Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"THE BRIAR PATCH"
By Dinah

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: I do not own the Enterprise characters. I do, however, claim ownership of the characters that are the products of my imagination. I have not benefited monetarily from writing this.
Genre: Drama/Adventure/Angst/Trip & T'Pol
Description: This story is a sequel to “The Thorn and the Rose.”

Author's Note: I apologize for the delay in finishing this chapter. The words just wouldn't come.

I also want to thank you sincerely for your reviews. I really appreciate them. I also want to thank Blacknblue for being a marvelous beta. His suggestions, as always, have been invaluable.

This chapter includes several words which normally aren't a part of polite conversation. I hope no one is offended.


CHAPTER 9: ARCHER

Jonathan Archer raised his fork and mechanically shoveled its contents into his mouth. Pasta primavera wasn't a personal favorite of his - he was more of a meat and potatoes man - but tonight he really didn't care what was on his plate. He just wanted to get this meal out of the way and head for his ready room. He had a lot of work to do.

The meeting to present his convoy plan was scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, and it was probably going to be a tough sell. Since Tellarite ships were still the only ones which had been attacked, the other species were beginning to question why they should become involved. Starfleet alone couldn't provide the necessary protection for all the cargo ships; they would have to have help. Unfortunately the Coalition couldn't compel its members to participate. The other species would have to be convinced that it was in their own best interests to cooperate. That unenviable task had fallen to him. He now had to find a way to make it work.

But first he had to get through this interminable meal. Then he could concentrate on the job at hand.

While he finished chewing, he glanced around the table at his fellow dinner companions. Commander Lucia Sabatini sat across from him. Yesterday he'd rashly promised her lunch and a tour of Enterprise. The meeting with the Vulcans earlier in the day had precluded that, but, true to his word, he'd sent a shuttle to collect the Starfleet prosecutor at 1800. Now Lucy, charming and vivacious as ever, had managed to put legal concerns aside long enough to chat amiably with Doctor Phlox. Seated next to Phlox, Lieutenant Commander Kevin Byum, Archer's first officer, was in the middle of a spirited conversation on crew morale with the new chief engineer, Anna Hess. Byum - tall, thin, all elbows, knees and sharp, angular features - was a nice enough guy, but he couldn't begin to match T'Pol's expertise. Perhaps that's why he constantly seemed to gravitate toward Hess. She understood what it meant to be handed shoes that were too big to fill. Glancing to his right, Archer saw Hoshi motioning with her hands while she quietly talked things over with Malcolm Reed. He knew they were both desperately trying to find some scrap of evidence that would prove Trip's innocence. Judging by the gleam in Hoshi's eye, maybe they were finally on to something.

And then there was the honored guest.

In true Vulcan fashion, Torok didn't converse while he ate, but he seemed to be fascinated by his fellow dinner companions. Archer was willing to bet that this was the first time he'd ever been alone in a room full of Humans - and one very upbeat Denobulan. This would, undoubtedly, be one evening the High Priest would never forget.

Archer looked over and saw Torok watching him. He was forced to admit that it made him feel slightly uncomfortable. He'd spent the better part of the afternoon with the High Priest - given him a tour of the ship, talked to him about trivialities - but he'd learned next to nothing about the man. Torok took everything in, but he gave away nothing of himself in return.

What did Trip see in this man? Archer scooped in another mouthful of pasta and methodically began to chew. Why did he feel comfortable confiding in him? Sure, Torok had a commanding presence, but he was a Vulcan? How could he possibly understand a Human, especially one as emotional as Trip? The two men had never set eyes on each other until a few months ago, and yet Trip had immediately poured out his heart to him. Why?

Was it strictly an issue of privacy? Trip had tried to keep some important things from Starfleet - his depression and his continuing problems with Terra Prime - and he'd been right to be concerned. Lucy Sabatini had confirmed as much during his interrogation. And Archer knew he could have done nothing to help. If Trip had confided in him and someone in authority and had asked him point blank about Trip's health, Jon knew he would have eventually had no choice but to divulge what he knew, regardless of the damage it might do to Trip's career. The same expectation of confidentiality that existed between a doctor and patient or a lawyer and client didn't exist between a captain and his subordinates. Jon's responsibility first and foremost was to Starfleet.

But maybe it went beyond the need for privacy. Earlier in the day, Jon had been standing outside the embassy's interrogation room when Torok was ushered in to see Trip. After a moment of shocked silence, Trip had jumped to his feet, almost knocking his chair over in the process. Just before the door slid shut, Jon had seen a smile spread across Trip's face. There'd been no embarrassment or guilt because of his shackled hands. His expression had clearly shown the respect and affection he felt for Torok.

At one time, Jon had seen that same look directed toward him, but not anymore.

Somehow over the past several years, everything had changed. As his responsibilities had increased, Jon knew that the job - whether he liked it or not - had to take precedence over his friendship with Trip. Trip understood that; he knew the pressures Jon had to face every day. But Trip was a social animal. He needed someone to talk to. In the Expanse, T'Pol had apparently become his confidant. Now it was the High Priest. Jon knew he should have seen something like this coming, but he still felt the loss nonetheless. If the truth be told, Trip's friendship meant far more to him than he was willing to admit.

But with the Romulan threat...with the Coalition in danger of falling apart, he had no choice but to focus all of his attention on...

Suddenly he felt a hand on his arm, bringing his attention back to the here and now. A quick glance around the table revealed questioning looks in seven pairs of eyes. Hoshi removed her hand from his arm and, keeping a careful eye on him, said, "The bridge has been calling you, sir." She pointed toward the comm panel on the wall behind him.

As soon as the words were out of her mouth he heard: "Bridge to Captain Archer."

With a mumbled, "Thanks," he reached for the comm button. "Archer here."

"I'm sorry to bother you, sir, but Admiral Uhlani wants to speak with you. He says it's urgent."

"All right. I'll take it in my quarters. Archer out."

Excusing himself, he left the room and moved quickly down the corridor, torn between relief at being away from his guests and concern over what new disaster loomed on the horizon. He knew the admiral wasn't an alarmist. He wouldn't contact him - and use the word urgent - if everything was copacetic.

As soon as he entered his quarters, he went straight to his desk and with the press of a button the admiral's face filled the monitor.

"We've got a problem," Uhlani said, before Jon's butt even made contact with the chair seat.

Stifling a sigh, Archer sat back and pasted a weak smile on his face. "Why don't you fill me in, sir?"

"The Andorian government has decided to sever diplomatic relations with the remaining members of the Coalition."

Archer jerked upright. "They must be out of their minds. Why?"

"They didn't offer any explanation."

"Can't they see that the Romulans are only trying to isolate them from the other worlds in this quadrant?"

"They either haven't thought that far ahead or they don't care. Either way, the Andorians aren't our biggest concern at the moment. Our embassy personnel have been given until noon day after tomorrow to leave Andoria."

"Do we stand our ground or do we go?" Archer asked, as both hands curled into fists.

The expression on Uhlani's light brown face tightened. "We go. We may be forced into a war with the Andorians and their Romulan allies someday, but not now. We're not ready." He tilted his head and looked searchingly at Archer. "I thought you of all people would want to avoid a fight, Captain."

"I'm not looking for a fight, Admiral, but how can we prevent a war if we can't keep the lines of communication open?"

"Unfortunately it seems the Andorians have taken that option out of our hands. The important thing now is to get our people out of harm's way. Columbia is standing by. They'll start loading passengers and baggage early tomorrow morning. Admiral Gardner wants Enterprise to break orbit immediately and head for Andoria. We want you in a position to provide support if Captain Hernandez runs into trouble."

"I have two guests on board."

"Time is short. Can you take them with you?"

"One of them is Torok. I don't think the Vulcans would appreciate it if we flew off with their High Priest."

"Damn. Is he still there?" Uhlani muttered as one hand kneaded the back of his neck. Evidently Archer wasn't the only one who was feeling the strain from this latest diplomatic setback. "Admiral Gardner told me Torok was paying you a visit, but I thought he'd be long gone by now. Get rid of him as fast as you can, but be polite. We've got enough problems without pissing off the Vulcans, too."

"Aye, sir. Tell Captain Hernandez we're on our way."

"Good luck," Uhlani added, before ending the transmission.

Alone once again, Archer planted his elbows on his desk and covered his face with his hands. Everything was falling apart. Earth was rushing headlong into another war. That much was clear. Only this time it could set two quadrants ablaze. He had to do something to stop it before it was too late.

Jon straightened up and scrubbed his hands over his eyes. He didn't have time for this. Planting his hands on his desk, he pushed himself slowly to his feet. He had to get back to his guests.

When he reached the dining area, his first officer was waiting for him.

"Commander Sabatini had another appointment this evening, so I sent her back to the embassy in Shuttlepod One. She wanted me to pass along her thanks for your hospitality, sir."

Archer motioned toward the door. "Are the others still in there?"

"The party broke up when the commander left...except for the High Priest. He decided to stay put. I think he wants to talk to you alone."

"I'm afraid our chat will have to wait. We're heading out. See that Shuttlepod Two is prepped. The pilot will be staying on Vulcan until we return; choose someone who isn't vital to the running of the ship." Tense and tired, Archer curled his right hand into a fist and drove it into his left palm. "Who's returning Commander Sabatini to the embassy?"

"Lieutenant Reed."

Shit, Archer thought to himself. He couldn't leave without his tactical officer.

"How long have they been gone?" Archer asked tightly.

"It couldn't be more than two or three minutes."

Archer slapped the comm panel beside the door. "Archer to the bridge."

"Lieutenant Waverly here, sir."

"Contact Shuttlepod One. Tell Lieutenant Reed to turn around and get back here on the double. Someone else will transport Commander Sabatini to the embassy."

There was a moment of silence before Waverly replied, "Aye, sir. Bridge out."

Archer turned back to his first officer. "Prepare to leave orbit as soon as Commander Sabatini and the High Priest are safely on their way."

"Can you tell me where we're headed?" Byum's rather prominent Adam's apple bobbed like a cork caught in rough water, but to his credit, he never allowed his nervousness to show on his face. Fresh from a three-year stint on Admiral Leonard's staff, this was his first tour of duty in deep space.

"Andoria."

Archer quickly filled in his first officer then sent him off to brief the other members of the senior staff. Now all that was left for him to do was bid farewell to the High Priest and send him on his way.

When the door slid open, Jon saw that Torok hadn't budged. He was still sitting quietly - hands folded on the table in front of him - in the same chair he'd occupied at dinner. Judging by the expectant look in his eyes, he already had the evening's agenda planned. It was too bad Jon was going to have to disappoint him.

"My apologies, sir, but I'm afraid our visit will have to be cut short. Enterprise has been ordered to go to the aid of another Starfleet vessel. We'll be leaving immediately. I've arranged for one of our shuttlepods to take you back to Mount Seleya."

Torok studied him carefully then asked, "Are you at liberty to tell me where you are going?"

His first impulse was to say no, but then Archer thought better of it. The Vulcans had been open and honest with them today. And this man was the High Priest. What harm could it do?

He took a couple of steps forward and gripped the back of the closest chair. "We're going out to meet Columbia."

Torok furrowed his brow, bringing each wrinkle into sharper focus. "Is there a problem with the Andorians?"

"Well..." Archer was somewhat taken aback that Torok was aware of Columbia's location. Evidently, when the High Priest said that Soval kept him informed, it wasn't an overstatement.

"I know how to keep a confidence, Captain," Torok said quietly but firmly. "If you tell me that the information goes no further, I will honor your wishes."

Archer could accept that - anything to get this show on the road. "The Andorians have broken off relations with the remaining Coalition powers. We're evacuating our embassy."

"I see." Torok ran the palms of his hands lightly over the tablecloth, smoothing away several small wrinkles in the process. "Has the High Council been informed of this?"

"I don't know for sure, but I rather doubt it. And yes, I would appreciate it if you would keep this to yourself. I'm sure your government will find out soon enough." Archer motioned edgily toward the door. "Now if you don't mind, we really do have to go, sir. I have my orders."

"Actually, I think it would be best if I stayed."

Caught off guard, Archer was momentarily at a loss for words. Finally he replied, "I don't think that would be wise, sir. Your people will be worried about you."

"Nonsense. Contact Ambassador Soval. He will take care of everything."

"But I'm not sure I can guarantee your safety." Jon struggled to keep the frustration out of his voice. He didn't have time to play games with a stubborn old man. "We don't know what we might be getting ourselves into. If anything happened to you while you were on this ship, it could have a negative impact on our relations with Vulcan."

"If it will ease your mind, I am prepared to take full responsibility for my actions." Torok pursed his lips ever so slightly. "This is not a decision I make lightly, Captain. I think I can be of assistance."

"I don't see how you could possibly..."

Torok raised one hand, silencing him. "Logic dictates that I should remain here."

"Logic! Archer snapped, his patience at an end. "What does logic have to do with...?"

A voice from the comm mercifully saved Jon from saying something he probably would have regretted later.

"Byum to Captain Archer."

Archer's eyes remained on the High Priest as he reached for the comm button on the wall behind him. "Go ahead."

"Lieutenant Reed is back on board. Is the High Priest ready to depart?"

Archer's eyes were still locked on Torok's. He'd worked with T'Pol long enough to recognize when a Vulcan was prepared to dig in his heels. He didn't like the idea of keeping the High Priest on board Enterprise, but he wasn't prepared to forcibly remove him either. Like it or not, Torok was going to win this round. Dammit! He hated being maneuvered into doing something against his better judgment.

"Torok's decided to stay. Launch the shuttlepod and get underway as soon as possible. When we clear the system, go to warp five."

"Aye, sir. Is there anything else?"

"Contact Ambassador Soval. Inform him of Torok's decision to remain on board. Archer out."

Returning his attention to the High Priest, Archer said coolly, "I hope you enjoy your stay with us, sir. Now if you will excuse me, I have a ship to run. There's a steward in the next room. He'll be happy to see to your needs."

"I regret that you feel it is necessary to leave. I was hoping that we would have time to talk."

Archer took a deep break and counted to ten - very slowly. He wasn't sure when he'd lost control of this situation, but it couldn't continue. He had work to do. "Unfortunately I'm rather busy right now. Perhaps I'll have some time later to chat."

"At the risk of being presumptuous, may I ask what business is so pressing that it requires your immediate attention?" Torok lifted one eyebrow questioningly. "Andoria is a long way away."

Archer could do little but curse inwardly. There was, of course, no pressing business. He knew it. And what was worse, he knew that Torok knew it. Until they rendezvoused with Columbia, there was little he could do except monitor the situation. That meant that for the moment his time was his own.

But he couldn't just sit around and do nothing. He refused to accept that his efforts to bring people together had been a total failure. Right now he should be ensconced in his ready room, studying background materials, reading reports. If he dug deep enough maybe he could find a way to bring the Andorians back into the fold. He just needed time, inspiration, and a little luck.

Torok unfortunately had other ideas. Motioning towards the chair Archer was still clutching with both hands, he said, "Why don't you have a seat, Captain? We have a great deal to discuss."

"This isn't a good time."

"Commander Tucker is worried about you. I see now that his concern is justified."

That stopped Archer cold. He gave his head a bit of a shake to clear his mind. He wasn't sure he'd heard right. Slapping one hand against his chest, he exclaimed, "Trip's worried about me?"

"Yes."

"Is that what the two of you talked about today?"

"Briefly, yes."

"Trip should be worrying about himself," Archer bristled. "He's the one sitting in the brig, not me."

"Some prisons have physical boundaries; others do not. If we let down our guard, certain emotions - anger, fear, lust, jealousy - can trap and hold us far more securely than any locked door. That is one reason why we Vulcans work so diligently to control our emotions."

"That's all very interesting, but I don't see how it applies to me."

"Don't you, Captain? You've seen firsthand how easily a person can be trapped by his emotions and brought to the brink of ruin. When you realized what depression and grief were doing to Commander Tucker, you tried to help him. Can't you see that now he is only trying to help you?"

"This is crazy." Archer threw his arms in the air in frustration. "I'm not suffering from depression."

"That may be true, but you are obviously under a great deal of stress. That can be as damaging to your health as some virulent disease."

"Stress is part of my job. I can handle it. Trip should know that by now."

Jon started to pace, but came to an abrupt halt when he looked over and noticed that Torok was watching him closely. Okay, he had to admit that he'd been tense lately, but it was hard to remain detached when the Coalition was falling apart faster than a sand castle at high tide. And, yes, he still had a few issues to resolve from his time in the Expanse, but this wasn't the time or the place for some amateur attempt at psychoanalysis. Besides, he hadn't allowed the added stress to affect his work. Trip was just blowing things out of proportion.

"Have you sought help from a physician?" Torok asked. "I understand that your Doctor Phlox is very skilled."

"With all due respect, I don't think that's any of your business." Archer's voice was a little sharper than he intended, but his patience was wearing thin. "I'm capable of handling my own affairs."

"I see." Reaching down, Torok took hold of his cane, which was lying on the deck next to his chair. When he straightened up again, he pushed his chair back and slowly got to his feet. "Commander Tucker said you would not be cooperative. It appears that he was correct. Since there is no point in wasting any more of your valuable time, perhaps you would direct me to a room where I could meditate."

"Look, if I thought I needed professional help, Starfleet has plenty of qualified doctors."

"You don't believe I'm qualified to assist you?"

"I'm not questioning your qualifications. I'd just feel more comfortable talking to someone who's..." Archer suddenly realized he was sailing into dangerous waters and snapped his mouth shut.

"...Human?" Torok finished the thought for him. "That is perfectly understandable, Captain. Although I would have thought that the man who had the honor of carrying Surak's katra would have no qualms about confiding in a Vulcan. But then you know best."

Squeezing his eyes shut, Jon scrubbed a hand over his forehead as he tried to think. Relations with the Vulcans were hanging by a thread, and he'd just managed to offend their high priest. Oh well, it couldn't be helped. His decision was made. He had no intention of baring his soul to a perfect stranger. And he sure as hell didn't want someone poking around inside his head again. If he could lay his hands on Trip right now, he'd kick his sorry ass clear back to Earth for getting him into this mess.

"I apologize, sir," Archer finally said. "It wasn't my intention to be insulting."

"Your apology is accepted."

"I know you mean well, but...what was right for Trip isn't necessarily right for me." Archer walked over and with the press of a button the door slid open. "I'll send a crewman to escort you to a room where you can have some privacy. Good night, sir."

 

 


 

At breakfast the following morning, Archer was restless and on edge. He'd checked with Starfleet three times in as many hours, but the situation on Andoria hadn't changed for the better. Before long, Columbia's crew would begin transporting essential baggage up from the embassy. Ambassador Steinbach, embassy personnel, and their dependents would go aboard this evening. Any other citizens of United Earth who wished to be evacuated had just twenty-four hours to report to the embassy or risk being left behind in a potentially hostile environment.

Captain Hernandez was going to have her hands full, and here he sat with nothing to do. He tossed his fork down and pushed aside his plate of pancakes and sausage. He'd never been good at waiting, even as a child.

If only Trip and T'Pol were here, the three of them could talk things over and... No. He refused to think about that. Trip and T'Pol were gone, and there was a better than even chance that they'd never be back. His eyes slowly traveled from one empty chair to another. He couldn't deny that he missed them...but he didn't need them. He didn't need anyone. He could manage on his own. He'd proved that to himself time and time again.

Taking a last swallow of orange juice, he set the glass down hard on the table and pushed back his chair. He needed to do something constructive. Perhaps an apology to Torok was in order. He'd been a rotten host last night. Sure the High Priest's talk about stress and depression had made him feel uncomfortable, but at this point in his career he should be able to set personal considerations aside for the greater good. Yesterday, before they'd parted company, Admiral Tamura had told him that he should feel honored that Torok had accepted his invitation; the high priest traditionally never left Mount Seleya. Here he'd been given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make points with one of the most influential members of Vulcan society and he botched it. Today, he promised himself, would be different.

Fortunately he had a first-rate crew. According to his steward, the High Priest had breakfasted with Phlox over an hour ago and when last seen was headed off for a more in-depth tour of sickbay. Knowing the doctor as well as he did, Archer figured that it was a safe bet Torok was still there.

As soon as he walked through the sickbay doors, he saw the two men standing together in the doctor's lab. Judging by the cooing sounds coming from Phlox's menagerie and the yard-wide smile on the doctor's face, the visit so far had been a rousing success.

"Good morning, Captain," Phlox called across the room. "Is there something I can do for you?"

"Not this time. I just came by to check on our guest." Smiling, Archer walked over to them. When he reached Torok, he said, "You appear to be in good hands, sir."

"Doctor Phlox is an excellent teacher." The High Priest motioned towards the various cages, tanks and crates. "I am impressed by his willingness to make use of the healing agents that nature provides. It is a philosophy that Vulcans have long embraced."

Archer bent down until he was at eye level with the tank which held the osmotic eel. He tapped one finger lightly on the side of the tank and was rewarded with a subtle flexing of one of its four arms. There was no denying the value of the small aquatic creature - he had, after all, personally benefited from its healing powers - but he didn't think he'd ever get used to a bandage with suction cups.

Straightening up, he said, "It may have taken some of us awhile to adjust to the doctor's methods, but I think every member of this crew would agree with me when I say that now we'd be lost without him."

The doctor's face brightened like a sun ablaze at high noon in response to the captain's praise. "I do what I can."

"Engineering to Doctor Phlox."

The doctor quickly covered the few steps to the comm panel. "Go ahead."

"Hess here. There's been an accident. I've got two people on the way to sickbay with burns on their hands. I don't think the injuries are serious, but they're in a lot of pain."

Before Phlox could reply, Archer snapped, "Will we be forced to reduce our speed?"

"No, sir," Hess barked. From her tone of voice, Archer could almost picture her standing at attention. "We're good to go."

"I'll be ready when they arrive," the doctor said, with a wary glance at the captain. "Phlox out."

Turning back to Torok, he continued: "Unfortunately, duty calls. I've enjoyed our time together this morning. Perhaps we'll be able to talk again."

"I look forward to it."

Motioning toward the door, Archer said, "I'm on my way to the bridge. Why don't you join me? My communications officer is very proud of our universal translator. I know she'd like to tell you more about it."

Torok only response was a nod of the head. Moments later, however, as the two men slowly walked down the corridor toward the turbolift, he said, "I appreciate your hospitality, Captain, but I do not need to be entertained. I am accustomed to fending for myself. There is a great deal going on here. I am perfectly content to sit and watch."

Torn between the need for diplomacy and the need to know what was happening on his own ship, Archer quickly considered his options then came to a halt. Crossing his arms over his chest, he said, "Maybe it's time you leveled with me, sir. Why are you really here? If I'm not mistaken, you usually stay pretty close to Mount Seleya."

Torok stopped and turned to face Archer. "As I told you yesterday, Commander Tucker asked me to speak with you." He placed both hands on the knob of his cane, apparently settling in for a lengthy chat.

"I know, but I don't buy that. This isn't just about doing a favor for Trip. There has to be something more to it."

"Did you learn nothing from our meeting yesterday?"

"Evidently not enough."

As Archer waited for a response, he kept his eyes locked on the High Priest. The old man's face gave nothing away, but suddenly the image of a majestic eagle popped into Archer's mind. Given Torok's thick, white hair and hooked nose, that wasn't surprising. But with the image came a mental nudge that while eagles were indeed noble creatures, they were also birds of prey with sharp talons and beaks designed to rip their victims to shreds. Archer quickly disabused himself of such a ridiculous idea. He knew this man posed no threat to him.

After taking a few moments to collect his thoughts, Torok replied, "If we, as a people, wish to survive, we will have to learn to adapt. Surak showed us the way once before, but over the years we have distanced ourselves from his teachings. As a result, we have become rigid and complacent. We no longer learn from our mistakes or from the mistakes of others. When help is offered, we refuse it as a matter of course. Why? Because we see ourselves as superior. Since it is unacceptable for our failings...our imperfections to be put on public display, we isolate ourselves in times of trouble. This cannot continue."

Archer took a deep breath as he carefully considered what he'd just heard. He appreciated Torok's straightforward approach, but deep down he was still a little wary. This was too good to be true. Vulcans never talked this openly to anyone about anything.

"That's very interesting, but it still doesn't explain why you're here." Archer pointed an index finger toward the deck plating. "What do you want from us...from me?"

"I am here to learn. If Vulcans are to move forward, we must gain a greater understanding of our allies as well as our enemies."

"You've had a hundred years to learn about Humans." Archer made no effort to keep the slightly bitter tone out of his voice. "Why the sudden interest now?"

"I believe your people have a saying: Better late than never. Is that correct?"

"Yes."

"Your point, though, is well taken, Captain. Over the years, my people have shown little interest in truly understanding Humans. Our attention was so focused on remediating your faults that we failed to fully recognize or appreciate your strengths as a species. That must end.

"Humans, to a large extent, will shape the future of this quadrant," Torok continued. "As an adviser to my people, I must learn all that I can. Before yesterday, Commander Tucker was the only Human I had met face-to-face. I must know if he is typical of your species."

"I see." A smile crept over Archer's face. This, at least, sounded plausible. "I appreciate your candor. You're welcome to study us to your heart's content, but I can tell you right now that Trip is far from typical. He's...well he's..."

"Special?"

"Yeah." The smile slowly became wistful then vanished completely. "Special."

"From what I have observed so far, I tend to agree with you." Torok raised one hand, palm forward. "That, of course, is in no way a reflection on you or your crew."

"Understood." Archer gestured toward the turbolift and the two men started forward again. "If you're interested in learning more about Humans, our computer contains an extensive collection of movies and books."

"Movies?"

"Yes. You know...motion pictures, films."

"Ah, yes." Torok nodded. "I have never seen a movie, but I do know that Commander Tucker finds them instructive."

That comment brought a smile, once again, to Archer's lips. "The Trip Tucker I know doesn't usually watch a movie for its educational value."

"Do not be misled, Captain. Illumination can come cloaked in many guises."

"You may be right." When they reached the turbolift, Archer hesitated. He'd been looking for someone or something to keep Torok occupied. This might do nicely. "If you're interested, I can arrange for you to watch a few of our movies."

"That would be acceptable."

Silently congratulating himself, Archer motioned to the right. "Why don't we go to your cabin?" He started down the corridor and Torok followed.

"Are there any specific aspects of human behavior you'd like to explore? I would be happy to make some recommendations."

Torok thought for a moment. "Specific aspects, no, but several names come to mind. Are you familiar with John Ford and...Groucho Marx?"

"Yes."

"And Frankenstein. I believe I would like to see Frankenstein. Commander Tucker seems to think highly of it."

Archer's smile grew wider. The mind meld Trip had shared with Torok obviously made a lasting impression on both men. Needless to say, if the High Priest was being guided by Trip's cultural likes and dislikes, this whole experience could be a real eye-opener for the Vulcan. Torok could probably handle a western without too much trouble. But the Marx Brothers... It might be worth hanging around just to see Torok's reaction.

"John Ford's film Stagecoach might be a good place to start. It's a western." When Torok raised an eyebrow questioningly, Archer explained: "The story takes place in the western part of the United States of American in the latter part of our 19th century, hence the term. They're often fairly basic stories. Good guys versus bad guys."

"I see. And do you have Frankenstein?"

"Yes. It's a much more complex story. I'll be interested to hear your reaction to the film. When T'Pol watched it for the first time, her review practically left Trip speechless. That doesn't happen very often."

"And this Groucho person?"

"He was a comedian. He made movies with his brothers Harpo, Chico and Zeppo." Archer cleared his throat. Explaining the Marx Brothers to a Vulcan wasn't easy. "They were...um...well, they got themselves into a lot of unusual situations."

"Are their actions typical of Human behavior?"

"Absolutely not." This was one point Archer knew he had to make perfectly clear. "Comedians are interested in making people laugh, so the characters often say and do things that would generally not be considered acceptable conduct."

"You are speaking of humor."

"Yes."

"Is it necessary for one to become familiar with humor in order to gain a better understanding of Humans?"

"I'd say so. It plays an important role in our mental and physical wellbeing. A Night at the Opera should give you some idea of the type of things that make Humans laugh.

"And if I might offer a personal suggestion," Jon continued, "why don't you try Spartacus? It's a story about a slave revolt during the time of the Roman Empire. It might help you gain a better understanding of the Human spirit: our determination to right injustices, to overcome even the most challenging obstacles, and to fight on when common sense tells us that all hope is lost."

"Is that what drives you, Captain? This Human spirit?"

Archer shrugged. "It's as good an explanation as any, I guess."

Stopping in front of Trip's former quarters, Archer entered his override code and the door slid open. Slowly he walked into the room and took a look around. This was the first time he'd been in Trip's cabin since his friend was reassigned to Vulcan. For some reason it came as a bit of a shock that everything was gone - all of Trip's personal effects. Hess had been given the option of moving in when Trip left, but she'd declined. Evidently she, too, was hoping he'd return.

Archer motioned toward the desk chair. "Have a seat. I just want to check in with the bridge and let them know where I am."

After delivering the message, Archer turned back to his guest. Torok was seated in the chair, waiting for him.

"When we were in the Expanse," Jon said, "we couldn't always find the time for Movie Night so Trip put together a selection of movies for the crew to watch in their quarters." He leaned over and, after turning on the monitor, began to access the necessary files.

Of course, it had never occurred to Jon to watch a movie while Earth was in danger; he had to stay focused on the task before him. But since their return from the Expanse, he'd viewed many of the films, but always alone in his cabin, with only Porthos for company. More and more, it seemed that loneliness was the price he had to pay for living his dream.

"Do you find it distressing to be here?" Torok asked.

Archer looked back over his shoulder at the High Priest. "You mean in this cabin?"

"Yes."

"Why would I be distressed? It's just a cabin like any other on this ship."

"I understood this was Commander Tucker's quarters."

"That's right."

"Then you do not miss him."

"Of course I miss Trip. He's been like a brother to me."

"And yet you're angry with him. Why?"

Archer straightened up and stuck his hands on his hips. "I suppose Trip told you about our session in the interrogation room," he replied. "I had every right to be angry."

"Because you think he's a traitor?"

"No."

"Then you think he is innocent?"

"There isn't a dishonest bone in Trip's body. Of course I think he's innocent."

"Then why were you angry? Was it because you thought his actions reflected negatively on you?"

"That isn't it. I..." In frustration, Jon turned on his heel and walked across the cabin to the viewport. He knew damn well why he was mad at Trip: his best friend had no trouble confiding in a couple of Vulcans, but he couldn't manage to come clean with him. After yesterday's meeting at V'Las' mountain compound, he had a better idea of what had been going on in Trip's head, but he still couldn't get past the fact that Trip had lied to him and withheld critical information. Someday soon he'd clear the air with Trip. Until that time, though, his innermost thoughts were nobody's business but his own.

For a few moments, Archer focused his attention on the passing stars. Finally, he offered an explanation. "I'm disappointed in Trip because his actions could lead to the destruction of the Coalition. He's always been impulsive. Sometimes he just doesn't think things through."

"And yet he was trying to protect everything you have been fighting for."

"He got some bad advice."

"From Vulcans?"

"Don't put words in my mouth. I have nothing against Vulcans."

"Are you sure? I was under the impression that you blamed us for your father's professional difficulties."

"Trip has a big mouth."

"I did not learn of that from Commander Tucker. I read your dossier."

Archer whirled around and stared at the High Priest.

"Your anti-Vulcan sentiments are well-documented."

Gritting his teeth, Archer struggled to keep his chagrin from showing. "That might have been true when Enterprise launched, but not anymore. Over the years, I've learned to respect your people."

"I am gratified to hear that."

Folding his arms across his chest, Archer took a moment to study the High Priest. So far this conversation had been pretty one-sided. Maybe this was as good a time as any to get things out in the open.

"Since you brought it up, I'm not too happy with the Vulcans right now, but it has nothing to do with any prejudice on my part. Your people were the direct cause of many of the problems we're struggling with right now." Archer's voice began to rise. "If it wasn't for the myopic policies of Admiral Kiran and the High Council, the Andorians probably wouldn't have signed that non-aggression pact with the Romulans, the Coalition would still be intact, and I wouldn't be stuck trying to prevent another war."

"Everything you say is true," Torok replied. "The High Council has made some poor choices, but we are making an effort to change. You must try to be patient with us."

"The Romulans aren't going to wait around for Kiran and his cronies to see the light. The High Council has already thrown Trip to the wolves. Who's next? Earth? The Coalition?"

"Are you in favor of severing ties with Vulcan?"

"I believe in safety in numbers; that's why I worked so hard to build the Coalition. But we have to be able to trust our allies. As things stand now, we can't trust the Vulcans. Your people are too damn stubborn to look beyond their own narrow self-interest. I've lost crewmen in battle; I've had to write letters of condolence to too many parents. I don't want to go through that again. If I'm forced to choose between supporting Vulcan and protecting Earth, it's no contest: Earth will always come first."

When Torok didn't respond, Archer took a deep breath, trying to quell the anger that was bubbling up from deep inside him. This should have been a cathartic experience. He'd finally been given the chance to tell a Vulcan exactly what he thought of mess they'd made of things, but what had he gained? Nothing. He was probably just wasting his breath.

Without further delay, he headed for the monitor, brought up the movie, and jabbed a finger at the center of the monitor. "When you're ready to begin watching, just tap the box that says, 'Run film.'" His finger moved to the right. "You can adjust the volume here. I'll send a crewman to check on you in an hour or so. He can access any additional movies or books you'd like to see. He can also get you something to eat or drink, if you're interested."

Torok studied the monitor then looked up at Archer. "I appreciate the fact that you took the time to assist me, Captain. You are a busy man. You would have to be, given that the future of your people rests squarely on your shoulders."

Archer wrinkled his brow in confusion then took a step back. "I'm not sure I understand you," he said hesitantly. "That may have been true when we were in the Expanse, but not anymore."

"Then you did not believe Daniels when he said that you are crucial to the future of mankind?"

"Daniels! How the hell do you know about...?"

Archer scrubbed a hand over his face. Trip...of course...it had to be Trip. That's the only way Torok could have found out about Daniels. Jon knew he'd never mentioned that "crucial to the future of mankind" crap to T'Pol, but he had let it slip one time: the night after they'd returned Dr. Soong to prison. He and Trip had both still been on edge after their struggle with the Augments, so they'd decided to split a bottle of bourbon. The booze had helped them relax - a little too much evidently. Why hadn't he kept his big mouth shut?

Taking a deep breath, Jon squared his shoulders and said, "I want to explain about Daniels, then I have to get to the bridge."

"By all means."

"When Daniels appeared, he wanted my help...with the timeline." He hesitated. "I assume you know about the Temporal Cold War."

Torok nodded.

"Anyway, I never felt I could trust Daniels completely. He only told me those things - I was crucial to the future of mankind...I would help found some sort of federation - so he could manipulate me. I didn't believe him then. I don't believe him now."

"But your behavior indicates that you do, in fact, believe him."

"That's not true."

"You may not see it, Captain, but others do."

"Why? Because I've been a little tense lately?" Archer pivoted on one foot and began to pace. He didn't like where this conversation was headed. "I'd be crazy if I wasn't tense. You know what's going on. You know that the Coalition is our only hope to keep the Romulans in check. This latest move by the Andorians could bring everything crashing down around our ears. Everyone in Starfleet is feeling the stress."

"But you more than most."

"That's bullshit." Jon knew he was being disrespectful, but it was time he set this man straight. There was nothing wrong with him that a good, stiff drink and a long vacation on Risa couldn't cure. "I'm no more concerned than anybody else."

"I wouldn't be stuck trying to prevent another war...I worked hard to build the Coalition - those don't sound like the words of a man who feels that he bears no responsibility for the future of his people."

"You're reading too much into what I said. I'm just a Starfleet officer in command of one ship - not a squadron, not a fleet. There are a lot of other people who are far more important to the future of Earth than I am."

Torok raised one eyebrow. "Do you deny that you have already begun to exhibit some of the same negative behavioral patterns that you displayed in the Expanse?"

"I don't know what you mean," Archer replied as he began clenching and unclenching his right fist.

"Of course you do."

"I had to save Earth. I did whatever was necessary to get the job done."

"And now, with the Coalition in peril, you have once again started to isolate yourself from your crew. That is true, isn't it?"

A scowl was Archer's only response.

"You allow problems to totally consume you."

"I take my job seriously. There's nothing wrong with that."

"You lash out at people because you no longer have control of your temper."

"That's your opinion."

"Stress is endangering your health and your relationships with other people."

"If this is about Trip again, you're barking up the wrong tree. The only thing that's endangered our relationship is his deceit!"

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, Jon wished he could take them back. The High Priest would undoubtedly use that little outburst to prove his point. And besides, he knew he wasn't being fair. Trip had been placed in a next to impossible position.

Torok sat back and pursed his lips. Archer's last comment had apparently not gone down well. "Can you accept the fact that the burden of shaping the future does not fall on your shoulders alone?"

"Of course I can."

"Then why do you treat each diplomatic setback as a personal failure?"

"I don't."

"I think you do."

"How the hell would you know? You don't know me. We never set eyes on each other before yesterday morning."

"If you do not believe me, ask some of the people who know you best."

"I don't care what other people think. I ought to know how I..." One look at Torok's face and the words died on Archer's lips. Suddenly he realized that he wasn't fooling anybody but himself. Squeezing his eyes shut, he shook his head. That bastard Daniels had really done a number on him. Crucial to the future of mankind. Was he really so far gone that he thought of himself as some sort of superman? Did he really believe that he was the only man who could hold the Coalition together?

Unfortunately Torok wasn't finished.

"Perhaps your concern is not only for yourself. Do you think that failure on your part will reflect on the memory of your father?"

"My father?" That caught Jon off balance.

"Jonathan Archer, son of Henry Archer - I believe that is the way you are often identified. Some people might think that your actions, if you fail, could have a negative impact on your father's legacy."

A picture of Henry Archer formed in Jon's mind and once again he felt his father's loss. When he was a boy, his world had revolved around that one special man - the builder of the first Warp 5 engine - and then one day the connection between them had been severed. The pain, now mercifully dulled by the passage of time, was still with him every day.

Yes, he was his father's son. Yes, he'd spent most of his life trying to live up to his father's memory and advance his dream. But once he'd made the decision to take Enterprise into the Expanse, he stepped out of his father's shadow. He really hadn't given it much thought until now, but suddenly he knew, without question, that it was true.

"I'm my own man," Archer said quietly. "Any failures on my part will reflect on me and only on me. My father's legacy can stand on its own merits."

"Good." Torok bobbed his head once for emphasis. "I was hoping that would be your response."

"Look, I appreciate what you're trying to do," Archer said as he started toward the door, "but the timing is all wrong. I have to focus on the crisis with the Andorians. My problems will just have to wait."

"That is very shortsighted. If you do not take the time to deal with the added stress you are placing on yourself, you may not live long enough to save your Coalition."

"I'm not afraid to die."

"I expected more of you, Captain. Only a fool needlessly throws his life away."

"I'm not a fool." Archer briefly entertained the idea of walking out the door, but feeling the need to defend himself, he turned instead and headed back toward the viewport. "I'm a man just like anyone else - a man with a job to do."

"Nonsense." Torok began to tap the tip of one finger on the desktop seemingly to emphasize his points. "You are not a man like anyone else. You are a man in a position of authority - the captain of a starship. That is something few men can ever hope to achieve. But that does not give you god-like status, nor does it place the burden of the future squarely on your shoulders. You would do well to set aside the time necessary to gain a better understanding of both your strengths and your limitations."

"But there is no time." Archer rubbed the fingers of both hands against his forehead as he struggled to find a way to make Torok understand the urgency of the situation.

"Then you must reevaluate your priorities. If you are to play an important role in eliminating the Romulan threat, you must first successfully resolve the war you are waging with yourself."

"But you said..."

"I said that the burden does not fall on you alone." Torok motioned toward the bed. "Now please sit down. There is something I must tell you, and I find your constant pacing distracting."

Archer shook his head. "Maybe later. I..."

"It must be now. Once we reach Andoria there may be other matters to divert you." When Archer, despite the High Priest's plea, started for the door, Torok continued: "I was not completely honest with you earlier. There is another reason for my visit."

I knew it, Archer thought, feeling a momentary sense of triumph. I knew he was holding out on me.

"Go on," he said aloud.

"You accused Commander Tucker of being deceitful," Torok said. "That is a fair assessment, but surely you must know that he would never have willingly kept things from you." When Archer opened his mouth to comment, the High Priest waved him off. "We could debate endlessly whether or not the High Council had the right to ask him to keep certain information a secret, but that would accomplish nothing. The damage has already been done. Now we must find a way to remedy the situation. You see, I believe that you and Commander Tucker will both play vital roles in our efforts to thwart the Romulans' plans. But you must be able to work together. I am here to help the two of you settle your differences so you can learn to trust one another again."

"That won't be easy," Archer said quietly. "Trust is not something that can be given; it has to be earned."

"I quite agree, Captain. You may be surprised to learn, however, that Commander Tucker feels that there has also been a breach of faith on your part."

Archer stiffened. He started to defend himself, to say that he'd never given Trip any reason to doubt him, but then he thought better of it. How could he deny the part he'd played in that ugly scene in the interrogation room? He'd turned his back on Trip and walked away just when his friend needed him the most. At the time, he'd felt justified in his actions, but now - remembering the look of utter hopelessness on Trip's face - he knew he should have handled things differently.

Torok pointed again at the bed. "Sit down. I have more to tell you, and as you so aptly pointed out, time is growing short."

Archer hesitated for a moment then, turning on his heel, walked over to the bed and took a seat. He had serious doubts about this whole business, but he knew he'd be a fool not to listen to what the High Priest had to say.

"You said earlier that Commander Tucker was like a member of your family. Is that correct?"

"Yes."

Archer gripped the edge of the bed and, straightening his arms, leaned forward. Great, he thought, we're back to Twenty Questions.

"Do you want to continue that friendship?"

"Of course, I do."

"Then you must be willing to accept things as they are now, not as they once were. Can you do that?"

"I'm...not sure I understand what you mean." Archer's brow furrowed as he tried to figure out where this conversation was headed. "If you're asking whether I can accept change, the answer is yes."

"Good. Since secrecy has been instrumental in causing the rift between you and Commander Tucker, I have decided to tell you what he could not."

"I'm listening." Clenching his jaw, Archer steeled himself. He had a feeling he wasn't going to like this.

"During one of Commander Tucker's visits to Mount Seleya, he and T'Pol became a fully bonded couple."

Archer took a moment to let that sink in. A wisp of a memory flitted through the deep recesses of his mind and just as quickly disappeared. With a slight shake of the head, he said, "Let me get this straight. You're telling me...they're married?"

"Yes. I performed the ceremony myself."

"I knew they were spending a lot of time together, but it never occurred to me that they...." Suddenly Archer brought a fist down hard on the bed. "Why didn't they tell me? I always thought the two of them would come to me with something this important. Even if they no longer considered me a friend, as the captain of Enterprise, I should have been informed."

"They wanted to tell you, but they couldn't. They gave their word to tell no one, not even their colleagues or families."

"Gave their word to whom?" Archer snapped.

"Do not blame the commanders," the High Priest said. "This decision was forced on them by Admiral Kiran and Minister T'Lan. The admiral suspected that T'Pol and Mr. Tucker were involved with one another and threatened to cancel the joint maneuvers if they did not comply."

"I should have known," Archer snapped. "If there's trouble, that bastard Kiran's bound to be involved."

"Calm yourself, Captain. Kiran's demand may have been callous, but it was also rooted in a firm understanding of our people. A liaison between a Vulcan and a Human would be considered by many to be unacceptable. Even the intimation of such a relationship would have been enough to end the joint maneuvers before they even reached the planning stage."

"And when the maneuvers were over? They could have told me then."

"They were still bound by their word. Commander Tucker could, of course, have disclosed their marriage to you, but if word got back to Kiran and T'Lan, it would only have confirmed their low opinion of Humans. Any chance of influencing Kiran in the future would have been lost. Given the current political climate, that was too high a price to pay."

"Who made that decision? T'Pau? You?"

"The decision was made jointly by Commanders Tucker and T'Pol. They had the foresight to realize that any announcement of their union would probably have been met by an equally negative reaction on Earth. Our worlds are simply not ready to accept an interspecies couple."

Bristling, Archer replied, "I think the commanders need to have a little more faith in the discretion of their friends."

As much as Jon wanted to hold onto his anger, he couldn't do it. There was more than a little truth in Torok's statement. If word got out that Trip and T'Pol were married, the members of Terra Prime and the Peace Forever Movement would do everything in their power to make the commanders' lives a living hell. Jon knew, without question, that he would do everything in his power to see that that didn't happen.

Archer ran a hand over his brow; he could feel a headache coming on. Surak's katra had been transferred months ago, but every once in a while, when he least expected it, there was a subtle nudge and seemingly innocuous people, places or things suddenly took on new importance. As the days passed, however, the nudges were becoming less frequent and the messages more difficult to decipher. Fortunately, this time Surak's tip was pretty straightforward.

"You said they're bonded. Is that...possible? Can a Human bond with a Vulcan?"

"You know about Vulcan bonds?"

In answer to the question, Jon managed to nod gingerly. He'd just as soon forego trying to explain Surak's dwindling impact on his mind to a Vulcan priest.

"I discovered during the wedding ceremony that the commanders' mate bond is surprisingly strong," Torok said. "They can sense each other's feelings and emotions. Under certain conditions they can share each other's thoughts. In short, their bond is no different than one which is shared by a Vulcan couple."

"I see."

Jon was happy his friends had been able to find a little joy when everything around them seemed to be going to hell, but he didn't need second sight to realize that this bond could prove to be disastrous for both of them. Trip would never be able to convince people back on Earth that he hadn't been brainwashed by the Vulcans. And T'Pol would be vilified, once again, as some sort of Mata Hari, ready to do whatever was necessary to exert control over weak-willed Humans.

As for Terra Prime, those vicious opportunists would claim that the bond provided indisputable proof that aliens only wanted to dominate and enslave Humans. And a lot of people would believe them. Even if Trip and T'Pol were cleared of the charges pending against them, public opinion would probably force them out of Starfleet just when they were needed the most.

Taking a deep breath, Archer scrubbed both hands over his face. Until now, he hadn't fully appreciated just how heavy a load Trip had been carrying. The weight of not one, but two worlds had been pressing squarely down on his friend's shoulders. And that didn't even begin to take into consideration the added tonnage of the floundering Coalition.

"You realize, of course, that this could drive a permanent wedge between Vulcan and Earth," Torok said quietly.

"Yeah."

"And bring an end to the Coalition."

Archer nodded wearily as he heard Torok echo his thoughts.

"If this bond becomes public knowledge," Jon said, "every xenophobic group on Earth will be howling for Vulcan blood. We've got elections coming up. This would probably be just what the isolationists need to swing enough votes to put their candidates in office. Then we've really got trouble."

"I agree with your assessment of the situation."

Levering himself to his feet, Archer slowly started for the door. "This is one hell of a mess. Look, I'll see Trip as soon as we get back. Try to patch things up between us."

"That is very wise."

"Then we have to find a way to clear his name and get him out of the brig. I need Trip and T'Pol here on Enterprise."

Torok took a moment to adjust the sleeve of his russet robe. "That...may not be possible."

Jon was only inches from the door, but Torok's comment brought him up short. "Why not?"

"Minister Vaaris has been favorably impressed with T'Pol's analytical abilities. He has asked her to return to the Ministry of Security."

"You can't be serious. T'Pol would never leave Starfleet. Not willingly."

"T'Pol will do whatever is necessary to assist her mate. If she believes that her presence in the Ministry will help uncover the information which will free Commander Tucker, she will not hesitate to resign from your Starfleet."

Archer lifted his chin defiantly. "Then we better get a move on and find the evidence that will clear Trip because I have no intention of losing the best engineer and first officer in the fleet. Not with the Romulans breathing down our necks."

"Your goal is admirable, Captain. I wish you well."

Archer wasn't sure which annoyed him more: the Vulcans' attempt to entice his friends away from Starfleet or his own failure to keep Trip and T'Pol on Enterprise in the first place.

"There is one thing I can do in the meantime," Jon said firmly. "Trip's parents have a right to know they have a daughter-in-law."

"I am sure Commander Tucker would appreciate that."

Torok reached over and touched the monitor. As the opening credits for Frankenstein appeared on the screen, he added: "Take some time to consider what we have discussed. If you wish to continue our conversation, I am at your disposal."

"I'll keep that in mind. Enjoy the movie."

"Vulcans seek enlightenment, Captain, not enjoyment."

That brought a smile to Archer's lips. At least he could draw a little comfort from knowing that some things never changed. "Dinner is at 1800. I'll tell my steward to set a place for you."

"Plomeek broth is all I require." Without further comment, the High Priest turned his attention to the images playing across the monitor.

"I'll see what I can do."

Archer tapped the release button and the door slid open. As he walked towards the turbolift, he decided to check on the status of the Andorian situation as soon as he reached the bridge. If there were no new developments, he'd have his lunch sent to his ready room. He had some thinking to do.

 

 


 

"Sorry to get you up so early, Jon."

While Archer finished tying the belt of his robe, he took a moment to study the face in his monitor. Erika Hernandez was still beautiful - she'd be beautiful till the day she died - but the strain was clearly beginning to show, especially around the eyes.

"Don't worry," he said. "I was already awake. I'm generally up before 0600 these days. How are things going? Has everyone boarded?"

"A few stragglers are still coming in. With all the restrictions, it's been a slow, tedious process. Every person has to be checked in by the Andorians before they're allowed to board. All baggage is being thoroughly searched. I'm getting a steady stream of complaints about personal items that have been confiscated, but my hands are tied."

"The Andorians aren't Boys Scouts by a long shot, but I'm surprised they're being so openly antagonistic. It almost sounds like they're trying to provoke you."

Erika nodded in agreement. "My thoughts exactly. For what it's worth, Humans aren't the only ones to be singled out. The Coridans have received the same treatment. They didn't have a ship in the area so we're transporting the ambassador and his staff."

"It sounds like you have a full house."

"Standing room only. But we may have bigger problems."

Jon leaned forward, resting his forearms on the desk in front of him. "What's wrong?"

"About a week ago, we began to see a marked increase in ship activity. The Imperial Guard insisted that it was only business as usual, but for all intents and purposes, they've thrown a blockade around the planet."

"That's not too surprising given the circumstances."

"To be on the safe side my crew has been charting the comings and goings, including a regular series of long-range scans. Three hours ago we noticed that six ships, all with Andorian power signatures, were on course to rendezvous with each other. Since then, three more ships have joined them. If our scans are right, we're dealing with at least two battle cruisers and three warships."

"And the other four vessels?"

"They appear to be smaller...slower."

"Support ships?"

"Possibly."

Porthos walked over and nuzzled Jon's leg, but the fact barely registered. Reaching down, he distractedly scratched the beagle's ears while his mind processed this information.

"There's more," Erika said. "Fifteen minutes ago, three warships from the blockade broke orbit; they're presently on an intercept course. If they join up with the other ships...."

"That makes an even dozen. What's their course?"

"They're headed straight for you...and Vulcan."

 

To be continued...


Back to Chapter 8
Continue to Chapter 10

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.