Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"May the Wind Be at Our Backs"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Technically, this is the third story in the “Switcheroo Series” (after “Captain Sato’s Enterprise” and “Whips, Chains and Plomeek Soup”), but this tells the very first mission of Captain Sato’s Enterprise, before the events of the other two stories. The series presumes that Humans and Klingons haven’t met yet at the time of the First Mission, so it’s not like “Broken Bow”.

The Vulcans are different from the canon universe. They have their own agenda.

Thanks again, Pesterfield:)


Five

Doctor Malcolm Reed sighed as he checked on his last patient. Svoren was over two-hundred and thirty years old, but the stubborn Vulcan was determined to last another two-hundred and thirty. Unfortunately, the man’s internal systems were shutting down. He would be lucky to see another night, much less another year. Malcolm had become rather fond of the gruff, no-nonsense Vulcan in the month he’d been in Malcolm’s care.

“Tell me, Doctor, do you have a mate?”

“What?” he glanced up from writing Svoren’s vital signs on his PADD. “Excuse me?”

Svoren’s amber-gold eyes twinkled under the medical bay’s lights. The wrinkles on his face deepened in silent humor, but the gruff tone belied his attempts to hide his mirth. “Do not be impertinent with me, young man. You heard what I asked you. I expect an answer.”

Malcolm shrugged as he entered the data into the Medical Academy’s main computer. He wasn't going to be baited by the old man. “No, sir, I don’t have a mate. Humans don’t bond in childhood like Vulcans do.”

“I can imagine the perfect mate for you: stubborn, exacting, dedicated and efficient.”

He chuckled and checked the fluid levels in the IV bag. So, the old man was wheedling him again. “I assume your mate was the same kind, eh?”

Svoren’s smile lit up his face. Advanced age had eroded his control over his emotions. He chattered with the ease of a man long comfortable around strangers. “Take my advice, Doctor: females, whether they are Vulcan or Human, believe they have the upper hand. Males allow it for the sake of their sanity.”

A corner of Malcolm's mouth turned up in a smirk. “I doubt T’Para would have agreed with your saying that.”

“T’Para would have been the first to agree with me.”

“No wonder she left you. Twice.”

“But she came back to me.” Svoren’s voice was suddenly soft. “She did come back to me. If it is meant to be, Doctor, they will come back.”

Malcolm glanced sharply at the readings on the panel above the bed. The indicators were definitely lower than they had been that morning. Not long now, he thought sadly. Svoren’s slipping further and further away. At the very least, I can make him comfortable. Svoren had fallen into one of his dozes; Malcolm drew the covers more securely around the Vulcan and left him alone.

He headed for the ward on the first floor. It had been a busy day. Not only was he in charge of Svoren’s case, but there were five more patients under his watch. T’Rien was recovering from a several broken ribs when an anti-grav car’s generator failed and had caught her underneath it. Selnek, a lad of barely ten, had passed his kahs-wan, the Rite of Passage...just barely. Srelak had suffered burns when an automatic sprayer in one of the greenhouses went off and caught him in the face. And the twins, T’Pru and T’Praya...

He slipped quietly into the children’s room and was glad to see both girls were asleep. As usual, they were holding hands across their beds. Malcolm had insisted that they not be separated; it was logical for the girls to aid each other in their healing trances. Their extraordinary abilities in that area would cut down their time spent at the Medical Academy. It only worked, though, when they girls were in close proximity to each other. Even the most stubborn Vulcan doctors could see the logic in his argument.

“You will miss them when you leave.”

The quiet voice at the doorway startled him. He saw Doctor T’Vau standing there; the head of the Medical Academy watched him with a look of sympathy. He nodded, for it was impossible to lie to a Healer with her level of ESP. “Yes, I will, but I know they are in good hands. They will heal and live long lives.”

T’Vau raised her eyebrows. “Is this a professional opinion or is this a...feeling?”

It was Malcolm’s turn to raise his eyebrows. She was the only one who asked him that question; others discounted “feelings” as illogical, gut feeling or otherwise. “A little of both, I suppose.”

“Ah.” T’Vau nodded in satisfaction. “I bring you a message from Ambassador Soval. The Enterprise will be in orbit in eight point two hours. I understand you are already prepared for the transfer.”

“I have briefed Doctor Stronek about my current patients and their care.” A worried frown creased his forehead. “They’re early. Is there a problem?”

“A change of orders from Starfleet. It is all explained here,” she replied, handing him a PADD. “It is imperative that you familiarize yourself with the details as quickly as possible.”

“I’ll do that. Thank you, T’Vau.”

She nodded, then she took a step back and gave him the Vulcan salute. “Live long and prosper, Malcolm Reed. May your journey be eventful.”

He returned the salute. “Likewise, T’Vau. Thank you for everything.”

A slight smile crossed her lips, then she left him. Malcolm read the message from Soval, his face growing more impassive as he scrolled down the page. He felt a definite sense of unease about Enterprise’s first mission, but if T’Vau had asked him why, he couldn’t give her an answer.

He’d learned to trust his intuition. It had saved his life and the lives of his patients.

He stuffed the PADD in the pocket of his lab coat, then looked over at the sleeping girls. His eyes softened as he went over to them and brushed a lock of hair off T’Pru’s face, and then off T’Praya’s. Yes, they would survive and thrive, but it was a pity he wouldn’t see them again.

“Live long and prosper, little ones,” he whispered. “Take care of each other.” Then he turned and walked away from the children’s ward.


Captain Hoshi Sato materialized in the transporter alcove of the Vulcan Science Academy. She took a deep breath and resisted the urge to make sure she’d arrived in one piece. The transporter was recently rated for “bio-transport”, but she was still leery of using it on a regular basis. Most people still depended on shuttles and she was one of them. Unfortunately, they were pressed for time, so she had to use the transporter.

“That was interesting,” Travis commented from the next pad. He looked at his hands as if reassuring himself they were still attached to his body. “Wasn’t too bad.”

“Speak for yourself,” Hoshi muttered. Yes, she was definitely going to use the shuttlepod next time. Travis gave her a look of complete sympathy, then shrugged. She brought herself up to her full height as the woman standing next to the transporter operator walked forward to greet them.

“I am Doctor T’Marui. Welcome to Shi’Kahr, Captain Sato.” The Vulcan woman was shorter than Hoshi was, with her short hair barely reaching her shoulders. T’Marui’s face was impassive, but Hoshi saw a distinct twinkle in her eye. She raised her hand in the Vulcan salute, which she and Travis returned.

“Thank you. This is my first officer and my science officer, Commander Mayweather.” Hoshi gestured towards Travis, who nodded in response.

“Commander. I am honored to meet you. I understand exo-archaeology is not one of your specialties, but I heard about your expedition to Sunniv Four. It would be helpful to hear your insights on that project.”

Travis blushed as Hoshi glanced at him. “A little...side project a few years ago when I was with Captain Hayes on the Montana. I’ll explain later.”

A slight smile played on T’Marui’s lips. “Captain, my team and our equipment are ready for our journey. It is agreeable to us if we expedite the transfer process as quickly as possible.”

“Of course. Commander Mayweather will assist you.” Vulcans usually controlled their emotions, but the scientist broadcasted her feelings like a subspace transmitter on maximum. She obviously admired Travis and was eager to get started on her expedition. Hoshi resisted a grin as T’Marui led Travis to one side of the alcove, already informing him on the various equipment they’d need.

The doors swooshed open to reveal Doctor T’Les. The Head of the Science Academy spared T’Marui a glance and Hoshi felt the temperature in the room sink ten degrees. That brief glare told Hoshi that T’Les was glad to see her colleague go. Professional rivalry? Or is there something else between those two? Hoshi remembered Jon Archer’s words: “Just because Vulcans base their actions on logic doesn’t mean they’ve cut off all emotions, Hoshi. They’re just better at hiding them.”

“Captain Sato, may I speak with you for a moment?” T’Les’s tone was soft, but there was an unmistakable air of command within it.

Anger is illogical. Jealousy is illogical. Yeah, right. Hoshi nodded and answered, “Of course.”

The two women left the transporter alcove. T’Les stepped onto a skybridge that spanned the length of the Science Academy. Large windows opened up onto a vista that took Hoshi’s breath away. Shi’Kahr’s buildings lay in a grid pattern, much like the academic campus, but each one was a unique style. The desert surrounded the city in all directions, stretching as far as the eye could see.

“Beautiful,” Hoshi breathed. “Reminds me of the Mojave Desert.”

“Have you been to Vulcan before?” T’Les asked politely.

Hoshi nodded. “Yes, for three months. I was with a group of linguistic students from the University of Brazil, but we were in Sura’Kahr. I’ve never been here in Shi’Kahr.”

“With Doctor Elizando?”

She glanced at T’Les, who was scrutinizing her carefully. Hoshi felt like a bug under an electron microscope. “You’ve been reading my record, obviously.”

“It is logical for me to find out as much as I can about my daughter’s new commanding officer,” T’Les countered. “T’Pol has never set foot off Vulcan before this. I am merely concerned for her welfare.”

“I understand, Doctor. I will be responsible for her well-being, as well as for the rest of the crew.”

T’Les’s mouth twitched as if she found humor in Hoshi’s promise. “I am gratified to hear that, Captain. Both Admiral Forrest and Ambassador Soval vouch for your abilities. They do not give their recommendations lightly.”

Hoshi glanced at her. Unlike T'Marui, T'Les was more difficult to read. It was as if the Vulcan had lowered a blast shield in front of her. “I am honored by their endorsement, but I give you my personal word that I will help T’Pol adjust to life on the Enterprise.”

T’Les nodded, but she still didn’t look convinced. Hoshi understood T’Les’s reluctance; after all, Soval had warned her that T’Pol had volunteered for this assignment against her mother’s advice. But this sense of expectation unnerved Hoshi...it was as if T’Les was expecting her to fail in her mission.

Or is it just because T’Pol will be the only Vulcan serving on board Enterprise right now? I think it’ll just take time for her to get used to the idea of T’Pol being off-planet. Hoshi fought a smile. All mothers fear for their children. She’s actually doing better than my mother did when I left for Starfleet.

"Doctor T'Marui is not your typical...scientist. I have advised T'Pol to avoid prolonged contact with her. My daughter's curiosity extends to more than just traveling the stars; she tends to gravitate towards...trouble." T'Les sighed, as if this confession amounted to a state secret. "It is not that I do not trust your stewardship, Captain. I worry about T'Pol's safety in such company."

Hoshi glanced at T'Les. If T'Marui had less fine control over her emotions than more typical Vulcans, then Hoshi could see why T'Les would be concerned. "You're worried that T'Pol might be...contaminated?"

T'Les visibly flinched at Hoshi's choice of words. "'Contaminated' might be too strong a word, Captain. 'Influenced' may be a more suitable substititute."

"Mmmm..." Hoshi murmured as she thought about the situation. "I'll ask Commander Mayweather and Lieutenant Commander Tucker to keep an eye on Doctor T'Marui for the duration of the trip, and I will personally watch T'Pol as much as my duties allow. Will that suffice, Doctor T'Les?"

"It must suffice for now." T'Les still didn't look happy, but then again, Hoshi wondered if anything about this would make her happy, short of T'Pol staying on Vulcan.

Two figures waited for them at the end of the skybridge. Both wore Starfleet uniforms, a dark-haired man in the blue of sciences, and a shorter Vulcan woman in the gold of operations. The woman’s long, blonde-brown hair was tightly coiled about her head, with the remainder of her hair spilling out from the center of the crown and down her back like a waterfall. Even from this distance, Hoshi could see the family resemblance to T’Les. This must be Ensign T’Pol, her new helmswoman. And the man...

He paused in his conversation and looked up at Hoshi. High cheekbones, a neatly trimmed goatee, thin lips upturned in a half-smile. His eyes were a shade between blue and gray, bright with intelligence. Those eyes seemed to sparkle in the Vulcan sunlight, but formality crept into them and dimmed that sparkle. Hoshi felt a pang of disappointment at that formality, but she didn’t know why she felt that.

“My daughter, Ensign T’Pol,” T’Les introduced. T’Pol bowed her head in respectful acknowledgment. "Captain Hoshi Sato, your new commanding officer."

"Ensign, I am honored to meet you," Hoshi said softly.

"The honor is mine." T'Pol looked at her. She was slightly taller than T'Les, with amber-gold eyes and a pale complexion. Hoshi's ear detected a slight accent that her mother's voice lacked. Not originally from Shi'Kahr, more southern, Shi'Khurin or thereabouts.

T'Les nodded at the man. “Doctor Malcolm Reed, previously of the Vulcan Medical Academy.”

“Captain,” Reed said. “A pleasure to meet you, finally.”

A slight smile tugged at her lips. British, she thought. She inclined her head as she tried to pinpoint Reed’s origin. Midlands, somewhere. Nottinghamshire? No, not quite...Leceistershire, maybe? At the doctor’s questioning look, she asked aloud. “Are you from Leceister, Doctor Reed?”

He raised his eyebrows. “My family is originally from Leceister, Captain. You could tell that from my accent, I’m sure.”

“Linguistics is a hobby of mine,” she said with a grin. She could have easily known that from his service record, but she noticed that Reed hadn’t said that. “I apologize for pulling you both from your previous duties on such short notice—“

The whine of her communicator interrupted her. “Excuse me.” She flipped it open, without missing a beat, she said, “Sato here.”

Lieutenant Jon Archer’s voice came over the line, causing both T’Les and T’Pol to exchange glances. “Captain, sorry to interrupt, but we have a priority call for you. It’s from Captain Hayes on the Columbia.”

She stifled a wave of irritation and thought, Matt has the greatest sense of timing. What the hell does he want? Hoshi was surprised at her own reaction, but shoved the feeling aside. “Hold on for a moment, Lieutenant Archer.”

“We’ll be waiting for you here, Captain,” Reed told her.

She nodded at the reassurance of his voice, then quickly walked a good distance away on the catwalk. You’ve only met the man, Hoshi, she thought. Get a grip on yourself. “All right, put him through, Jon.”

“Hoshi?” came Matt Hayes’s voice. “Got a change of orders. We’re heading to Andoria. Seems like the Powers that Be have scrubbed any chance of Enterprise and Columbia doing any joint missions anytime soon.”

“Damn,” Hoshi replied, putting just enough emphasis on the word. “Wonder what’s going on.”

“I dunno. Not exactly what I was expecting for a first mission. Instead of exploring the universe, we’re doing courier service for an Andorian delegation.”

She decided to change the subject. “Did you pick up your remaining crew?”

Hayes sounded irritated. “Yeah, and my first officer’s somethin’ else. He’s a nice guy, just...rather bland. Like my chef’s oatmeal. Commander Daniels might as well be a Vulcan, for all the emotion he shows.”

She stifled her laughter. “Not so loud, Matt. I’m on Vulcan and they’ve got pretty good hearing.”

“Oh, sorry.” He didn’t sound sorry, though. “Anyway, keep an eye out for weird things going on. I’ve got the feeling there’s something somebody’s not telling us.”

“I’ll do that, Matt. Right now I’ve got to brief T’Pol and Malcolm on their new duties.”

“Who’s Malcolm?”

Hoshi sighed inwardly at the sharpness of Matt’s voice. I’m already referring to my Chief Medical Officer by name. Not good. “Doctor Malcolm Reed, my new CMO. He’s just coming in from the Vulcan Medical Academy. I've got my new helmswoman too, her name is T'Pol. Anyway, you take care, Matt. I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Don’t get into too much trouble. Hayes, out.”

She snapped her communicator shut. Matt’s got a point. What is going on? Columbia’s ferrying Andorians and Enterprise is bussing a group of Vulcans to a dig site. I’m sure this isn’t exactly what Max Forrest had in mind when he pushed for the Warp Five program.

Hoshi shook her head. She had her orders and she was going to follow them to the letter, but it wouldn’t hurt to keep an eye out, just in case. Hoshi glanced over to see T’Pol. The Vulcan raised her eyebrows as if saying, I would like to speak with you, Captain, in private. Hoshi nodded in wordless affirmation, then T’Pol turned her attention back to her mother.

“Not that weird things are already going on,” Hoshi muttered to herself as she made her way back to Reed and the Vulcans. The doctor gave her a look of sympathy and inexplicably, she felt a little better.

I think it’d be a good idea to keep him and Matt apart for as long as possible. I’ve got the bad feeling that when they do meet, an exploding supernova will seem tame.


Back to Part 4
Continue to Part 6

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.