Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Broken Loyalties"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Spoilers: ENT “Horizon” and “Dead Stop”
Pairings: None in this chapter, but eventually R/S
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em. Don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Here’s the final story in the “Boomer Bust” Trilogy. Read “Boomer Bust” and “Deadly Negotiations” to understand the deal with Travis and his brother Paul.

Last chapter, but the surprises ain’t over yet. (Warning, some fluff ahead!) Be on the lookout for upcoming stories...and you’ll find out where Oneko’s going.

Pairing: R/S


Fourteen

The debriefing was quick and rather painless, to Travis’s surprise. Admiral Forrest had read his and Captain Archer’s reports, so he already knew the sequence of events. Captain Archer sat on Travis’s right, Philippe Trieste at his left, with Hoshi Sato and Bernhard Mueller rounding out the group. Travis was surprised that Malcolm was absent, but Mueller had told him that Malcolm “was taking care of some urgent business.”

Travis took a deep breath and glanced at Hoshi. She seemed calm, but her eyes betrayed worry and uncertainty. Was she worried about Malcolm’s possible transfer as head of the Centaurian Security Force? If Malcolm went, would she go with him? A loud purr interrupted his thoughts. Hoshi smiled as Oneko rubbed against the sleeve of her uniform. She reached out and stroked the cat.

“I didn’t know Hoshi had a cat,” Philippe whispered. “Does Malcolm know?”

Travis nodded. “Oneko has saved our lives more than once, Philippe. She’s more than just a cat.” At his words, Oneko looked straight at Philippe and meowed.

Tres bien, ma cherie,” Philippe laughed. “Enchante.”

Travis and Captain Archer traded knowing glances. Archer knew that Oneko was “more than just a cat”, like Porthos was “more than just a dog.” The captain hadn’t said a word at Oneko’s strange appearances on Enterprise; his tacit approval of a second “pet” aboard the ship was obvious.

Admiral Forrest cleared his throat as he brought the meeting to order. Archer turned back to Forrest’s image on the screen. “So Tanaka was behind the deaths of Philippe Trieste’s parents?”

“Not directly; she was more of an accessory, but she had a direct hand in many more, well, ‘accidents’.” Travis felt his jaw tighten at the word. Philippe Trieste, sitting next to him, had a stony expression on his face. “The information that Lieutenant Sato found is pretty damning. It’ll be enough to put her away for a long, long time.”

"So she'll stand trial," Philippe said quietly.

"Yes." Forrest glanced at Hoshi. "And in accord with your and Lieutenant Commander Reed's recommendations, we have her under constant surveillance, to make sure she doesn't do anything...drastic."

At Archer's furrowed brow, Hoshi explained, "Tanaka has lost face, Captain. To a samurai, that is the ultimate insult. Honor demands that she regain it by seppuku." At his look of incomprehension, she sighed and added, "Ritual suicide."

Travis's eyes widened and Archer glanced back at Forrest. "That's why she's constantly under guard and that we've made sure she doesn't have any poison or weapons on her person. We won't let her take her own life." Forrest gazed back at Travis. “I’m glad to hear that your family is safe.”

“Thanks to a lot of people.” Travis added. He noticed Forrest's attempt to change the subject. “That reminds me...now that Tanaka’s been caught, what’ll happen to her Consortium? “

Philippe Trieste answered that question. “It goes to a member of a collateral branch of her family. Lady Mariko Asagawa has agreed to take over...and she offers her fortress as the meeting site for new negotiations between the Consortiums and Starfleet.”

Travis’s face fell as he stared at Admiral Forrest. He promised that I’d be back on Enterprise when this is over. “Aw, man,” he groaned.

“Just for a month more, Travis. After that, your obligations are over and I’ll reassign you back to the Enterprise.” Forrest seemed abashed, as if he knew what Travis’s reaction would be. “I promise.”

Travis sighed heavily, but he caught Jonathan Archer’s expression. He knew that Archer had “discussed” matters with Forrest behind the scenes. “I’m holding you to that, Admiral.”

Forrest smiled and said, “Don’t worry, Travis. I need a month to settle some things here, then I’m coming to Vega to take over negotiations. You’ve laid the groundwork, son; now it’s time for Philippe and I to take over the reins.”


One month later...

Travis and Paul stepped out into the courtyard of Tanaka Enterprises’s former stronghold. A flock of seagulls cried overhead, a counterpoint to the dull murmur of the Terran/Colonial Trade Coalition representatives on the grounds. Paul was dressed in his Boomer outfit of dark pants, blue shirt and black vest and boots, while Travis wore his Starfleet uniform. The rest of the courtyard was ablaze with color from several different Colonies and from Earth.

Philippe Trieste waved at them from the garden fountain. The master of EdML wore his formal robes as befitted the head of Alpha Centauri’s major Consortium, but the grin he wore made him appear years younger. Travis chuckled as the Mayweathers moved to join him.

“Bet you didn’t expect all this, huh?” Travis teased.

“Actually, no.” Philippe shrugged and made a helpless gesture. “I think seeing what happened to Tanaka put some fear in the hearts of the other Consortium leaders. They’re all scrambling to protect their interests. The evidence against Tanaka implicates some of them as well, so Starfleet and the new trade commissions will be busy for a while.”

“And so will you.”

Philippe sighed. “Admiral Forrest suggested that it was in everyone’s best interest if EdML plays a major role in shaping trade policy in the Colonies. I couldn’t refuse. Which reminds me...” He pulled out a PADD and handed it to Paul. “I meant to give this to you earlier—“

“What is it?” Paul asked, with a suspicious look. “Another contract?”

“Well, of a sort. I’d wondered if you’d rather work for an employer who isn’t willing to blow up your shuttle while you’re on it. Besides,” Philippe had a sober expression as he continued, “we need someone who’s familiar with both Consortium and Boomer politics. Think you’re up for a job as my Trade Representative?”

It wasn’t often that Travis saw his brother completely speechless. This was one of those times. “Ah—that’s very generous of you, Philippe, but I—“

A feminine voice broke in. “I think I could get used to living on another Boomer ship, especially on the Alpha Centauri/Earth run.” Rhianna Mayweather said. She linked her arms within her younger son’s. “Living on Vega was long enough for me; I want to get back into space.”

Paul turned to her and grinned. “Can’t take the Boomer out of space, or space out of the Boomer, huh, Mom?”

“Darn straight, son.” She matched his grin. “Besides, I think I can help with the Boomer end of the deal. There’s still a lot of mistrust and apprehension on both sides, but I think this—“she indicated the representatives with her chin, “—is a start.”

Paul chuckled, then turned back to Philippe. “Well, I accept, if you’re willing to have me.”

Philippe extended his hand and Paul shook it firmly. As he and Paul began to talk about the position with EdML, Travis caught Malcolm standing next to his father, Hoshi sitting on a bench between them. Hoshi wore a flowing red kimono, edged with gold, and she looked absolutely gorgeous, with her hair done up in traditional style.

The elder Reed reached over and clapped his son on the shoulder, then turned to give Hoshi a smile. The petite Asian woman stood up and hugged the older man and kissed his cheek. Stuart Reed blushed crimson, but he only gave the couple a nod before walking away.

Looks like whatever was between those two is settled now. Travis gave a sigh of relief. Then he realized something: Malcolm wore his formal Starfleet uniform, not the black-and-gold of the Centaurian Security Force. That meant Malcolm was staying on Enterprise...

Wait a minute. What’s he doing in formal Starfleet uniform? I mean, I know I have to be in the monkey suit, but he doesn’t have to. A figure caught his eye: Bernhard Mueller, also in formals. Then Captain Archer and Commander Tucker approached, also dressed formally. What the hell is going on?

Philippe Trieste leaned over and whispered, “I believe one of my Stewards requests his brother’s presence at his side for a very important ceremony.”

Travis’s jaw hit the ground. He caught his mother’s sunny smile and Paul’s smirk. “Am I the only one who didn’t know about this?”

“You were rather busy,” came Malcolm Reed’s voice over his shoulder. The Englishman wore a slight smile, not his regular smirk. “Would you, Travis?”

He grinned. “For a fellow Steward, anything.”


So on the shores of the ocean on Vega, on a bright sunny afternoon, Lieutenant Travis Mayweather, Master (formerly Crewman) Philippe Trieste, Ensign Bernhard Mueller, and Commander Trip Tucker stood in attention as Lieutenant Commander Malcolm Reed married Lieutenant Hoshi Sato in a ceremony presided over by Captain Archer. Attending the bride was her mother, Michiko Sato, Liz Cutler, T’Pol, and Madeline Reed.

Admiral Reed represented the Royal Navy, while Admiral Max Forrest came for Starfleet, and the representatives of many worlds also witnessed the ceremony. Mary Reed blinked tears and whispered something to Stuart; he only smiled.

Travis brought his attention back to Hoshi and Malcolm, who seemed to be in their own world. And when Captain Archer pronounced them husband and wife and granted permission for Malcolm to kiss his bride, Trip Tucker and Travis began the applause, which thundered over the shoreline.

“Day for new beginnings, eh?” Bernhard whispered.

“Yeah,” Travis whispered back. “Let’s hope we can keep up the momentum.” He glanced down to see Oneko sitting on his feet, purring so loud he heard her over the crowd.


Back to Part 13

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.