you choose to remain in Starfleet, I do not believe he would try to keep us apart."

Trip stared at her wide-eyed.  "He knows?  How the hell did he find out?"?
"Apparently when we were working together, we let down our guard.  Our behavior...the way we interacted with each other gave us away.  Judging by some of the things Ambassador V'Lar has said to me in the past few days, I believe she knows as well."

"Some secret," Trip replied wryly.  "Apparently, the only people who are still in the dark are those we care about the most."

"You must not give up hope.  Vaaris contacted me earlier today to say that some new information has just come to light.  He asked for my help."

Trip tilted his head inquiringly.  "What new information?"

"He didn't say.  But maybe this will be the day we discover something important, something which will bring you back to me."

"Just watch your step.  The people who are orchestrating this mess play for keeps.  If anything happened...."

Suddenly he was gone.

T'Pol stood for a moment, staring at the void between her outstretched arms then slowly lowered them.  Her eyes scanned the surroundings, even though she knew it was futile.  Everything looked so bleak without him.  For the first time, she drew no comfort from the white expanse which she'd created in her mind.  It had become little more than a thick, smothering blanket, so unlike the place of solace and serenity she had come to rely on.

Her words to Trip came back to her:  you must not give up hope.  She had to get hold of herself.  She was free; Trip was not.  The burden of discovering the truth fell to her, and she was determined not to let him down. 

With that thought in mind, she slowly brought her meditation session to an end.  Minister Vaaris would be arriving soon. 


 

T'Pol took one final look around her room in the Sanctuary on Mount Seleya.  Yes, she had everything. 

An attendant had just brought word that Vaaris' shuttle was landing and, since she would not be returning to the Sanctuary, she had to finish packing the change of clothes, formal robes and toiletries which Ambassador V'Lar had provided for her when she'd been unable to safely return to the United Earth Embassy.  Charged with keeping her safe, Lieutenant Komas had insisted that she never stay more than two nights in any location.  T'Pol could see the logic in his thinking, but it was still inconvenient to be constantly on the move.  

Reaching down, she pulled on her red uniform, the one Trip loved so much.  After hastily fastening the closure, she closed her eyes and ran her hands lightly over her body.  She knew how much her husband loved the feel of the soft fabric beneath his fingertips - and how much she loved the feel of his strong, yet gentle hands on her.

It was still a source of some amazement to her that a Human had become such an integral part of her life, but she had no regrets.  She had come too close to losing him. 

After the death of her father, she'd refused to acknowledge the void his loss had left in her life; it was far too painful.  She knew that if she allowed herself to think about him, about the pivotal role he'd played in her life, she would not be able to keep her emotions in check.  That was clearly unacceptable.  It was only after the sudden death of her mother - when history began to repeat itself - that she slowly began to realize that she'd developed a habit of pushing away the people who meant the most to her because she couldn't bear the thought of enduring another traumatic loss.  Her relationship with her mother had never recovered; they'd remained estranged to the end.  Then she'd started down the same path with Trip.  It was only when he'd transferred to Columbia that she was forced to face the fact that he might be gone from her life for good.

But he had come back to her. 

Once she'd dropped her guard enough to let Trip into her life, he amply provided the stability and love she desperately needed.  Their life together had not been easy - for a time they'd even decided to go their separate ways - but they had always managed to find one another again.  Her older counterpart had been correct:  she could not imagine what her life would be like without him. 

T'Pol took a deep breath.  It would be unwise to delay any longer.  Minister Vaaris would be eager to depart as soon as possible.  After smoothing her hand over her borrowed robes one last time to remove a stubborn wrinkle, she closed her travel bag and left the room. 

Komas was waiting for her outside the door.  Without uttering a word, he started down the corridor, taking it for granted that she would follow him.  For a split second she was mildly annoyed by his presumption.  Trip, ever the gentleman, would have taken her bag and then motioned for her to go first.  Before her posting to Enterprise, she would never have seen Komas' actions as a breach of etiquette.  It was, after all, only logical that the lieutenant would want to keep both hands free; he had been assigned to protect her.  But she had surprisingly grown accustomed to the little courtesies which were so much a part of life on a Human ship. 

As they passed the unprepossessing door which separated Torok's garden from the outside world, her thoughts turned once again to her wedding.  It was true that the ceremony had been an impromptu affair, but that, in no way, made it any less meaningful.  For a citizen of Vulcan, it was a great honor to be married by the High Priest.  But for her, its significance went far beyond that:  it also marked the end of a decades-long search.  Once she'd finally agreed to open her heart to Trip and accept him as her mate, she also found herself.  Never in her life had she felt such peace, such serenity, even amidst the deadly perils which swirled about them each and every day.  Trip was right when he'd observed that Mount Seleya would always be a special place for them.

Komas stepped out of the Sanctuary and took a quick look around before motioning for T'Pol to follow.  They walked side by side across the landing and started down the main staircase.  There were half a dozen shuttles lining the landing area.  Their occupants were probably among the dwindling number of mourners who had traveled to Mount Seleya to pay their respects to the crews of the Klomak and Psthan.

As she started down the staircase, T'Pol saw Vaaris standing next to a shuttle parked at the far end of the landing area.  Major Pyk of the Ministry of Security stood protectively to one side of the minister.  With the sun well on the way to its zenith, the major raised a hand to shield his eyes as he scanned the sky in all directions.  A tall, slender young female was posted at the back of the shuttle, keeping watch.  She appeared to be the same sublieutenant T'Pol had last seen two days ago at V'Las' abandoned home, only then she'd been standing guard over the body of a traitor, who'd chosen to take his own life.

When she reached the bottom of the steps and started across the landing area, she allowed herself to speculate for the first time on the reason for Vaaris' visit.  He'd mentioned new information from an unexpected source, but he hadn't gone into specifics, not that it really mattered.  She would take what was given to her and squeeze it until every ounce of information had been extracted.  If she was persistent, someday these collected facts would reveal the truth, and her husband would be free once again.

"You are late," Vaaris said chidingly, as soon as T'Pol and Komas walked up to the shuttle.  "Sublieutenant Pavis, prepare to take off.  Lieutenant Komas, stow the commander's bag."  He flicked one hand rapidly, motioning for them to get aboard. 

T'Pol had never seen the minister this restless before.  Something important must have happened, but she knew better than to ask about it.  He would tell her what was going on in his own good time.  She would just have to be patient.

As soon as she entered the hatch, she blinked twice then stopped dead in her tracks. 

"It is good to see you again, T'Pol."  Koss started to get up, then apparently thought better of it and simply waved a hand in the general direction of the seat next to him.

"Why are you here?" she asked, clearly perplexed. 

"Koss is the unexpected source I spoke of earlier," Vaaris said, from behind her.  "Now take a seat, T'Pol, so we can get underway.  We are already behind schedule."

Still unsettled by the presence of her former husband, T'Pol nodded distractedly and moved to the port side of the shuttle.  She hesitated before taking the seat next to Koss, but when she could think of no logical reason to refuse, she gingerly eased herself down onto the bench, judiciously leaving ample space between them. 

When she finally glanced over at Koss, she could tell that he was amused by her obvious discomfort.  That look was all that was necessary to snap her back to reality.  She was a married woman, bonded to a brave man she respected and adored.  Koss was a part of her past; Trip was her future.

She took a deep breath, calming herself, then she lifted her chin and said, "It is pleasing to see you, as well."

Koss turned his body slightly to face her.  "When I heard of your difficulties, I tried to see you, but the Ministry of Security and...others thought that was imprudent.  I'm not sure how I can help, but I'm willing to do whatever I can, if you will let me."

T'Pol took advantage of the brief diversion afforded by the shuttle's departure to collect her thoughts.  Could Koss actually be of some help to them?  His family did have connections, and he certainly seemed to be sincere.  But what did an architect really know about subversives and the shadowy world of espionage?

As Mount Seleya faded into the distance, Vaaris folded his small, rather delicate-looking hands in his lap and said, "Koss came to see me late last night.  He appears to have made a discovery which may finally give us a clue as to how classified information was diverted from Enterprise to Romulan agents in Shi'Kahr."  Vaaris paused.  "But perhaps I should let him explain."

All eyes turned to Koss. 

After glancing at T'Pol one more time, he said, "For the past six months, I have been working on a detailed survey of important ruins on Vulcan and throughout our territories.  The primary purpose of this project is to research the historical significance of each site, document the condition of any structures still in existence, compile a visual record of any noteworthy architectural details, especially those featuring religious symbols, keep careful notes..."

"Get to the point," Vaaris grumbled.  Today, he apparently had little patience for lengthy explanations. 

Raising an eyebrow at the minister's comment, Koss continued:  "Recently, I have been working in the L-langon Mountains.  I had just finished my report on the ruins of a small monastery, which is listed in documents in the Sanctuary's archives as predating the Time of Awakening..."  Koss raised a hand placatingly in response to a stern look from Minister Vaaris.  "...when I came upon an abandoned V'tosh ka-tur settlement."

T'Pol tensed.  Even though she knew it was illogical to react so strongly five years after the fact, the mere mention of the V'tosh ka-tur brought back bitter memories of Tolaris and her own abject folly.  Taking a deep breath, she calmed herself by focusing instead on Koss' story.

"Technically, this settlement did not fall within the parameters of my project," Koss continued, apparently oblivious to her discomfort, "but it piqued my interest.  Data from the Bureau of Records indicated that the last remaining settlers had departed five years and three months ago, so needless to say, I was surprised to see signs of recent activity.  I decided to take a closer look and found the remains of a body in one of the huts.  The corpse had..." 

"...this transceiver clutched in his hand," Vaaris interjected.  He produced a small metal box, holding it carefully between his thumb and forefinger.  Tilting it slightly, he pointed towards the bottom.  "The imprint on the base indicates that it once was the property of Starfleet."

"Starfleet?"  T'Pol was unable to keep the surprise out of her voice.  "Are you certain that it is authentic?"

Vaaris returned the tiny device to the inner pocket of his robes.  "Admiral Tamura was very accommodating.  When he checked the serial number, he discovered that the quartermaster on Jupiter Station issued this unit four months ago to Lieutenant Roscoe W. Allan of Starfleet Intelligence.  That is rather remarkable when you consider that Lieutenant Allan was killed in the United Earth Embassy bombing over a year ago.  As would be expected, the Admiral was most displeased.

T'Pol's mind raced as she considered the possibilities.  "Has the body been identified?  Is it Human?"  

"Animals found it before I did," Koss said, "but I don't believe it was Human."

"A forensic unit has been dispatched to the site," Vaaris said, with a glance at Major Pyk, who nodded in confirmation.  "I am sure they will have some answers by the time we arrive."  
 
T'Pol leaned forward.  She hardly dared to hope.  "According to information I've received, Starfleet investigators have discovered that the illicit transmissions from Enterprise were sent to some location in the L-langon Mountains, but they have, as yet, been unable to determine the exact coordinates.  Is it possible that Koss has stumbled on the site accidentally?"  She glanced over at Koss, but his face remained noncommittal. 

"Anything is possible," Vaaris said, "but we need facts, not random guesses." 

He turned towards the pilot.  "Sublieutenant Pavis, what is our estimated time of arrival?"

"Twenty-four minutes and thirty seconds, sir," she replied, without turning around.  "For security purposes, a more direct course was deemed unwise." 

Clearly impatient to begin his investigation of the site, Vaaris pursed his lips and took a deep breath.  Turning toward Major Pyk, he said, "I want Admiral Tamura to receive a full account of our findings.  Hold nothing back.  Is that understood?"

There was a distinct look of discomfort in the Major's eyes.  "That goes against Ministry policy, sir.  Such information is provided only on a need-to-know basis." 
 
"This situation necessitates an easing of the rules.  I expect you to comply with my wishes."

"Yes, sir."  Pyk didn't look completely convinced of the wisdom of the minister's decision, but he knew better than to pursue the matter any further. 

"Now I would like to be briefed on the actions being taken to secure the site."

Pyk pulled a padd out of the right thigh pocket of his uniform pants, jabbed his finger at the display a few times to bring up the appropriate data, and began to brief Vaaris.

As soon as the minister's attention was focused elsewhere, Koss said in a voice pitched for T'Pol's ears alone, "Are you all right?  I have been concerned about you."

"I am well," T'Pol replied softly.  "The days following Commander Tucker's arrest were difficult, but I have made the necessary adjustments.  I spend my time reading the Kir'Shara and working to free my..."  T'Pol paused as she regained her composure.  She'd almost made a serious mistake.  "...my colleague."

At the mention of Trip's name, Koss turned his head away from her and stared out the front viewport.  His rigid posture - so different from when she'd first sat down beside him - left little doubt in her mind that he still cared for her.  That surprised her.  He had, after all, only recently become betrothed to another woman. 

But then again, maybe she was wrong.  Maybe she'd misread the situation entirely.

 "Ambassador V'Lar told me of your coming marriage," she said.  "I would like to offer my best wishes."

"I am fulfilling my obligation to my family.  It is a responsibility I take seriously."

His last comment stung, but she was determined not let it distress her.

"I also take my responsibilities to my family and my clan very seriously," she replied firmly.  "That is why I consented to marry you, even though it was against my wishes." 

When he still refused to face her, she decided it was time to pose a question that had long bothered her.  Her eyes moved around the shuttle.  The other occupants - the pilot at the helm, Vaaris and Pyk seated across from her - all still appeared to be preoccupied with other things.  Even Komas was busy, checking and rechecking equipment, which had been carefully stowed in storage locker in the rear.  She would have to risk it.  She might not get another chance.   

"We would still be married," T'Pol murmured, "if it had not been for you.  You obviously wanted the marriage; you were most insistent.  Why then did you decide to release me from my obligation to you?"

"It was the right thing to do."

"Be that as it may, your family must have been displeased.  You took a great risk for me.  Why did you do it?"

The muscles in Koss' jaw clenched. At first, she thought he would continue to withdraw from her, but just when she'd almost given up on learning the truth, he turned to face her once again.

"Your assessment of the situation is flawed," he said.  "I did not want to end our marriage.  That decision was made for me by my family."

T'Pol drew back in surprise.  This had never occurred to her.  Koss' family had seemed so adamant that they marry.

"I don't understand.  Why would your parents do that?  They unjustly accused my mother of theft in order to force me to marry you.  Why would they suddenly release me from my vows?"

"It would be best if you did not pursue this any further, T'Pol."

She shook her head.  "I think I have a right to know.  Why did your parents...."'

"Because you were no longer of use to them."

T'Pol's eyes widened as she tried to make sense of Koss' revelation.  "Use to them?  I don't understand.  According to our agreement, I would eventually return to Vulcan and fulfill my marital obligations to you.  I would bear your children, see to your needs, care for your home - what more could they expect from me?"  

"You may see yourself as worldly, T'Pol, but sometimes you can be incredibly naïve."  There was an unmistakably bitter tone in his voice.  "My father was interested in you because of the influence you'd gained with the Humans and Starfleet."

"Influence?" 

"You had, after all, gone into the Expanse with them, supported them, even when Vulcan did not.  They would undoubtedly have been grateful and rewarded you accordingly.  My father believed that you would be perfectly placed to lobby for issues important to the High Command, especially the cessation of diplomatic relations between the Humans and Andorians."

"I think your father seriously overestimated my position with the Humans." 

She paused a moment.  "Is that why your parents agreed to allow me to return to Enterprise after our marriage?" 

"Yes.  As my wife, you would owe your loyalty to my family.  Before long, you would have begun receiving instructions from my father.  If you had refused to cooperate, your mother's position at the Vulcan Science Academy might, once again, have been in jeopardy.  You see, my father will go to any lengths to protect Vulcan.  That is why he wants an advocate in Starfleet."

T'Pol was shocked.  Herac had come close to placing her in a completely untenable position.  His demands would have compromised her position in Starfleet and destroyed the trust she had worked long and hard to build with Jonathan Archer.

"But you still haven't answered my question," she pressed.  "Why did you end our marriage?  What happened to your father's carefully laid plan?"

"That should be obvious."  Koss seemed a bit surprised that he needed to explain, but he finally acquiesced.  "You traveled to Vulcan with Captain Archer.  It didn't take long for those around you to realize that you had very little influence with Archer.  He holds the power, not you.  And as you know, word spreads quickly in government circles."

T'Pol took a deep breath, held it, then let it out slowly.  She'd had a very narrow escape. 

Suddenly a thought popped into her head.  "Is that why you assisted Captain Archer when he asked you for the transporter codes?  You wished to ingratiate yourself with him."

"Of course.  By giving him the codes, he became indebted to me and to my family.  He may no longer be aware of that obligation, but I can assure you that my father has not forgotten."

"Koss, we found a Vulcan listening device on Enterprise.  Did you plant it?  Was that just another part of your father's plan to keep track of my activities?"

"My father suggested it, but as I explained to Minister Vaaris earlier today, I agreed to do it because it seemed like a logical precaution.  Actually, it was quite easy to gain access to the computers on Enterprise.  I was allowed to come and go as I pleased.  It goes without saying that an alien would never be given such unrestricted access on a Vulcan ship."

"But why?"

The warmth in Koss' eyes never wavered.  "Even though our lives were going in two very different directions, I still wanted to be sure that you were safe and well.  You were my wife, T'Pol.  I care for you.  I always will."

T'Pol opened her mouth, but what could she say.  She believed Koss when he said he cared for her.  But to spy on her - that was unacceptable.

"You...have a new betrothed now," she finally said.  "You should turn your attentions to her."

The warmth vanished.  In its place was an icy stare, which chilled her as thoroughly as a visit to the Polar Regions on Earth. 

"As you turned your attention away from me?" he replied.  "For a Human."

"For a man I'd spent four years getting to know.  For a man I'd learned to rely on - someone I could trust, even in the most difficult circumstances."    

"And so you chose to bond with him rather than with me."  He lifted his chin and looked away again.  "I knew as soon as we knelt before the priest that he had claimed you, but I didn't care.  From that moment, according to law, you belonged to me.  And you always will."

Before T'Pol could reply, Sublieutenant Pavis called from her place at the helm:  "Minister, we are approaching our destination."

Twisting around in her seat, T'Pol looked out the viewport in time to see the shuttle hurtle through a narrow pass in the rugged L-langon Mountains and enter a small valley.  From her vantage point, she had a clear view of the barren, rock-strewn valley floor and the settlement off in the distance.  The small stone huts, nestled at the foot of a massive mountain, were arranged in three hexagonal groups; one end of each hexagon was open, creating a common area at the center.  As the shuttle swept over the settlement, T'Pol speculated that this common area might once have been the site of a garden - there appeared to be a well nearby and trenches which might have been used for irrigation - but after five years of neglect, nothing remained.  Today it had been pressed into service as a landing area for the two other Ministry shuttles which were there ahead of them. 

As soon as their shuttle touched down, Vaaris was on his feet and out the hatch.  Koss pointed to one of the huts in the hexagonal grouping off to the left, which seemed to be the center of activity, and Vaaris immediately headed in that direction, with the others in tow.  When they were about half way to their destination, the officer in charge of the investigation - a female lieutenant with the stocky build of someone who spent their time behind a desk rather than in the field - hurried over to the minister and identified herself as Lieutenant Stril.  As they covered the remaining distance, she gave him a brief rundown of the efforts to secure the site. 

Vaaris took in everything the lieutenant said, but the slight downturn of his lips seemed to indicate that he wasn't completely satisfied.  That impression was confirmed moments later when he asked why two forensic teams had been dispatched with only minimal security.  Stril's response that this was the standard security complement for a forensic team drew a stern look from Major Pyk, who quickly proceeded to call for additional support.  

When they reached the hut, Stril stepped aside, allowing Vaaris to enter first.  T'Pol was not far behind.  There was only one room - four stone walls surrounding a packed-earth floor - with one small window in the wall opposite the door.  T'Pol had no trouble surveying the empty interior of the hut, however, thanks to the artificial lighting provided by the Ministry of Security.

The body lay uncovered directly below the window.  Taking great care to keep the revulsion she felt from showing on her face, T'Pol tried to take in as many details as possible.  The corpse, which lay sprawled on its back like a cast-off doll, was dressed in a plain brown shirt and pants; a light-weight rust-colored robe lay rumpled in a nearby corner.  Animals had removed chunks of flesh, but the head and all four limbs were still present, although somewhat disarranged.  It was obvious, by sight and smell, that the body had been dead for some time.  

"Tell me what you've discovered so far," Vaaris said, as he stepped forward to take a better look at the corpse.

Quickly producing a padd from her uniform pocket, Lieutenant Stril replied, "The body has been identified as Spaac, Second Secretary to the High Council." 

"What was the cause of death?" Vaaris asked.  

"The back of his skull was crushed.  The extent of the damage would seem to indicate that he died instantly." 

Major Pyk stepped around Vaaris and, kneeling down, began to examine the corpse.  "Spaac was reported missing over a month ago.  This body has certainly not been here for that length of time."

"Quite right, sir," Lieutenant Stril said in clipped tones. "Tests indicate that he was killed approximately eight days ago." 

"Eight days..."  Pyk stood up and turned to Vaaris.  "That leaves us with a number of questions."

"Too many questions," Vaaris replied, deep in thought.  "Why did Spaac disappear?  Did he go willingly or under threat of violence?  Where was he during those missing three weeks?  Why did he come to this remote location?  Why was he holding a transceiver?"

"Was he complicit in the theft of classified information from Starfleet?" T'Pol added quietly.  "To whom did he owe his ultimate allegiance?  And who decided that he had to die?" 

"Precisely."  Major Pyk walked over to the corner, picked up the discarded robe and tossed it over the body.  "Unfortunately, this pile of bones will not give us the answers we need."  He planted his hands on his hips and looked around the room.  "There must be something here - if not in this building, then somewhere in the general vicinity." 

Thrusting both hands behind her back, Lieutenant Stril drew herself up.  "I can assure you, sir, that our investigation has been thorough.  Since we are far from finished, I am certain that..."

Minister Vaaris waved a hand, silencing her, then turned and headed for the door.  "The air in here is fetid. I am going outside."

Before he could cross the threshold, however, a young woman, dressed in the dark brown coveralls of a forensic technician, slipped past him, looking for Lieutenant Stril. 

"I think we have found where he was living," the young woman said, when she reached Stril.  "There are a few pieces of furniture and some personal effects in..."

"Where?" Vaaris snapped.

Glancing his way, the technician hesitated before pointing off to the right.  "At the far end of the settlement."

Vaaris didn't wait to hear more.  "Show me," he said, as he and Major Pyk strode out the door.  The minister, who was almost a head shorter than the major, could move quickly when he was properly motivated.  With the prospect of new evidence at hand, he had no trouble matching Pyk step for step.  Their rapid progress, however, left the young technician and Lieutenant Stril scrambling to catch up to the two men.

When T'Pol started to follow them, Koss stepped in front of her. 

In a flash, Lieutenant Komas was by her side, weapon drawn.

"That will not be necessary, Lieutenant," she said.  "I am sure that Koss does not intend to harm me."  Apparently unconvinced by her reassurances, Komas remained motionless, his unblinking eyes fixed on Koss.  "Holster your weapon," she said firmly.  "That's an order."

Still wary, Komas did as he was ordered but remained rooted to the spot.  He obviously had no intention of being caught off-guard if Koss made any sudden moves.    

When T'Pol returned her attention to him, Koss motioned toward the body on the floor.  "Haven't you seen enough?  Why don't we return to the shuttle?  Vaaris and the others will join us when they have finished."

"The discovery of this body, and any information we find that is connected to it, is just as important to me as it is to Vaaris," T'Pol said emphatically.  "Please step aside.  I need to learn all that I can."  

"To help a Human?" Koss scoffed.

"To free an innocent man and restore my reputation." 

She felt that should have been explanation enough, but evidently Koss still wasn't convinced. 

"If you remain with Tucker, he will only continue to drag you down into the filth.  He is no good for you."

"On the contrary," she snapped, her patience at an end, "he is very good for me."  She didn't have time for this nonsense.  She needed to know what they'd found in that other hut.  Squaring her shoulders, she said, "Please step aside.  If you do not, Lieutenant Komas will see that I am not inconvenienced any further."

Koss apparently realized that this was one fight he wasn't going to win.  As soon as he took a step back and motioned for her to precede him, she was around him and out the door.

T'Pol managed to catch up with Vaaris and Pyk just as they reached the other hut, which was structurally identical to the one they'd just left.  The forensic technician, a petite young woman with light brown hair which curled slightly around her face, pointed to a cot, which, at the moment, was being carefully examined by a colleague, and then to a small metal box which was tucked into the far left corner of the room.  "Someone has obviously been living here for some time," she observed. "That chest contains food.  There's a small heating unit on the floor next to it."  Pivoting in place, she motioned toward a small metal folding table pushed against the wall on the right.  "The only personal possessions are over there."

Hands clasped behind his back, Pyk walked over to the table and quickly scanned the objects aligned there.  Looking up, he asked the technician, "Have these things been processed?  May we touch them?"

"Not yet, sir."    

T'Pol looked over the contents of the tabletop:  two padds; a well-worn plate, cup, fork and spoon; a razor-sharp knife which was obviously intended to be used for more than simply cutting meat during the evening meal; a small fleet-issue first aid kit; a small tool kit; and another transceiver.  Everything was lined up in two tidy rows.  

Taking a seat on the small bench next to the table, Vaaris took a moment to carefully scrutinize the objects on the tabletop.  "Something is not right," he murmured.

"I assure you, sir, nothing has been touched," the technician said tightly.  She may not have been sure of the identity of the man seated at the table, but she obviously realized that he was someone of importance. 
 
Vaaris waved a hand, silencing her.  "It's all too neat.  I knew Spaac.  He was a competent worker, but he never lined things up like this.  His workspace was orderly, as would be expected of a man in his position, but there was a random quality to his placement of objects.  These things have been laid out like an exhibit in some museum."

"If you are correct," T'Pol said, "then Spaac may not have been the person living here.  It is possible that his killer occupied these quarters."     

"Or all of this could have been staged for our benefit," Pyk added, through tight lips.  "Spaac could have been killed somewhere else and his body dumped here for us to find."  He flicked a hand dismissively toward the table.  "Along with these trinkets."

"But there was blood on the floor," Lieutenant Stril said defensively.

"That is only a minor obstacle," Pyk countered.  "Anyone who could plan and execute such a deception would be more than capable of procuring the necessary blood."

"We cannot afford to simply dismiss these materials as forgeries," T'Pol said.  Although she realized that this could be just another dead end, it was not something she wished to contemplate.

"You are, of course, correct," Vaaris said.  "This could be exactly what it appears to be:  Spaac's living quarters.  The killer may have known nothing about this hut and its contents.  Everything we see here could be genuine." 

He stabbed an index finger at the tabletop.  "I have to know what is on those padds."

"We will begin processing them immediately, sir," the young forensic technician said.
 
"But can we ever be one hundred percent certain that those padds were not placed here to mislead us?" Pyk asked.  "This might be nothing more than an elaborate ruse to divert us from..."

"Major," Sublieutenant Pavis called urgently, from the doorway, "two unidentified ships are approaching our location.  They're closing fast."

"That is the additional security I requested," Pyk replied. 

"They have not responded to our hails."

Pyk suddenly grew very still.  "Have you tried all frequencies?"

"Yes, sir."

"How much time do we have?"

"Twenty seconds.  The mountains screened their approach."

"Everybody out," Pyk said forcefully.  "Scatter and take shelter away from the buildings." 

"But, sir," Lieutenant Stril said, somewhat bewildered, "it is illogical to assume that the ships are hostile.  You sent for..."

Before Stril had a chance to finish her sentence, two explosions rocked the settlement in quick succession. 

"I said everybody out!" Pyk bellowed. 

Grabbing Minister Vaaris by the arm, he jerked the smaller man off the bench and propelled him towards the exit.  Another explosion, this one much closer, convinced the others in the room that the Major was correct in his assessment of the situation.  They immediately dropped everything and fled. 

"We must go, T'Pol," Koss said as he grabbed for her arm, but she pulled away from him.  Unwilling to walk away from evidence that might free her husband, she lunged for the table, quickly scooping up the padds and transceiver, then she sprinted from the room. 

Komas and Koss were waiting for her outside the door.  As soon as she appeared, the three of them took off for the common area.  As she ran, T'Pol looked up in time to see two sleek shuttles streaking towards them.

"Down," she yelled, as she fell to the ground and covered her head.  The padds, still clutched in her hand, were unprotected, but it couldn't be helped.  Suddenly she felt a weight on her back and knew instinctively that it was Koss. 

A split second later two explosions followed in quick succession.  Koss tightened his grip on her as debris rained down around them.

"Get up," Komas snapped, as he gave Koss a vigorous shove. 

When T'Pol felt Koss' weight shift, she quickly pushed up with her arms and scrambled to her feet.  The hut they had just left was a nothing more than a smoking pile of rubble.  Glancing overhead, she saw the two shuttles bank sharply to port as they prepared to come around for another pass.  They had to find some cover. 
 
"Follow me," Komas ordered as he headed for the closest hut, keeping low as he ran.  T'Pol was right behind him.  Her mind was so busy cycling through their options that she barely noticed when Koss joined them behind one of the walls.

"Why are they firing at us?" Koss shouted as he brushed the dust from his hair and shoulders.

"Why don't you tell us?" Komas replied coldly.  "You are the one who led us into this trap."

"I had nothing to do with this," Koss responded indignantly.  He looked to T'Pol as though he was seeking confirmation from her.  Apparently he didn't receive the show of support he'd expected because his expression suddenly changed to one of concern.  "T'Pol, you must believe me.  I am not responsible for this." 

T'Pol didn't know what to think.  Treachery didn't seem to be a part of Koss' nature, but then how well did she really know the man.  She had entered into an arranged marriage with him, but by then her bond had already begun to form with Trip.  When she knelt before the priest and pressed her fingers against Koss', there was no spark, no connection, only a void as cold and empty as the farthest regions of space.  No, she thought as she tried to clear her mind.  Koss would never willingly hurt me.    

Out of the corner of her eye, T'Pol saw a flash a motion.  With the agility and grace of a le-matya, Sublieutenant Pavis darted across the open area between the two rows of huts and pulled up next to Komas.

"There are two dead so far," she said tightly.  "Both technicians.  I lost sight of Major Pyk and Minister Vaaris."

They all ducked their heads in unison as the shuttles opened fire again. 

"It isn't safe here," Komas shouted over the din.  "There is a gully..."  He pointed off to the left, beyond the huts.  "...about twenty-five meters from our position.  They will have trouble maneuvering because it's near the foot of the mountain." 

"Why leave the buildings?"  Koss clearly disliked the idea of sprinting across open ground. 

"In an explosion, stone shards can be just as deadly as metal fragments."

"Maybe we could reach one of the shuttles?"  Koss was still trying to find a "safe" option, but there weren't any.

"Too dangerous."  Komas motioned for Pavis to holster her weapon and get ready.  "Besides, the shuttles may have already been destroyed."

"As soon as you get into the open, spread out," T'Pol ordered.  "We will be harder to target."  When she saw the ships bank to circle around again, she nodded to Komas.  It was time to go. 

Trip believed in luck.  If such a thing did, in fact, exist, she needed it now.  Their only hope was to go unnoticed amid the general confusion.  Once they were spotted...

"Now!" Komas yelled. 

T'Pol took off at a dead run.  The two security officers spread apart, as ordered - Komas on her left and Pavis on her right - but Koss stubbornly remained by T'Pol's side.

Suddenly, there was a subtle shift in the sound of the shuttles overhead.  She knew what that meant.  One of ships had broken away from the other.  With all the chaos around them, it was illogical to think that she and her companions were the targets, but somehow she knew it was true.  Perhaps she should have paid closer attention to Trip when he warned her that not all luck was good.

When she heard Komas shout, "Down!" she acted instinctively.

Diving over the edge of the gully, she rolled down the steep, rocky bank.  Along the way, she lost her grip on the transceiver, but that only made her more determined to hold onto the padds at all cost.  Something fell on her as soon as she reached the bottom, but she barely had time to process that information before the ground lurched from the force of an explosion that tore over and around her.  She heard a scream - the sound of a katra being torn forcibly from a battered and broken body - and then there was only silence.

 


 

T'Pol heard a sound from somewhere far off in the distance. 

Someone was calling to her. 

She wanted him to stop.  Her head hurt and the noise, faint thought it was, was only making the pain worse.  ?
Then someone grabbed her arm and roughly gave it a shake. 

Why wouldn't he leave her alone?  Groaning, she tried to pull away, but he refused to let go.  Even though her brain was sluggish and befogged, she knew it wasn't Trip.  He would never treat her with so little consideration.

"-an y-- hear -e?"

The voice was back, a little louder this time, but it was still hard to make out the words because of the buzzing in her head.

"We cannot --main here an- lon--r."

When she didn't respond, strong hands grabbed her wrists and pulled her into a sitting position. 

Groaning in pain, she tried to lie down again, but the hands remained firmly clamped around her wrists.

"Commander T'Pol." 

Slowly, the self-discipline of a lifetime kicked in and she opened her eyes a crack.  The light was too bright, but she forced herself to pry her eyes open a little further.  When she was finally able to focus, she saw Lieutenant Komas staring at her intently. 

She wondered vaguely why his face was streaked with reddish dirt.

"Can you hear me?" he said again, slowly and distinctly.  His voice still sounded like it was coming from a long way away, but at least now the words made sense.

"Yes," she whispered.  Her throat felt dry and clogged with dust.  She coughed several times, only increasing her discomfort.  If only she had a drink of water.    

"We must leave."  Craning his neck, Komas quickly scanned the surrounding terrain.  "It is not safe to remain here."

Feeling something wet trickle down her neck, she ran a trembling hand over her right ear.  When she looked at her palm, it was streaked with blood.  She stared at it for a moment as if she couldn't quite believe what she was seeing, then she dropped her hand into her lap.

"What happened?" she whispered breathily.  She was becoming aware of an unpleasant tightness in her chest.
 
"We were fired on."  Komas pointed toward the ground to her right.  "By falling on you, he probably saved your life." 

T'Pol turned her head in the direction the lieutenant was pointing and saw Koss lying sprawled in the dirt beside her.  It took a moment for her to process what she was seeing - the blood, the gaping mouth, the empty eyes - but she soon realized that he was dead. 

Leaning over, she touched his face, but there was nothing left of the man who'd once married and divorced her.  His katra was gone.  Koss had given his life for her - but why? 

Apparently sensing her preoccupation, Komas took hold of her chin and turned her face towards him.  "Can you walk?"

T'Pol pushed his hand away before replying, "I think so." 

"We cannot afford to delay any longer."

Gritting her teeth, she slowly rolled to her left until she was on her hands and knees and then tried to push herself up, but her body refused to cooperate.  After a second failed attempt, Komas effortlessly hoisted her onto his shoulder. 

As he made his way up the bank and out of the gully, T'Pol raised her head just enough so that she could see the body of her former husband one last time.  She owed him her life.  That was something she would never forget. 

As Komas turned his body slightly to get a better handhold, she caught sight of another corpse off to the right.  Squeezing her eyes shut, she dropped her head so she wouldn't have to look at the remains.  She had a feeling that she should know the identity of that person, but trying to remember only increased the pounding in her head.  She would make sense of things later. 

Once they were on level ground again, Komas picked up the pace.  The jostling only added to her discomfort, but fortunately it was short-lived. 

When they reached the common area, Komas placed her carefully on the ground and then headed for the only other survivor in sight - a sublieutenant who was frantically working on the only shuttle that was still in one piece.  The two men exchanged a few words and then Komas returned to tell her that he was going to look for survivors.

"Do you believe the shuttle can be repaired," T'Pol asked quietly. 

"No."  Komas glanced over his shoulder at what appeared to be little more than a burnt-out hull.  "But Sublieutenant Krall will keep working as long as there is even a remote chance of success, because our only other option is to leave on foot.  That will be difficult if we find others who have been injured."

"Perhaps it would be wise to call for help."

For a split second Komas looked offended.  "I have tried repeatedly, but without success."

Apprehensively, T'Pol cast her eyes skyward.  What if their assailants returned?  Would she and the other survivors be able to fight them off?  Probably not.  Komas was right.  They had to leave this place as quickly as possible. 

She reached for her communicator and surprisingly found it still intact.  "Find Minister Vaaris."  She cleared her throat.  She couldn't seem to get rid of the raspy tone in her voice.  "I will try to summon help."  With a brisk nod of the head, Komas left at a run.

As she cycled through the various frequencies trying to find an open channel, T'Pol took a look around.  The devastation was appalling.  Of the thirty huts in the settlement, only three remained standing; the others had been reduced to little more than smoldering piles of rubble.  The charred scrap metal which lay scattered around the common area was undoubtedly all that remained of the other two shuttles.  She couldn't see any bodies, but she knew they were there, probably buried in the rubble. 

Since such thoughts were not productive, she bent to her task with a greater sense of urgency.  If there were survivors, Komas would find them.  But they would all die if she couldn't find a way out of this desolate valley.

Komas returned twice, each time with a badly wounded person slung over his shoulders.  On his third trip, he found Vaaris.  As Komas walked towards her, the minister cradled in his arms, she noticed that a technician was stumbling along behind the lieutenant; the man appeared to be dazed, but otherwise unhurt. 

When T'Pol first saw the minister, she thought that he, too, had perished.  His face was pale and motionless when Komas laid him on the ground next to her, but upon closer inspection, she could see the subtle rise and fall of his chest.  His skin and clothes showed no traces of blood, but that didn't make the injuries he'd sustained were any less life-threatening.

"Major Pyk is dead," Komas said tightly, as he knelt beside her.  She could see at once that he was struggling to maintain control of his emotions.  "He called to me and pointed toward a pile of debris.  I was able to free Minister Vaaris, but when I returned to check on the major, he was dead." 

"Vaaris is alive because of him," T'Pol said softly.  "He died in the performance of his duties."

"He met his death at the hands of cowards."

Before T'Pol could reply, Komas got to his feet and headed off across the common area. 

With a growing sense of helplessness, T'Pol looked down at Vaaris.  There were no medical supplies.  No scanner to assess his condition.  No food.  No water.  She tightened her grip on her communicator.  She had to get hold of herself.  It was counterproductive to waste time on things which were beyond her control.  She would run through the frequencies again.  This time maybe she would get a response.

Suddenly, she heard a noise off in the distance.  Lifting her eyes, she anxiously searched the horizon.  She could just make out one...no, two shuttles headed their way. 

They were back.  They'd picked up her calls for help and were coming back to finish the job. 

Her first thought was to get to her feet; she refused to die quietly here in the dust.  As she struggled to rise, she felt a hand grip her right arm.  Surprised, she jerked her head around and found herself looking into the terrified eyes of the middle-aged technician who'd followed along behind Komas.  With his help, she managed to get to her feet.  Now she needed to find a weapon. 

Just then, the sound of the shuttles caught her attention.  It wasn't the same.  The difference was subtle, but it was there.  She looked overhead in time to see the shuttles streak past.  They were larger - definitely not the same as the two that had attacked the settlement. 

"I believe help has arrived," she said to the technician.  His response to her observation was surprisingly less than enthusiastic.   

When the lead shuttle landed close by and the hatch opened, no one moved.  Evidently, the technician was not the only one who had doubts.  Sublieutenant Krall and Lieutenant Komas had taken up positions on opposite sides of the common area; both men had their weapons drawn.  Finally, a man in the grey uniform of the Ministry of Security stepped through the hatch.  He planted his feet, swept his phase rifle slowly back and forth as he surveyed the scene of devastation before him, and then pointed the muzzle toward the ground.           
     
Once some level of trust had been established, things moved quickly.  When scans revealed that there were no additional life signs present, Vaaris, T'Pol and Komas were loaded aboard.  Immediately after they lifted off, the second shuttle landed and rescued the four remaining survivors. 

As soon as they were airborne, T'Pol had the disquieting feeling that she had forgotten something important.  She tried to remember what had occurred before they were attacked, but the answer was always just beyond her reach. 

Just then, Lieutenant Komas walked over to her and said, "Commander, Minister Vaaris is awake.  He is asking for you."
    
She slowly made her way from her seat to the bench at the rear of the shuttle, where Vaaris lay.  The minister's eyes were open, but by the look of his face - his grey complexion, the lines of pain around his eyes - his condition had not improved.  He motioned for her to sit on the end of the bench, while Komas activated the soundproof security screen, which could be used to transform the rear of the shuttle into a secure holding cell.

"It is good to see you, T'Pol," Vaaris murmured, as soon as she was seated. 

"I am pleased to see you, too," she replied.  "I was concerned for your safety." 

"As my enemies have discovered, I am a hard man to kill."

"It is regrettable that so many lives have been lost," T'Pol said.  "I had hoped that this would be the breakthrough we have been waiting for." 

"Instead, we appear to have walked into an ambush."  Wincing, Vaaris brought one hand up to rub his chest. 

"Koss is dead, Minister," Komas said.  "He will not pose a threat to us again."

"We do not know that he betrayed us," T'Pol countered. 

"Koss...dead," Vaaris said distractedly.  "Herac will not be pleased.  He has lost his only son." 

"Perhaps this will motivate him to take a more active part in trying to identify the people who are attempting to destabilize our government," T'Pol said.

"It is unfortunate that we will never know what was on those padds," Vaaris sighed.  "They might have pointed us in the right direction." 

The padds, T'Pol berated herself.  She'd forgotten about the padds.  How could she have been so careless?  She'd had them in her hands, but now... 

"Commander T'Pol had the foresight to take them with her before she ran from the hut," Komas said quietly.  Leaning over so that he was close to the minister, he reached into his uniform pocket and started to pull out the two padds. 

"Put them away," Vaaris said urgently.  He tried to raise his head enough to see if any members of the rescue team had been observing them through the transparent screen.  "I know Major Pyk personally vouched for every person here, but we must still exercise caution." 

"As soon as I return to Shi'Kahr," Komas continued, "I will take them to..."

"No," Vaaris said firmly then clutched at his chest as he began to cough.  When he'd recovered sufficiently, he continued:  "Take them to Admiral Tamura."

"To a Human?"  It was obvious that Komas did not approve of the minister's decision.  T'Pol had to admit that she, too, was somewhat taken aback. 

"You are badly injured, Minister," she said.  "Perhaps this is not the best time to be making such an important decision."

"It must be now.  We cannot afford to wait."
 
"Sir," Komas said stiffly, "I believe that what you are proposing is most unwise.  Humans have no business meddling in Vulcan affairs."
 
"Two days ago a lieutenant in the Ministry of Security tried to blow us up.  Today Koss leads us into a trap," Vaaris replied, his voice raspy.  "Who among our own people can we trust?  Over the past month, I have had to order the arrest of colleagues, teachers, acquaintances - people I've known most of my life - because they were working for the Romulans." 

"But..."

"We are at war.  We are at war with ourselves and there will be no victors."  Intent on making his point, Vaaris struggled to sit up, but his strength failed him and he slumped back down on the bench.  "Those padds may contain valuable information.  They must not fall into the hands of our enemies.  If we cannot trust each other, we must look beyond Vulcan for help.  Admiral Tamura is an honorable man. I believe he will help us."   

Komas pressed his lips together.  He apparently still had his doubts, but he was a man who knew how to follow orders.  "I will deliver them to Admiral Tamura personally."  
 
"Good."  Vaaris turned to T'Pol.  "And I want you to go with him."

T'Pol was momentarily stunned.  "You want me to leave Vulcan?"

"Yes, as soon as possible."

"But only yesterday you wanted me to rejoin the Ministry of Security."

"The situation has changed."

"Starfleet has issued an order for my arrest."  T'Pol raised a hand to her temple and began to rub in a slow circular motion.  This discussion was only making her headache worse.  "How I can I continue to search for the truth if I am taken into custody?" 

"I would rather have you in custody than in your grave, T'Pol.  There are people here who want you dead." 

"We don't know that I was a target.  The sole purpose of the attack might have been the destruction of the V'tosh ka-tur settlement.  We might have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"You don't believe that any more than I do," Vaaris said, shifting uncomfortable on the bench.  "You were not there by chance.  Koss specifically asked that you accompany us.  He was most insistent."

"But Koss died saving my life.  If he knew about the attack, why didn't he get to a place of safety while he still had the chance?"

"I cannot answer that, but the fact still remains that your life is in danger."

When T'Pol started to protest again, he raised his hand, silencing her.  "When I spoke to Admiral Tamura earlier today, he told me that two men in Starfleet Security uniforms tried to remove Commander Tucker from the embassy jail last night.  They had orders purportedly signed by Admiral Gardner to transfer the commander to the Shenandoah for transport back to Earth.  When the guard on duty tried to verify the orders, he was killed." 

T'Pol sat up straighter.  Trip had said nothing about this. 

"Fortunately, the plot was discovered before they were able to release Commander Tucker.  One of the men was killed, trying to make his escape; the other was badly wounded."  A frown creased his brow.  "Both men had green blood." 

T'Pol looked at Komas.  It was obvious that he was just as surprised as she was. 

"This could not have come at a worse time," Komas observed.  "Starfleet will no doubt jump to the wrong conclusion."

"They already have," Vaaris replied.  "According to the official position, this incident provides conclusive proof that Commander Tucker has been working for the Vulcan government."

T'Pol squeezed her eyes shut.  Someone always seemed to be one step ahead of them.  "You said one of the men was wounded.  Perhaps if he could be questioned..."   

Vaaris shook his head.  "He died early this morning without regaining consciousness.  But all is not lost, T'Pol.  Admiral Tamura was called in immediately.  He remembered that Soval had performed a mind meld on a man who had been injured in the bombing of the United Earth Embassy, so he asked for Major Luvan's help."

Komas nodded approvingly.  "That was most intelligent.  Luvan has had extensive training in a wide variety of interrogation techniques, including mind melds."  

"But would Starfleet accept information obtained in that way?"  T'Pol asked. 

"Gardner and Tamura are both willing to be open-minded," Vaaris managed to say before being overcome by a coughing fit.

Komas leaned down to grab the medical scanner, which had been left lying on the bench next to Vaaris, but the minister reached out his hand and stopped him.

"I must finish what I have started," Vaaris wheezed, as soon as the coughing had subsided.

"I only want to check on your condition," Komas replied in a surprisingly gentle tone of voice. 

"Later."  The minister motioned weakly for him to step back.  "This is important."

When Komas had complied with his wishes, Vaaris said, "Luvan discovered that the man was one of our people.  The plan was to abduct Commander Tucker, use him to bring you, T'Pol, out into the open, and then turn both of you over to the Romulans.  This would eliminate you as potential threats here on Vulcan, and later, with the proper persuasion, you would be expected to provide valuable information to the Empire."  

T'Pol took a deep breath while she turned this over in her mind.  "In my estimation, their plan stood little chance of success.  Starfleet would have tightened security as soon as Commander Tucker was arrested.  It's almost as if these men were sacrificed intentionally."

"For what it's worth, Admirals Gardner and Tamura agree with you," Vaaris said.  "But just because the attempt failed does not mean that the plan was unsuccessful.  Someone was obviously concerned that Commander Tucker might eventually be set free and was determined to do whatever was necessary to keep that from happening.  They appear to have accomplished their objective. 

"Until we can provide proof of the commander's innocence, Starfleet's official position will remain unchanged.  You are in the best position to secure that proof, T'Pol.  That is why I want you to go with Lieutenant Komas.  If you stay here, there will be more attempts on your life and eventually some assassin will succeed."

"The minister is correct," Komas said matter-of-factly.  "The traitors who attacked us today did not intend to leave any survivors.  As soon as the firing stopped, one of the shuttles landed.  Two people dressed in Fleet uniforms got out and began tracking life signs.  My field of vision was limited, but I saw them kill one of the technicians, a badly wounded woman who was unable to defend herself.  Judging by the sounds I heard, there were probably others.  Since it was my duty to protect you, Commander, I could not reveal my position.  There was nothing I could do to help."  T'Pol saw the muscles in his jaw tighten, but his facial features remained unchanged.   

"They must have received word that reinforcements were on the way because they turned around and returned to their shuttle without searching the areas outside the settlement.  I can only assume that they did not think the remaining survivors could be eliminated before help arrived.  It was a logical decision on their part.  Sublieutenant Krall and I would not have gone quietly."   

"Could you identify them?" T'Pol asked.

"I only saw one of the clearly, and that was at a distance.  I did not know him, but I will recognize him if we ever meet again."

"Unfortunately, there is more," Vaaris said weakly.  "The mind meld may have revealed something far more disturbing than the attempted abduction of Commander Tucker.  The injured man firmly believed that his assignment was the beginning of reunification."

"Reunificiation?"  T'Pol was all too aware of the internal strife that was currently tearing Vulcan apart, but she had never seriously considered that reunification was a possibility. 

"Yes.  He had been told that if he succeeded, someone was prepared to seize control of our government, paving the way for the Romulans to return in triumph."

"If this man was considered expendable, why would he be entrusted with such sensitive information?" Komas scoffed.  "Perhaps reunification was only mentioned to gain his cooperation."      

"What you say may be true," Vaaris said, "but I do not think we can afford to simply dismiss this."

"Did Luvan discover when this is supposed to take place?" T'Pol asked. 

"No, but given today's occurrences, we may not have long to wait."

"I will contact Soval," T'Pol said.  "He can alert the members of the High Council to the potential danger."

"You realize, of course, that if a coup is imminent, the ambassador will no doubt be warning the perpetrators as well as their potential victims," Komas said.

"That cannot be helped."  T'Pol closed her eyes for a moment and concentrated on removing the sharp tone from her voice.  When she opened them again, she said, "For all we know, assassination may be the traditional method for gaining power in the Romulan Empire.  They have certainly tried it before here on Vulcan.  We cannot risk condemning innocent people to death simply because we don't wish to alert a traitor."

Komas studied her face as though attempting to measure her resolve.  Finally he said, "As soon as we are done here, I will see that round-the-clock protection is provided for all members of the High Council."

"Perhaps they will rethink their plans, if they know we have been warned in advance."  T'Pol pressed her lips together.  "This might buy us a little time."

"T'Pol, you are the only direct link Vulcan has to Starfleet," Vaaris said.  "Even with Komas as your bodyguard, I do not believe that you will be safe as long as you remain on Vulcan." 

Out of the corner of her eye, T'Pol saw Komas stiffen.  He obviously did not agree with Vaaris' assessment of his abilities. 

"Admiral Tamura has offered to protect you," Vaaris continued.  "Take the padds to him.  Find the truth.  You may be our only hope."? 
T'Pol sighed inwardly.  How could she say no?  Vaaris' condition was worsening.  Even if he lived, he would be in no position to do what needed to be done for quite some time.  Soval and V'Lar had their hands full trying to keep the members of the Coalition from severing their ties with Vulcan.  Torok was not available.  Who else could she trust?  This time she would have to shoulder the burden.
 
"I will do as you ask."

With that, Vaaris seemed to relax.  Closing his eyes, he said, "I am tired.  I would like to rest now."

Without further comment, T'Pol rose.  As soon as Komas deactivated the security screen, she slowly returned to her seat, stopping on the way only long enough to tell a member of the security team that the minister was still alive but probably would not be for long unless he received immediate medical attention.  The man informed her that they were only six minutes from their destination, then he went to monitor Vaaris' condition.

She hadn't been seated long before Komas took the seat next to her.  He quietly told her that he would obtain transportation for them and handed her a small communicator that Vaaris had recently entrusted to him.   

As soon as she was alone, T'Pol flipped open the communicator and searched until she found the link that would put her in direct communication with Admiral Tamura.  She had given her word to Vaaris that she would leave Vulcan immediately, and she intended to honor that pledge. 

Staring out the front viewport, Vaaris' communicator clasped firmly in her hands, T'Pol finally allowed herself to focus on Trip for the first time since the attack.  She could tell that he was worried about her, but at least he knew she was still alive.  It was unfortunate that she had no time to meditate.  She would have liked to confide in him.  So much had happened; so much had changed.  But even without meditation, she could feel his presence in every fiber of her being.  His strength was her strength.  No matter how difficult the problems she faced, she would never be alone.  He would gladly share her burdens for as long as he lived. 

It was fortuitous that Trip had been transferred to Warsaw earlier in the day.  She would need his assistance.  Now all she had to do was find a way to convince Admiral Tamura that it would be in Starfleet's best interests to allow her to see her mate.  She didn't expect this to be easy, given the present circumstances, but she could not afford to fail.  She was fighting for more than just her freedom and Trip's...she was fighting for Vulcan and the freedom of her entire people.


To be continued


Back to Chapter 9

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.