Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Blue Tears"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Pairings: Hayes/Sato, Shran/Jhamel
Notes: A longer but important chapter here. You get a glimpse into the politics within Shran and Talas’s Clan, and not everyone’s thrilled at having a Human Clan Brother. You also find out what the deal with the dispute at Trailax Colony, mentioned by Hoshi in “May the Wind be at Our Backs.”

Talas mentioned to Malcolm that her mother had a higher security clearance than she did in “United”. I expanded on her mother’s character here. BTW, you’ll see Shran in the next chapter. When a member of the Imperial Guard falls, their crewmates take a part of him or her back to Andoria to be interred in the “Wall of Heroes.”

And get ready for a bombshell that could destroy any hope of the Federation in this AU before it even gets started.

Please leave a review! Thanks!

Thanks, Pesterfield. :)


Three

Shran came from a military family, whose members proudly served in the Andorian Imperial Guard and the various branches of the armed forces. Most of them had accepted Matt, since the Hayes family had served in Earth’s defense since before the American Revolutionary War, but a small (and vocal) few objected to his presence.

“This is the Human who tried to destroy the Trailax Colony,” snarled Ylenth. The Clan Brother pointed an accusative finger toward Hayes. “He interfered with a legitimate mining operation. This coward is now one of our clan?”

Mehshri, Jhamel’s bond-sister leaned forward on her hands, even though her fingers twitched in an effort not to close around Ylenth’s throat. “This Human pointed out a safety concern that could have cost the lives of many workers, Ylenth. The Mining Consortium would have paid more in the long run, with blood instead of with credits.”

“He helped bankrupt a powerful clan, Mehshri! One who had extended every effort to help finance our new warships—“

Mehshri’s laugh was harsh. “So this is what it is all about, Ylenth. Not about our Clan Brother’s courage in pointing out what is right, but the downfall of your dear friend’s monopoly on the Mining Consortium! For shame, that you buy your honor with credits! Perhaps you should join the moneylenders and leave the military decisions to those experienced enough to make them!”

A new voice shouted, “Hvsshae! Enough!” Both Mehshri and Ylenth jumped in surprise. Then, a deep silence fell upon the clan members in the room.

Talas’ and Shran’s mother, Linha, stood at the head of the table, a proud matriarch. Linha reminded Hayes of his own mother, Colonel Amanda Hayes of the MACOs. Amanda Hayes didn’t tolerate bad behavior, either; Matt winced at the memory of her reprogramming the Hayes family’s security codes and preventing his sneaking back into the house one cold Colorado night.

Linha glared coldly at both younger clan members. “In the long view, Captain Hayes helped correct a grave injustice on Trailax that should not have been allowed to exist in the first place. And Ylenth, the Trailax Incident has no bearing on our current crisis. Captain Hayes is here to help us find our Clan Sister, as is his obligation. He could have refused, due to his Starfleet obligations, but he is here, of his own free will, as opposed to having been ordered.”

Ylenth swallowed hard at the pointed look on Linha’s face, for he’d been one of those summoned to attend this Clan Council. “Forgive me, Matriarch,” he whispered.

“It is not I who can forgive your grave insult,” snapped Linha. She jerked her head toward Hayes. “Ask your Clan Brother’s forgiveness. Not mine.”

Ylenth’s face flushed a deeper azure as he said in a grudging tone, “I spoke in haste, Captain. My apologies.”

Hayes noticed that Ylenth had called him by his Starfleet rank and not by “Clan Brother”. He sighed inwardly, for he’d known he’d made an enemy of Ylenth after Trailax, and Andorian memories—and grudges—were long-lasting and deep. “Accepted, Clan Brother.”

Linha nodded in satisfaction, even though an ominous rumble went through the other Clan Members. Hayes thought he saw a smile flit across Talas’s face, but then it vanished as quickly as it had appeared. Talas wasn’t exactly one of his biggest supporters, either, but he had more of her support and respect than most other Starfleet officers, especially Trip Tucker.

“Every Guard outpost has been alerted, and every Consulate under lockdown. We cannot afford to lose any other clan members,” Linha was saying, “The Vulcan, Tellarite and Terran governments have offered their assistance in the investigation, but our own Chancellor has stressed that this is primarily an Andorian matter.”

There was another rumble, this time of approval. “We are investigating every possibility, including inter-clan war and outworlder interference. There are many who envy our family’s power and influence—“ and Linha glared at Ylenth as she said the words, “—and our enemies might have taken Jhamel and Talla as hostages to intimidate or force us to their will.”

A sharp squeal interrupted her. Linha scowled at the speaker; everyone held their breath, but then tapped her comlink. “We are in Clan Session. Who dares to interrupt?”

“Forgive me, Matriarch,” came the voice of General Thonos. Hayes heard the tension in the security man’s voice. “We have received new information concerning who might be behind the kidnapping.”

Linha raised her eyebrows. “We?”

“Myself, Matriarch, and the ones from the Earth vessel.”

All eyes hit Hayes at the mention of Columbia, but he refused to be cowed by their steady stares. Linha inclined her head at Hayes and nodded once. “Very well. You are—“

“—in the private chambers of Lady Jhamel and Lady Talla. We await your arrival, Matriarch.”

Thonos’s announcement caused a stir within the Clan. Talas leaned over to Hayes and whispered, “We have always respected a Clan Member’s personal space, Captain. Thonos would never have invaded Jhamel’s private chambers without the direst of excuses.”

Dirus, Linha’s second son, overheard Talas’s whisper and glared at Hayes. “Quite correct, Sister. I would assume that Thonos would not have broken tradition if he hadn’t been with the Terrans.”

“We have a similar tradition, Dirus,” Hayes said quietly, “unless there is some reason to break it. A kidnapping—or other breach of security—is considered a just cause.”

Linha glared at her own offspring; Dirus lowered his eyes in the wake of his own outburst. “That will be quite enough, Dirus. Control your impulse to accuse others without evidence. You would be a poor investigator; all of your fugitives would be set free because of their innocence, not their guilt.” Her words were low, but had the effect of a whiplash. Dirus’s face blazed an even deeper blue when he realized no one would raise a voice in his defense.

“I beg forgiveness, Captain,” Dirus said, but his tone indicated it was only honor that forced the apology.

“Apology accepted,” Hayes replied. He had the feeling that he should leave while he still could. He nodded at Linha’s beckoning and quickly followed her out of the Clan Chamber, followed by Talas and Jhamel’s bondmates. Hayes felt the Clan’s eyes on his back, as well as their unspoken agreement with Dirus’s words.

No one said a word as they walked down a long, covered pathway that wound its way through Tualan. It was Market Day, but the stalls were mostly empty. Passers-by took one look at Linha’s terrible expression and hurried out of their way. The muted silence heightened Hayes’s nerves, for Talas’s questioning look told him that this was not usual.

“I do not like this, Captain,” Talas said, sotto voce. “Matriarch—“

“Fall back and protect Jhamel’s bondmates,” Linha whispered back.

Matriarch—“

“Obey me.”

Grudgingly, Talas took position next to Mehshri and Raavan. Both of the bondmates held hands as they strolled down the path, but they didn’t say a word as they came closer and closer to Jhamel’s residence, in the southern part of the city. Hayes recognized the Terran Consulate, a delicately spired mansion nestled within a niche cut into the cave rock. There were more sentries in Imperial Guard colors; they recognized Linha and saluted her with a fist across their hearts.

Finally, they turned into a tiled plaza and Hayes saw J.T. Daniels sitting on a stone bench with another member of the Guard. Daniels looked up at his captain’s approach; his companion sprang up to attention and gave Linha a precise salute.

“Your name and rank?” Linha asked.

“First Rating Kevan,” the Andorian replied in a crisp tone. “Aide to General Thonos. He awaits you inside, General. If you would permit me to escort you—“

“Thank you, First Rating.” As she, Kevan, Talas, Mehshri and Raavan filed into the nearby building, Hayes and Daniels took up the rear. Daniels hadn’t said anything, but the grim expression said plenty. Daniels wanted Thonos to make the report to Linha; none of the Columbia crew had any jurisdiction here, and were only considered guests. Hayes blessed his first officer for his discretion.

“Captain,” Nate greeted. The Armory Officer stood up from the carved wooden rocking-chair in the corner of Jhamel’s parlor. The warm colors of the walls were a striking contrast to the cool tones flooding through the windows. Hayes saw Jhamel’s touch here and there: a cream-colored blanket, a gold incense holder, an abstract painting above the flame-pot.

His heart tightened at the neat Andorian script at the bottom right corner of the painting: Mama, Papa, I hope you like it. Your Talla. “I take it you didn’t find much?” Hayes asked, as he forced his attention on his Armory Officer.

“Actually, Captain, we found plenty,” Nate answered, “but you’re not gonna believe it. Rosie and her counterpart are running analyses on some chemical traces they found on the furniture in Jhamel’s office, but I think they’re pretty conclusive.” Daniels silently handed Matt a data PADD as Nate continued, “These were from DNA samples left there: some hair and skin samples. Jhamel didn’t give up without a fight, even if she’s an Aenar.”

Matt stared at the results. There were positive matches to both Talla’s and Jhamel’s DNA records, but there were even more traces that were definitely not Andorian. He wasn’t a geneticist, but the proteins had been labeled with Rosie’s usual care.

Vulcan. They were kidnapped by Vulcans? How is that possible? Shran and Jhamel had the most sophisticated security system of anyone I’ve seen, Andorian or otherwise. Matt cursed softly under his breath, then asked, “You’re sure about these?”

“As I said, Rosie’s double-checking, but it’s pretty solid.” Nate’s tone was deadly quiet. “According to the security logs, someone had disabled the security system and a transporter beam swept Jhamel and Talla away to parts unknown.”

“Even Vulcan transporters have problems getting through meters of icy rock,” Matt objected.

Daniels finally spoke up. “Yes, but they’d had to beam down themselves and slap transport enhancers on Jhamel and Talla to boost their signals. It looks like it was meant to be a quick and clean operation, but they obviously didn’t count on Jhamel and Talla fighting back as much as they did.”

“But Vulcan? What would the Vulcans have to gain from kidnapping Andoria’s ambassador to Earth and her daughter?” Matt shook his head. “It doesn’t make sense.”

Daniels glanced at Nate, who shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot. “High Minister V’Lar’s government hasn’t been exactly stable, Matt,” Nate said. “If it isn’t the Vulcans, someone’s done a lot to make it look like them.”

“And the Vulcans and the Andorians have been enemies for hundreds of years,” Matt said grimly. “This would blow relations between them to hell and back.”

There was a muttered oath from the other side of the room. Linha held a similar PADD in her hands, one that Thonos had given her. Next to her, Talas’s face became like stone. Linha’s hand trembled before she managed to control it.

“I cannot believe this,” Linha said. Then she repeated in a louder voice, “I cannot believe this.”

Thonos pressed his lips together and said, “Neither can I, but the evidence is clear.”

“Call a general alert,” she hissed, “and scramble the Guard’s Red Group. Inform the Chancellor that I have ordered sh’neikia la’yephenik.”

Thonos turned as pale as his Aenar cousins, but only answered, “I live to serve, General.” He hurried over to his aide, Kevan.

“Lieutenant Talas!

Talas also snapped to attention. “Yes, General.” Linha was no longer her mother, or even her Matriarch, but her superior officer. “How may I serve?”

“Report to the Asahari and ready Squadron Two for immediate departure. I will alert your brother on the Hanrii. Go now.”

Talas stiffened and saluted. “Yes, General!” She turned and hurried out of Jhamel’s parlor without a backward glance. Thonos was already issuing orders to his own troops. Linha turned to Hayes and met his gaze.

“I will demand a reply to this, Captain, and I ask you to consult with your Starfleet about this,” she said. “This will have great consequences for this sector and you must be prepared.”

“Linha.” Her gaze hardened at his use of her first name, but Hayes didn’t back down. “If you attack now, you’ll destabilize the entire sector. It’ll spread not only from Andoria, but Vulcan and Tellar and the other colonies as well.”

“Which is why we must take steps now, Matthew,” she argued. “Jhamel is my daughter-in-law and Talla my granddaughter, and blood needs to be repaid in kind. As you are Shran’s bond-brother, you must understand this.”

“Linha—“

“Enough. Sh’neikia la’yephenik. This is a family affair, and if you consider yourself a member of this clan, you will abide by this clan’s decisions.” Linha took a deep breath and calmed herself. When she spoke again, her voice was more sympathetic. “As a Starfleet captain, you must relay this event to your people. I charge you to do so.”

Matt nodded reluctantly. Sh’neikia la’yephenik translated to blood debt. Now that the culprits had been identified, Linha was obligated to honor it. At the same time, she understood the moral quandary Matt had been thrown in and had asked him to help in a way that wouldn’t compromise his duty to Starfleet.

Dammit, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it. “I understand.”

“You must return to your ship. I cannot protect you from the inevitable backlash that will result when this information becomes public, and it will become public. There will be a cry for retaliation and I do not wish you to be caught in the initial throes of it.”

Hayes bowed his head. Linha was bound by tradition and family honor, and she was acting not only as Matriarch of one of Andoria’s most powerful clans, but as a top officer of the Andorian military. “I’ll inform Admiral Forrest immediately, General, and my wife. She is the soul of discretion.”

“I trust your judgement, Matthew. Protect your wife and protect those under your command.” Linha’s eyes were full of regret. “You must go back to your ship. Go now, while you still can. The Council will close our airspace and our borders and you must not be trapped here.”

“Understood.” Hayes turned to Daniels. “J.T., find Rosie. Inform Columbia we’re on our way up and that I need a Priority One channel to Starfleet Command right away.” He was about to follow Daniels and Kemper, but Linha put a hand on his arm.

“May the Gods protect you, Clan Son,” she said softly. “I would not want to see you honored too soon at the Wall of Heroes.”

His mouth quirked upwards. “I don’t plan on dying anytime soon, Matriarch. You’ll see me again.”


Back to Part 2
Continue to Part 4

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.