Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Blue Tears"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Pairings: Hayes/Sato, Shran/Jhamel
Notes: There isn’t a lot of “official” information about Andorian culture and traditions, but I used the following sites to help build this AU version of Shran’s world:

1) Memory Alpha

2) the “Rogues Gallery of Andorians”

and 3) the “Andorian Confederation”

There’s also disagreement as to Andoria’s location. Some put it in the Epsilon Indii system (TOS), others put it in the Procyon system (ENT). I chose the Procyon system because that puts it closer to Vulcan and Tellar.

Also, the concept of needing four people for an Andorian mating group, was mentioned in the novel “The Good that Men Do” and confirmed by Data in TNG “Data’s Day” in a discussion about marriage customs.

Gareb was the Aenar pilot of the Romulan drone in ENT “The Aenar” and of course, Talas is Shran’s sister in this AU. The other Andorians in this chapter are my own creations.

Please leave a review! Thanks!

Thanks again for the superb edit, Pesterfield. :)


Two

“Captain, we’re approaching Procyon Seven,” J.T. Daniels said over the comm. “We’ll be in orbit around Andoria in three hours.”

Hayes reached over and touched the receive button on his desk. “Thank you, Commander. I’ll be on the Bridge in a moment.”

“Yes, sir. Daniels, out.”

Hayes sighed and pulled out the Andorian chest from the top shelf of his closet. The silver-blue lid was wrought with fine carving and edged with a white, milky-looking substance. He passed a hand over it and deactivated the mag-lock. Nestled inside the chest was a small knife, safe within a leather sheath. Hayes took it out, threaded it on a matching leather belt and buckled it around his waist. It looked odd against his normal Starfleet jumpsuit.

Then he lifted out a jeweled pin in the shape of Andoria’s primary gas giant, its rings of pure diamond. Hayes pinned it on the right side of his uniform, directly under his captain’s pips. Finally, he brought out the most important piece of jewelry: an amethyst-colored brooch, mounted within an elegantly-wrought silver backing and decorated with two twisted locks of white hair.

Sha’rlar Mat-two,” called a high-pitched voice in his mind. “I have a gift for you. Do you not like it? I made it myself.” In his mind’s eye, little Talla swung herself into his lap, her dark blue jumpsuit a close twin to Hayes’s own. She pressed the brooch into his hand.

“Thank you, Talla,” he’d replied. The first thing he’d noticed was how the amethyst caught the overhead lights, the second was the intricate braid of hair. “It’s beautiful.”

“I made it with my own hair and Mama’s, see?” She pointed out the braid. “Our clan gives this to people we like. It was Mama and Papa’s idea.”

Matt looked up at Jhamel, who occupied a chair in the corner. Jhamel always held herself proudly, but not aloof. Her long, white-silver hair spilled over her shoulders and onto her lap. Although she “looked” at Matt, she really didn’t “see” him; like many Aenar, she was blind, but she wore a sensor net under her clothing. It was difficult to remember she couldnt really see him.

“Welcome to our family, Matthew,” Jhamel had said simply. “Thy’lek has talked to the other members of our sheltreth bondmates and they agreed to adopt you into our clan as an honorary member. Unlike some of our fellows—“ and here, her smile became ironic, “—we believe warriors come in many forms, even among pinkskins.” Her voice made the regular insult into a nickname.

He bowed his head. “Thank you, Lady Jhamel.”

“No need to call me ‘Lady’. You may call me, Kirh’lara, ‘sister’.”

Matt turned his attention back to a grinning Talla. “So, what’s sha’rlar? Uncle?”

“Favorite uncle,” the little girl replied, “‘first among the male parent’s brothers’.”

He’d cocked an eyebrow at her and it made her giggle. Jhamel chuckled softly and admonished her daughter, “Talla. He is so much older than you, plus he is bonded.” The remark caught his attention and he looked up at her, but Jhamel only gave him a mysterious smile. “You are, whether you are aware of it or not.”

In the present, Matt’s smile was bittersweet. Jhamel hadn’t met Hoshi at the time, but somehow she’d known. He sighed and ran a finger over the brooch. We’ll find you both. I promise, he thought. Another idea formed in his mind, but he set it aside for now. After this was done, he’d talk to Hoshi about it.

He pinned the brooch over his left uniform pocket, over his heart. Then he put the chest away in the closet and headed for the Bridge. If any of Columbia’s crew thought anything of the extra Andorian additions to his uniform, they maintained a respectful silence.


The Away team beamed onto the icy surface of Andoria. A bitterly cold gale whipped past Hayes’s face and he felt its fury, despite the protective mask. Major Nate Kemper checked his scanner and remarked, “Eighteen below.”

“And it’s in the middle of their summer,” Hayes added dryly. “This is nothing compared to the dead of winter.” Kemper muttered something under his breath, something about exploding snowdrifts, but Hayes ignored him. “And there’s our contact.”

A pale-skinned Andorian strode toward them, his boots crunching into the snow. His mouth stretched into a facsimile of a smile, but he crossed his arm on his chest in salute. “Tirh’lar Hayes.”

Hayes copied the salute. “Gareb. It’s good to see you again.”

Jhamel’s brother gave him a sharp nod. “Come. The others await you.”

They entered a tunnel and slowly made the long trek into the underground caverns. Andorian cities were built deep under the icy surface, taking advantage of the geothermal springs. Despite the fact they were out of direct contact of the winter winds, it was still cold. Hayes glanced sideways at J.T. Daniels, who didn’t seem affected by the environment, and Rosie Arroyo, whose usual dusky complexion was pale. Kemper concentrated on his scanner.

“They say that my sister and niece are still alive, but who knows for how long.”

Hayes nodded; Gareb was telepathic, and if anyone knew if Jhamel was still alive, he would. “Do you have a sense of where they might have been taken?”

“They are still on Andoria, somewhere,” Gareb replied, but he sounded distracted. “Other than that, I cannot say. There is a barrier in the way. All I hear are echoes and it is hard to filter out the background noise.”

“An artificial barrier?” asked Rosie. “Like a mental block?”

Gareb shook his head. “No, not artificial. Whoever has them has skill in empathy or telepathy.”

“Other Aenar?” That question came from Daniels.

“Perhaps, though we are pacifists, for the most part. To harm another of our own kind is...morally reprehensible,” Gareb replied, with a twist of his lips. “Of course, who knows, in these turbulent times?”

Hayes and Daniels exchanged grim looks. Hayes saw the flash of concern on his First Officer’s face. If Gareb was pessimistic, it didn’t bode well for the rest of the Andorian High Council. There had to be something else going on behind the scenes. Hayes had a bad feeling about this and he knew Daniels shared it.

The long, sloping stairway expanded into a hallway, which became a large cavern. An elaborately carved gate marked the entrance to Tualan, Andoria’s capital city. Buildings were nestled into the cave walls and the artificial lights reflected off the walkways. The inhabitants seemed to go about their business as usual, but Hayes felt a definite tension in the air.

“We all know,” Gareb confirmed. “Do not underestimate the efficiency of the clan network.”

“The only thing that’s faster than warp speed is gossip,” muttered Kemper, “especially on a starship or among family.”

The faintest glimmer of a genuine smile played on Gareb’s lips. “You understand, Major.”

“Remind me to introduce you to my family sometime. The Kempers would put Captain Sato’s family to shame,” Kemper responded in a light tone.

They crossed the main walkway and through another maze of corridors. Hayes gazed, fascinated, at the sheer expanse of Tualan. It stretched across the floor of the huge underground cavern as far as the eye could see, then snaked along the cavern walls, with bridges and steps cut into the icy rock. Shran had told him that although Tualan had a population of about three and a half million people, it certainly didn’t feel that crowded. The far end of the city was connected by another series of tunnels to other cities, towns and villages under the surface. For such an emotional people, Hayes found Andorians practical when it counted.

“My sister and her sheltreth live in the southern part of Tualan, close to the Terran Consulate,” Gareb was saying. “Talla goes to school with other Consulate children. Needless to say, she is just like her mother: curious about other species, eager to explore the world. Yet, she also has her father’s intelligence and skill. A delightful child.” Gareb shook his head in dismay as they came up to the entrance to the Council Chamber. “Please, Captain, they are waiting.”

Hayes didn’t know what to expect. As he entered the Council chamber, he spotted the other members of Shran’s and Jhamel’s sheltreth, their bond-family: Mehshri, and Raavan. Shran and Jhamel should have completed the group of four, and their absence was a jarring chord. Next to them was Lieutenant Talas, Shran’s sister. Talas’s face was as emotionless as a Vulcan’s, until Hayes saw the smothered anguish in her eyes.

Then Hayes realized that every seat of the Council Chamber was filled, all 65 seats, and every representative eyed the Away Team with a combination of awe, envy and downright hostility. Deliberately, he lowered the hood of his insulated parka and met the stares evenly.

“I am Captain Jeremiah Matthew Hayes, Tirh’lar to Captain Hravishran th’Zoarthi and Thirijhamel zh’Dhaven,” he announced in a bold voice. “If there is any who object to my presence here among you, speak now.”

The silence stretched for heartbeats, then a lone Andorian got to his feet. “The High Council recognizes your presence, Captain Hayes, and those of your crew. It is a pity that we meet again in these circumstances, but Andoria recalls its kin in its time of need.”

“Thank you, Chancellor Zhahalan zh’Igaroshem,” Hayes said formally, ignoring the stir within the Council at Halan’s mention of “kin”. “Rest assured, you will have my full cooperation and assistance in finding Lady Jhamel and her daughter.”

Halan’s blue eyes crinkled in humor. The Chancellor was close to a hundred and twenty Andorian years old, making him the eldest in the chamber, but age hadn’t dimmed his faculties one bit. “Walk with me, Captain, and join the rest of the family in private session. In the meantime, General Thanos of the Imperial Intelligence Corps—“ Halan nodded at the tall Andorian next to him, “—shall familiarize your Security and Science officers on the particulars of the incident.”

Hayes heard the Chancellor’s voice crack slightly at the words ‘the incident’. There was another angry stir through the Council, and Hayes knew that the upswell of emotion was kept in check, but barely. Jhamel was beloved among her people, both Aenar and Andorian, and only their strict code of honor kept the Council from lashing out at anyone whom they suspected. At this point, everyone was a suspect.

“Very well, Chancellor.” Hayes lowered his voice. “Nate, J.T., Rosie, go with General Thanos. He’s one of Halan’s best men.”

“What about you, Matt?” whispered Rosie. “You’ll be alone.”

“Family councils are restricted to members only. Sorry, Rosie. I have to go to this one alone. We can’t afford to rile them up, especially now.”

“Understandable, sir,” Daniels replied. “I believe the situation is volatile enough as it is.”

That was obvious, but Matt resisted the urge to point it out. Daniels had a knack for stating whatever was plain for anyone to see. Halan waved Matt to his side, while Thanos approached the others. Together, the duo left the Council chambers, with Talas flanking them on Matt’s side and Gareb at Halan’s, with Mehshri and Raavan close behind.

“Sisters,” Matt acknowledged Talas and Mehshri in a low voice, then with a nod at Raavan and Gareb, “Brothers.”

“I am glad of your presence, Tirh’lar,” Mehshri whispered back. “The Council wanted to keep this ‘an Andorian matter’, but I didn’t see them trying very hard to help.”

“Sister,” Talas warned in a low growl.

“It is true, Talas,” Raavan growled back. “For a governing body who is normally efficient, the Council has been dragging its heels in their investigation. Thus, Thanos’s intervention and the request to Starfleet.”

Talas sighed in exasperation, but Matt noticed she didn’t raise any further objections. She focused her violet eyes on him and said, “My brother is expected to arrive this evening. Of course, he is the most upset of all of us and I don’t blame him. Captain, I hope you will be able to help us with this deadlock. I share my family’s frustration in this matter.”

Matt noticed that Talas had called him by rank and not by Tirh’lar, “brother”. On the other hand, he’d never remembered Talas ever being so blunt about her feelings in his presence before. “So do I, Talas. We’ll find them.”

He felt a sudden chill down his spine, the feeling of “someone walking over his grave”. Matt shoved it aside and concentrated on the problem at hand. He couldn’t afford to screw this up; both Andoria and Earth needed him to solve this problem, and Shran needed his “brother” to be the strong one this time.


Back to Part 1
Continue to Part 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.