Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Batty Engineer"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Pairings: TnT and Hayes/Sato
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Phlox discovers the source of the equipment problems on board Enterprise and it’s not limited just to Enterprise. You see Captain Hayes again, as well as Commander Opur, Hayes’s Raquillian Engineering Chief, plus Admiral Henry Archer and Commander A.G. Robinson.

Oh, and if the name “Jane Taylor” sounds familiar, she was the young engineer who was killed in the Expanse and Jon Archer asked Trip to write the condolence letter to her parents (and Trip had difficulty doing so because he kept thinking about Lizzie).

And speaking of names, the bat finally gets his. (Thanks, Begoogled!) :)

Next chapter’s the last in this story, and we’ll see the Pyrithian Rangers again. The next story will be a bit of a change of pace...we join Columbia’s crew for what might be Hayes’s last (?) mission...and you’ll find out (finally) just what the heck he did to earn Shran’s eternal gratitude.

Please R&R...even if you haven’t reviewed before. I’d like to hear what you all think. Thanks much! :)

Thanks, Pesterfield!


Nine

“You mean to tell me that it’s something to do with the software?”

Phlox nodded wearily and touched his screen. Jon Archer and Trip Tucker crowded behind him and watched silently as the engineer highlighted the pertinent code. “Quite ingenious, gentlemen. There is nothing wrong with the hardware, with the engine components themselves. Yet their programming is faulty.”

Jon bit his lip. He had some rudimentary training as an engineer at his father’s side, but Trip knew more than he did. “Hidden programming?”

“Some of it, but not all of it. I am surprised it passed inspection, but considering we were rushed into launching...there may be issues that didn’t manifest themselves until the actual implementation.”

Trip nodded and said, “Yeah, you didn’t know until you activated the subroutines once we cleared the Sol system.”

“This is disturbing, gentlemen. We may need to report to Jupiter Station for a complete computer overhaul.”

Jon sighed and shook his head. “That means aborting our current mission.”

Phlox gave him a steely look. “We depend on the ship’s computers, Lieutenant. Personally, I cannot condone putting the entire crew at risk.”

“I’m not disagreeing with you, Phlox. I’m just thinking about how Hoshi—Captain Sato—will react to this.”

“I will inform the captain myself.” Phlox’s expression was grim. “And another thing—if we are having problems, we must inform Columbia as soon as possible.”

“I’ll make it a priority,” Jon said. “Captain Hayes left Spacedock before we did. They might be stuck with the same faulty programming.”

“And I’ll take a closer look at the Armory computers,” Trip said, his usual cheerful drawl completely absent. “Just to be safe.”

Phlox nodded and the three men went their separate ways. The bat made a questioning noise and Phlox automatically extended his arm. The bat landed on it and accompanied Phlox up to the Bridge. Commander Mayweather occupied the center chair; he read Phlox’s expression, then quietly told Lieutenant Ellen Varianis to take over.

“Mind if I join you?”

“Of course not, Commander.” Phlox rang the chime and heard her voice inviting them into the Ready Room. Phlox took a deep breath, squared his shoulders and walked inside, Travis right behind him. He stopped short when Hoshi raised her hand; she was talking to someone on her screen.

“Hold on, Phlox and Travis just walked in.” She smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes. “Good timing, gentlemen. I have Captain Hayes and Commander Opur on the line. They’ve been having similar issues with Columbia’s systems and...well, I’ll let them explain. Matt?”

Hayes nodded at Phlox. “Jon Archer gave us a heads up on what you’ve discovered, Phlox. We’ve been having some problems, mostly concerning our warp drive. Ever since we launched, it’s been running rough. Some of the Raquillians took a closer look at it and couldn’t find anything wrong.”

“It’s a series of subroutines in the engineering protocols,” Phlox said, then launched into a complex conversation with Opur. The Raquillian replied in the same language. Travis and Hoshi exchanged looks of mixed amusement and concern.

“At least Phlox can understand him when he gets technical,” Matt Hayes chuckled and spread his hands. “Way above my head. Hoshi, what’s with the bat on your desk? Got a pet?”

Hoshi smiled at the bat, sitting there and surveying Matt with a look of suspicion. “Not mine. It’s Phlox’s. He attached himself to Phlox when we were on Pyrithia., It’s a long story, but I’m proud to consider him one of the crew.”

“Like Porthos? Hoshi, you’re starting a trend. Opur wants to bring his fish on board.”

“Fish? You mean the piranha? Where will he put them? Engineering?”

“Nate Kemper thinks they’ll detract any onboard intruders from messing with the warp assembly.”

Travis laughed and shook his head. “That’s assuming they won’t gobble up the wiring first, sir.”

“That’s what I told Kemper. I said that it’d be really bad if they decided to chew on the warheads of the Mark II torpedoes. Nate agreed with me there.” Hayes laughed, then sobered. “Opur’s been running his crew through some drills...got some issues we still gotta iron out, but I’m sure we’ll get things running smoothly again.”

Phlox heard that and gave Hayes a sideways glance. The captain spotted it and gave him a slight nod. The Denobulan thought, So he has found who is responsible for the mechanical problems on board Columbia. Someone on Opur’s engineering staff...The thought was highly disturbing; Phlox thought about his own staff: Hess, Rostov, Kelby, Massaro. Were any of them responsible for the similar problems plaguing Enterprise? He couldn’t believe it, but then again, Phlox knew that he and his crew should have detected the problems earlier. The fact that they hadn’t meant someone was covertly trying to keep them from discovering the malfunctions until it was too late.

“Commander Opur, do you believe we should return to Jupiter Station to repair the problems?” Phlox asked aloud.

The Raquillian inclined his head a full ninety degrees, which sickened anyone who wasn’t used to seeing it. Opur, like most of his species, had joints in the most unlikely of places. “I would strongly recommend so. It is dangerous to continue the mission under such circumstances. Not only our safety, but our security is compromised. I have sent a Priority One message to Admiral Archer and Commander Robinson and I am awaiting their answer.”

Phlox nodded. “I am scheduled to talk to Ambrosius this afternoon, so I will also inform him about our own issues.”

“That would be wise. Please inform me of what A.G. says.”

“I will certainly do so—“ The chime of the intercom interrupted him. Hoshi answered the page, and Jon’s voice came over the speaker.

“Commander Phlox, I have Commander Robinson on the line. He says it’s urgent and he’s requesting a three-way comm with Commander Opur through Columbia’s Engineering. Lieutenant Taylor’s routing the channel through her board on Columbia.””

Opur nodded as well. “With the captains’ permission, I will return to Engineering for this discussion. Tell Jane to hold the line until I get there.”

Phlox sighed and said, “Lieutenant Archer, will you also page Lieutenant Commander Tucker, and see if Ensign T’Pol is available?”

“I’ll let them know. Archer, out.”

Travis frowned and said, “I’ll continue my investigation on the radan issue, Captain. The Rangers on Pyrithia have relayed some information that may shed some light on it.”

“Go.” Hoshi waved them off. “I need to discuss other matters with my husband.”

Phlox hid a smile. Like Denobulans, Hoshi’s use of language made it clear whenever public business was over, and now she wanted to converse with Hayes in a non-Starfleet capacity. “Certainly, Captain. Come, Sebastian.”

The bat chittered and launched himself from desk, finally settling back on Phlox’s shoulder. As the Denobulan left the Ready Room, he heard Hayes distinctly ask, “Sebastian? Wasn’t that the name of a cartoon character in an old Disney film?”

Hoshi chuckled and said, before the Ready Room doors closed, “Actually, I like the name, Matt. It fits.”


The conversation with A.G. Robinson was mixed, to say the least. Phlox noticed that his manner was more formal, more tense, than it had been just a week ago. Not that anyone could blame him, for sitting directly next to him was Admiral Henry Archer himself, and the older man’s eyes were hard green emeralds. Sebastian actually shifted uncomfortably on his perch in Phlox’s office. Phlox absently took a blood fly from the pile on his desk and threw it in the bat’s direction.

“I’ve talked with Admirals Forrest and Gardner, and they both expressed their frustration and disappointment with this turn of events,” A.G. said. “Commander Opur, both Admiral Forrest and I concur with your assessment. We’re drafting orders for Columbia to return to Earth as soon as possible.”

Opur bowed his head. “My gratitude, Admiral.”

“When you arrive at Jupiter Station, I will personally oversee the replacement of the Engineering computer core,” added Archer. “I have also asked an independent consultant to examine the code in the Armory computers as well. Needless to say, I’m not satisfied to just leave it to Starfleet Engineering...I want to see every piece of equipment and every piece of code that goes into Columbia, and Enterprise as well.”

“Sir.” Phlox frowned at the deep lines around Archer’s eyes and mouth, and judging from Trip’s tone of voice, the Armory officer was just as concerned. “How long will that take? It must be at least a few months...”

“We’ll pull quadruple shifts if we need to, Lieutenant Commander. Admiral Gardner is correct when he says that we cannot afford to pull both ships off the front line at the same time. This time, Columbia will get the correct upgrades that I’ve been insisting on since the beginning, and we’ll do it right, damn it.”

Phlox blinked at the obscenity coming from Archer’s lips. This was more serious than even he’d imagined. He wondered if Jon Archer knew about his father’s political struggles in Engineering R&D. This cannot be good for the admiral’s health. I know Archer’s been having some issues with that in the past few months. I can see from whom Jonathan gets his dedication and stubbornness.

Opur, as a Raquillian, had more trouble gauging a Human’s expressions, but even he felt Archer’s fury. “Admiral Archer, you will have me and my staff at your disposal immediately upon arrival at Jupiter Station. Some of my fellow brother-engineers are enroute to Earth as well to offer assistance.”

“As well as some Vulcan engineers,” added T’Pol, who had been silent till now, but her amber-gold eyes flashed. “I also have contacts in the Vulcan Space and Ship Ministry that are...distressed at the technological shortcomings in both Vulcan and Terran ships.”

A.G. gave her a little bow. “Thank you, Ensign. We’re gonna need all the help we can get, and unlike some higher-ups I know, I’m not shy to accept help when I know I really need it.”

Archer nodded and said, “My thanks as well, T’Pol. Commander Opur, contact me when Columbia is close to the Sol system and we’ll revise our timetable. Commander Phlox, we’ll be in touch. Starfleet R&D, out.” His and Robinson’s images winked out.

“I will also keep you informed,” said Opur. “There is more to this than meets the eye. Columbia, out.” Then he was gone as well.

Phlox sighed and rubbed his cranial ridge. “I don’t like this, but it sounds like we will have to deal with the malfunctions until Columbia is refitted yet again and we are recalled.”

Trip frowned, but had to agree. T’Pol’s features were carefully neutral, but Phlox could see the gears turning in her head. “Commander, I may be able to do a little more...allow me twelve hours and I will see if it is feasible.”

Trip blinked, then stared at her. “No. You’re not thinkin’ about it, are you? I thought you wanted to distance yourself from them.”

“From whom?” Phlox asked, confused.

“My...intended groom’s father, Soultek...his sister T’Jal is on the Vulcan Ship and Space Ministry’s Executive Board. She is responsible for new designs...rather like Admiral Archer and Commander Robinson are for Starfleet. Perhaps she may be able to assist us.”

“T’Pol, isn’t she as ruthlessly picky as V’Lar or T’Pau? Would she be willing to help us?”

“There are always...possibilities, Trip. I will talk to her.” The corners of her mouth turned up in a shadow of a smile. “I will return shortly, Commander Phlox.” And she glided out of Engineering.

Phlox stared after her. Not only had she called Tucker by “Trip”, but she had surprised him by her penchant for politics. “She is full of surprises, is she not, Charles?”

“Full of surprises? Hell, sometimes she downright scares me.”


Back to Part 8
Continue to Part 10

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.