Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Broken Loyalties"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Spoilers: ENT “Horizon” and “Dead Stop”
Pairings: None in this chapter, but eventually R/S
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em. Don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Here’s the final story in the “Boomer Bust” Trilogy. Read “Boomer Bust” and “Deadly Negotiations” to understand the deal with Travis and his brother Paul.

Lots of action in this chapter. The Boomers, Enterprise and Travis’s crew work together to apprehend Tanaka, but there are still some surprises. This is the next to the last chapter of the Trilogy, but the reprecussions of the events will still be felt in future stories (after all, the Trade Consortiums are in a bit of a mess). Please let me know what you think of it. Thanks!


Thirteen

“I don’t see her. Where is she?”

Travis frowned as Helmsman Rudi brought the Hsshahu to a low hover. “I thought you fixed those sensors, Thor.”

The Khorian twitched his whiskers and his rat-like tail thrashed in irritation. “I did, Captain Travis. Commander Tucker double-checked my work—“

Trip’s voice was quiet. “Don’t be too hard on the kid, Travis. He’s doin’ all he can.”

Travis felt a surge of shame and embarrassment. He reached over and clapped Captain Sandosh’s sensory officer on the shoulder. Thor managed an open-mouthed smile, his fangs gleaming in the low light. “That’s OK, Captain Travis,” he said. “I want to catch Tanaka as much as you do.”

“Thanks, Thor.” Travis sighed and ordered another sensor sweep. Sandosh had allowed him to borrow the Vhrum’s shuttle, the Hsshahu. Thor, along with Trip, and Hoshi, searched for Tanaka’s escape craft using the Hsshahu’s modified sensors. Rudi, Sandosh's helmsman on the Vhrum, was at the helm, while San'wheSandosh's weapons officer, was at his station.

Far above them, Enterprise and the other Boomer ships formed a blockade above Vega. T’Pol coordinated the Enterprise sensor sweeps with those of the Boomer ships. It would be difficult for Tanaka to escape their net, but Travis wouldn’t take any chances.

“Vegan Shuttle Trafalgar to Hsshahu,” came Malcolm Reed’s voice over the com.

Trafalgar?” Trip asked aloud, his mouth turned up at the corners. “As in Lord Admiral Nelson?”

Hoshi chuckled and shrugged. “Malcolm’s always been a student of British naval history,” she reminded them. She touched the com button. “Go ahead, Trafalgar.

“We’ve taken position on the night side of the planet. All’s quiet so far.”

Travis nodded to himself and replied, “Keep a sharp eye out for her, Malcolm.”

“Acknowledged. Trafalgar, out.”

Trip grinned and mused, "Admiral Reed would approve of his son's choice of name for his first command."

Hoshi and Travis exchanged grins. "I'm sure he would," she agreed.

Trip and Thor began another sensor sweep and Trip commented, “Even if Tanaka managed to get her hands on some kind of cloaking device, we’d still pick it up.”

Three hours passed without any activity. Travis checked in with Captain Archer, Malcolm, Sandosh, and the other Boomer captains, but they confirmed that all was still quiet. Bernhard, in command of the ground forces on Vega, also said the airfields and the other transports were empty.

“We’ve been scouting the other Vegan settlements as well,” Bernhard continued. “She’s popular with the natives; it could be that they’re hiding her somewhere.”

“Keep at it, Bernhard. Tanaka can’t hide forever.”

“Will do, Travis. Mueller out.”


Six hours later, Thor bolted upright in his chair. “Transporter signature, low orbit, Travis! It’s not one of ours! Three-thousand meters directly below us!”

Travis swore as he made his way from the sleeping bunks at the back of the shuttle. “They’re probably trying to use us for cover. Hoshi, alert Captain Archer and the Boomers. Rudi, move us parallel to them, nice and slow, as if we’re doing another scan of the planet. San’whe, short-range lasers on my command.”

“Yes, Captain Travis,” said the Orion helmsman and the Saurian weapons officer.

Travis felt the thrum of power under his feet as Hsshahu crept into position. Then San’whe called out in alarm, “Weapons lock on us!”

“Fire, San’whe! Evasive, Rudi! Hang on, everyone!”

Both shuttles fired at the same time, striking each other’s shields. The brief flare of the lasers outlined Tanaka’s shuttle as it dipped out of Hsshahu’s firing range and made as if to run the blockade. Rudi reversed course without Travis’s order and set Hsshahu on a pursuit course.

“Travis!” Trip shouted. He pointed at the data on his screen. “If we fire here, here and here, we’ll be able to slow her down!”

“Transfer your data to Thor and San’whe. Fire when you’ve got a lock, San’whe.”

“With pleasure, Captain Travis,” the weapons officer snarled. A minute later, he pushed the weapons button, scoring several hits on the shuttle. It winked back into existence, engines and cloak gone.

“Four lifesigns,” Thor reported.

“Signal Enterprise to beam them aboard,” Travis replied. “They’re the closest ship.”

Trip scowled as he glanced at Thor’s board. “Is it me, or was that too easy?” he asked aloud. “Didn’t think Tanaka would make it this easy.”

“You think it was just a decoy?” Hoshi asked him.

The com crackled again. “Mueller to Enterprise.” Bernhard’s voice held a touch of panic and they all looked up as the normally unflappable Armory officer’s tone.

“Go ahead, Ensign Mueller,” came Jon Archer’s voice.

“Sir, there’s just been an explosion at one of the Vegan settlements! We’re moving into position to help civilians, but we need medical personnel.”

“I’m beaming Phlox and his med team down,” Archer replied, anger in his voice. “Intrepid and Shenandoah are the closest Starfleet vessels and they’re on their way.”

Captain Sandosh broke into the channel. “Vhrum, Caymar Star, Livingston, Rhonharuy, and S’Pura are responding as well, Captain.” In the background, they heard Admiral Reed issuing orders.

Suddenly, a loud yowl echoed in the Hsshahu’s cabin. Travis thought he was hearing things, but everyone’s heads snapped around at the sound. To Travis’s shock, Oneko sat on the chair arm between Thor and Trip. One paw was resting on lower right corner of Thor’s screen.

“What is this...thing doing here?” Thor burst out, his gray-green skin turning a sheer white. “This...predator!”

Crap, Oneko! You’re scaring Thor! Travis had wondered if Khorians were afraid of felines like their Earth counterparts; now he knew they were. Poor Thor’s whiskers twitched and his black eyes were wide as saucers. “You’re a little big to be on her menu, Thor,” he reassured the sensory officer.

Hoshi went over and picked up Oneko in her arms. “Travis, she’s pointing at this part of space,” she said, tapping her finger on the screen.

“There ain’t anythin’ there,” Trip objected, his accent thicker than usual.

“Not yet,” Travis said, his thoughts in a whirl. “Rudi, take us to those coordinates, nice and slow.”

The non-Human crew glanced at each other. “You’re actually listening to that...that...thing?” Thor all but wailed.

Travis put a hand on his shoulder. “Oneko knows what she’s doing, Thor. Relax. Hoshi, keep her on that side of the cabin, okay? It’ll be fine, Thor. She won’t eat you.” At his words, Oneko’s meows sounded apologetic. Whatever the cat said seemed to mollify Thor’s panic, but only barely.

Minutes ticked by as Rudi piloted Hsshahu to the heading Oneko had indicated. Travis did some calculations in his head and his anger at Tanaka grew. If she launched from Airfield Five-B, that puts her close to that Vegan settlement. She knows that we’d respond to a crisis; Bernhard wouldn’t allow innocent civilians to get hurt. The Vegans welcomed her, allowed her on their planet and she does this? Judging from what Tanaka had done in the past, it didn’t surprise him, but only increased his disgust for her.

“Sensor echo!” Thor cried. His coloring was close to his normal gray-green as he brought his attention back to his instruments. “Two-eight mark one-five!”

“Confirmed, Travis!” Trip added. “Looks like a small two-person craft. Looks like they’re running under a cloak...”

Trafalgar is on a pursuit course,” Thor added, overlapping Trip. “Enterprise and Vhrum are closing the gap in the blockade.”

Travis leaned forward in his seat. “Alert all Boomer ships to adjust positions accordingly. Hoshi, send our tac data over to Malcolm. San’whe—“

The weapons officer nodded, but didn’t take his eyes off his screens. “I’m tracking her, Captain Travis, but their cloak is throwing off my targeting.”

“Best guess, San’whe. Rudi, take us to Two-eight mark six two.”

Rudi paled, but said, “Yes, Captain Travis.”

Trip’s voice was quiet. “We’d be staring down her throat, Travis.”

Travis nodded and replied, “Remember the simulation, about six or so months ago, Trip?”

The engineer inclined his head as he remembered. “Doin’ the unexpected?”

“You got it. Now’s the chance to see if your modifications to the Hsshahu’s shields will work.” He glanced at Thor. “Range?”

The Khorian’s paws trembled and his tail spasmed nervously, but he replied, “If the sensors are right, eight-thousand meters. Seven-thousand five hundred—Trafalgar’s three thousand meters off their stern. Trafalgar’s targeting with their phase cannon—“

“Malcolm’s new toy,” Trip muttered under his breath.

Trafalgar’s firing, wide miss—our range is four-thousand meters—“

“Rudi, get ready to move to alternate coordinates. San’whe—“

“Lasers tracking, Captain Travis...locked!”

“Fire!”

San’whe mashed the firing button as Rudi dove out of the way. Hsshahu’s powerful short range lasers impacted against the bow of the enemy craft. As Rudi spun the shuttle around, San’whe got another shot at the underside of Tanaka’s ship, just as Trafalgar’s phase cannon struck Tanaka’s cloaking generator on the port side. Tanaka’s scoutcraft flew by, trailing sparks, its nebulous form solidifying as the cloak failed.

“New course, one-five-one mark one,” Travis said, giving the coordinates from memory.

“We knocked out their shield generators,” Thor crowed, “and Trafalgar got their cloaking generator.”

“But they’re still goin’ strong on only one engine,” Trip said. “Damn, they must have some amazing back-ups on that thing...”

“Target their remaining engine, San’whe,” Travis ordered.

Suddenly, a cold voice echoed over the com. Hoshi’s eyes widened as they all recognized it, and Travis’s stomach lurched. “I told you that I would make you pay for what you’ve done to my family, Tanaka,” said Rhianna Mayweather, “and I always keep my word.”

“Mom!” Travis choked out. “Wait—!”

Then Caymar Star fired a short burst. The transport’s weapons were almost negligible compared to Hsshahu’s or Trafalgar’s, but they were practically at “spitting range” of Tanaka’s scoutship. As the scoutship attempted to go past them to break the blockade, Caymar Star’s lasers scored a hit on its one remaining engine. The resulting explosion knocked the scoutship off course and battered Caymar Star’s shields, but the transport was in one piece. The scoutship, however...

“Holy crap,” Trip whispered, as the battered hulk drifted in space.

“Lifesigns?” Travis asked, still in complete shock.

“Two, very weak,” Thor replied, his own voice a high-pitched squeak.

“Signal Enterprise for emergency medical beam-out,” Travis said. “Hail Caymar Star.”

Hoshi pressed the earpiece deeper into her ear and shook her head. “They’re not responding, Travis. I think the explosion knocked out their comm relay. Captain Archer says that the two people have been transported to Enterprise.” Her mouth pressed into a thin line. “One of them’s Tanaka. Travis, Malcolm’s hailing us from Trafalgar.”

“Put him through.” At Hoshi’s nod, he asked, “You guys in one piece over there?”

“We’re all right,” Malcolm replied. “Looks like your strategy worked.”

“We had a little bit of help, Malcolm.”

Trafalgar requests permission to assist with the rescue effort on the planet.”

Malcolm’s formal tone threw Travis off for a moment, but then he realized that technically, he was still in command. “Permission granted, Lieutenant Commander Reed. In fact, I think we’ll join you, if that’s all right.”

“Of course, sir. Trafalgar, out.”

“Rudi, match course and speed with Trafalgar. Let’s clear out the bunks and the cargo space in the back; we’re gonna need ‘em.” Travis closed his eyes as his crew moved to obey his orders. His thoughts were still in disarray.

Gotta talk to Mom and Paul when this is all over...God, what’m I saying...it is finally over. All he could think of were the losses on this long and exhausting mission, all the deaths. Not only the Vegans, but the others on Alpha Centauri, all because of Tanaka’s conspiracy on Vega, and Guillem Montclaire on Alpha Centauri...

He felt a soft touch on his cheek and a comforting purr in his ear. Travis tipped his head back against Oneko’s fur, accepting her comfort as a single tear rolled down his cheek.


Back to Part 12
Continue to Part 14

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.