Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"May the Wind Be at Our Backs"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Technically, this is the third story in the “Switcheroo Series” (after “Captain Sato’s Enterprise” and “Whips, Chains and Plomeek Soup”), but this tells the very first mission of Captain Sato’s Enterprise, before the events of the other two stories. Same people, same ships, different universe. The series presumes that Humans and Klingons haven’t met yet at the time of the First Mission, so it’s not like “Broken Bow”.

The Vulcans are different from the canon universe. They have their own agenda.

The title comes from Kirk’s line in “Star Trek III: The Search for Spock”, when he addressed McCoy, Chekov, Scotty, and Sulu before they steal the Enterprise out of Spacedock. Those words, in turn, come from a traditional Irish blessing.

Note: Thanks again, Pesterfield:)


Crew Roster for this AU version of NX-01

Captain Hoshi Sato

First Officer/Science Officer Travis Mayweather

Chief Engineer Phlox

Armory/Tactical Officer Charles “Trip” Tucker the Third

Chief Medical Officer Malcolm Reed

Communications Officer/Exo-linguist Jonathan Archer

Helm/Navigation Officer Ensign T’Pol

Medical Specialist/ Lieutenant Elizabeth Cutler

Other Characters

Admiral Max Forrest, Head of Starfleet Command

Ambassador Soval

Chief Minister V’Lar

Security Minister T’Pau

Head of Sciences T’Les (T’Pol’s mother)

Dr. T’Vau, Head of Vulcan Medical Academy

Captain J. Matthew Hayes, Commanding Officer Columbia NX-02

Commander J. T. Daniels, First Officer/Science Officer Columbia NX-02 (And yeah, I put Hayes and Daniels on the same ship on purpose. You’ll see why later.)

Pairings: R/S, TnT (brief Hayes/Sato before the mission begins. My fellow R/S shippers, don’t shoot me! LOL)


One

Captain Hoshi Sato stared out at the viewport at the silver shape floating in Spacedock. Transports and shuttles buzzed around it, dock personnel in EV suits hovered over it with torches and welders, and lights blazed on it as bright as day. Her mind was calm, despite the chaos around her. She’d learned long ago to block out distractions; her sensitive hearing made that a survival skill. Two more days and we’ll be sailing among the stars. She smiled as she felt a surge of pride. She, Captain Hoshi Sato, would be the commander of Earth’s first Warp 5 vessel. There were two Warp 5-capable ships being finished, the Enterprise and Columbia, but Enterprise would be the first to launch, much to the chagrin of the Columbia’s captain. He’d invited her to dinner the night before, the last she’d have on Earth for at least several months.

“Wanna trade places?” asked Captain Jeremiah Matthew Hayes. He couldn’t hide the envy in his voice, though his wide grin split his face.

“Hell, no, Matt,” she replied with an answering grin. “Besides, we’ll both be in joint training maneuvers with the Vulcans in a couple of weeks. Columbia’s almost done herself, you know.”

“Yeah, but—“ He sighed theatrically. “Seriously, Hoshi, you deserve Enterprise. I can’t think of anyone else on that bridge but you and you’ve got a fine crew. I can personally vouch for Commander Mayweather. He’s the best damn science officer I’ve ever had and he’s got a knack for working with people. I think he’ll do you well as a first officer.”

Hoshi nodded and sipped at her wine. “I’ve talked with Mayweather personally. His knowledge of the Boomer's trade routes and outposts will be helpful for our mission.”

She and Matt chatted about their respective crews, assembled from all corners of Starfleet. Columbia not only had a Vulcan on board, but crew from several other worlds. Enterprise’s future Chief Engineer was a Denobulan. Matt thought that Starfleet was trying to integrate their Human and non-Human personnel as soon as they could.

“Is that a bad thing?” Hoshi asked him.

“I don’t know. The idea’s a good one, but—“he shrugged and said, “—I know the Vulcans and the Andorians don’t get along, and neither do the Andorians and the Tellarites. The last thing I want is a shipboard war on my first mission.”

“Good thing your Armory officer is a Marine. Major Nathan Kemper?”

“Yeah. Good guy to have at your side.”

The dinner had ended with a nightcap at the 602 Club. Everyone at the 602 knew both Hoshi and Matt; in fact, the rumors were that the two were not only fellow captains, but lovers as well. Matt Hayes, ever the gentleman, kept his mouth shut. Hoshi never confirmed--or denied--the rumor.

And now, as she gazed at her ship from the viewport, she knew Matt was doing the same on the other side of the station as he gazed down at Columbia. She felt a sudden thrill at the thought of their ships working closely together on their first mission.

A shrill chirp interrupted her thoughts. She winced at the sound, then flipped open her communicator. “Sato here.”

“Hoshi, it’s Admiral Forrest.” Max Forrest’s voice was quiet but she knew something wasn’t right. He was a consummate professional; the use of her first name meant something was really wrong. “I need to see you right away. It concerns the joint training maneuvers.”

She frowned. “Is there a problem, sir?”

“Not exactly...but I need to see you as soon as possible.”

She stifled a sigh and told him, “I’ll be right there, sir.”


Hoshi clamped her jaw shut. Internally, she cursed Starfleet’s bureaucracy with a mix of Orion and Andorian curses. “Max, this is ridiculous! How can they change my crew roster two days before launch?”

Forrest sighed. When Hoshi had been his first officer on the Madagascar, he’d been the rock of stability for his crew. Now she could see the effort it took him to keep up that image. “Hoshi, I’m sorry. We’re swapping some of your people with Matt Hayes’s, but that still leaves some gaping holes to fill.”

“Does Captain Hayes know about this?”

He nodded. “I got more than an earful from him. He damn near chewed my ear off, but I don’t blame him. I gave him a modified roster. Unfortunately, that means he’s got to swing by Altair to pick up his new science officer and culinary specialist—“

“His chef’s going to be from Altair?” Hoshi tried to keep the horror from her voice.

“He’s got twenty-five years experience in Terran and Colonial cuisine, Hoshi. Skara makes more than rabbit food; I know Matt’s a meat-and-potatoes type.” Nevertheless, Forrest couldn’t keep the humor from his voice. “You’re going to be missing a communications officer, an armory officer, a helm officer and a chief medical officer.”

Hoshi stared at him and mentally threw out more curses in five more languages. “And how is Starfleet going to expect me to launch in two days with four key staff positions empty?”

“I can help with the helm and medical officers, but I need to talk with some people. I’ve got some recommendations for your armory officer, if you’d be willing to listen.” He slid a PADD across the desk to her. Its screen had only one name on it, a name that brought a faint smile to her face.

“If I didn’t know better, I’d thought you’d set me up.”

Forrest didn’t smile, but he said. “You have forty-eight hours to find your communications officer. I know you can find someone.”

After Forrest dismissed her, she thought, How am I going to find a comm officer in less than two days?


The Weapons and Tactical Research and Development Division (also known as WeTaRD, as well as other unofficial—and less savory—names) had been built on the site of the old NASA space center at Cape Canaveral, Florida. The maze of buildings, its sophisticated security systems and its numerous underground passages were enough to make James Bond think twice before invading it.

Office Nine-Three A was still mostly bare; sealed boxes and bundles were piled high along one wall, ready to be unpacked. The desk was already littered with schematics and drawings, PADDS of Security Systems Monthly and Engineering Quarterly, University of Florida Press. WeTaRD’s new executive officer sat in the office and stared at the one PADD in his hand. “Change of Orders” was the screen’s title.

“Aw, no,” he groaned. “They’re playin’ musical chairs with us again?”

The sound of feminine laughter from the doorway made him jump. “Are you saying you’ve missed my charming presence, Trip?”

Lieutenant Commander Trip Tucker turned to see Hoshi Sato leaning against the doorframe. He laughed aloud and crossed the space between them in three steps. Hoshi laughed as he swung her around a few times, then set her on her feet.

“Hoshi! It’s so good to see ya!” he burst out. He glanced at the four pips on her uniform and said, “So, you’re my new commanding officer, huh?”

“Yeah.” Her face sobered. “I’m sorry you got pulled from WeTaRD, Trip. I know you’ve been wanting to stick close to home for a while.”

“Hey, I can handle it if I’m stuck on a flying tin can with ya. And at least y’all caught me before I got my stuff all unpacked,” he said gallantly. The irritation at being shuttled around the galaxy eased somewhat with Hoshi’s presence. “‘Sides, I heard the R&D guys took my recommendations on Enterprise’s armaments seriously. I’d like to see if they work the way they’re supposed to.”

“Some things don’t change, huh?”

Hoshi’s eyes sparkled, but Trip saw worry underneath the sparkle. He inclined his headand said, “Uh-oh. What is it? Somethin’ to do with all this shufflin’ around.”

“I have a big problem, Trip.”

He listened as she outlined her problem about her communications officer. He sighed and rolled his eyes to the ceiling. No wonder she was so upset; he knew that she’d already wasted breath cursing Starfleet’s desk jockeys in fifteen or so languages. He didn’t even want to imagine Matt Hayes’s rampage. How Hayes and Hoshi had ever gotten together, he had no idea.

“Unfortunately, can’t help you there,” Trip said. Then an idea occurred to him. “But I sure know who might be able to help.”

Her almond eyes widened at the confidence in his tone. “Who?”

“A good friend of mine. He’s a linguist and a diplomat at the Vulcan Embassy in San Francisco.” Trip’s grin was back, wider than ever. “His name is Jonathan Archer.”


Continue to Part 2.

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.