Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Needs of the Many"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG13
Pairings: Hayes/Sato, TnT
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: This chapter ties up some of the current plotlines: TnT coming together; Malcolm, T’Vau, and V’Niess finding a key clue to the modified virus; and who the would-be saboteur on Enterprise really is. Hoshi and the others receive the news from Captain Hernandez about Columbia’s plight.

The next chapter catches us up with the events of “Blue Tears”. Some of it will sound familiar if you read that story, but there is new material as well, from the E Crew’s point of view.

Please R&R! I’d like to see some reviews! I’d really like to hear my readers’ opinions about the storylines. Thanks!


Ten

“I am needed. To argue is an unproductive use of time and energy.”

“T’Pol.” T’Les tried to hide her unease, but was not successful. “The order from the Vulcan High Council states that all Vulcan personnel be recalled—“

T’Pol speared her with a withering glance. “That order was made by Shomek, while he was High Minister,” she pointed out. “Shomek is no longer in control of the VHC, Mother. I have petitioned T’Pau, and she agrees that my presence on board Enterprise is crucial.” T’Les opened her mouth to protest again, but T’Pol added, “T’Pau needs a Vulcan observer she can trust to report on the situation. I am the logical choice.”

T’Les said nothing; her daughter’s logic was impeccable, but she detected a thread of guilt within T’Pol’s tone. Did T’Pol blame herself for V’Lar’s decline? Guilt, while illogical, was a powerful emotion. She refrained from pointing that out, for T’Pol was not in any state to hear it. And she is not the only one who feels so. We all share that burden.

Instead, she nodded and said, “Then you must go back, my daughter. Please...take great care of yourself. And—“

She glanced over her shoulder as T’Les hesitated. “Mother?”

“And take care of your thy’la as well.” T’Les managed a slight smile, and T’Pol rejoiced at how genuine it was. “Give—Trip–my regards, T’Pol. I am gratified that neither of you will be alone.”

A weight of worry rolled off T’Pol’s shoulders. She crossed her arms at the wrists and offered her palms to her mother in the traditional gesture. T’Les did the same and touched her palms to T’Pol’s, and the familial warmth poured between them. T’Pol felt T’Les’s relief and happiness; her mouth twitched as she read the thought that her mother would never say aloud: Finally.

“Live long and prosper, Mother,” she said. “Until we meet again.”

“Until then, my daughter, live long and prosper.”

T’Pol nodded, then flipped open her communicator. “Enterprise, one to beam up.” T’Les watched as the transporter beam swept her away, and she whispered an ancient blessing, “May your journey be fruitful, may you return in due time with enlightenment.”


V’Niess pointed at the scan of V’Lar’s nervous system with a trembling hand. Despite her best efforts, she couldn’t contain her joy and excitement. “There, Doctor T’Vau! That sequence of proteins—“

T’Vau nodded, her face serene, although her eyes mirrored the younger woman’s emotions. “Isolate and analyze, V’Niess. This is your area of expertise.”

V’Niess’s long fingers manipulated her instruments. Long moments passed before she said, “It’s a positive match with the scan from Minister Soultek. The same basic chemical composition...it also matches the protein coat that surrounds the modified virus—“

“The one that dissolves after a certain amount of time and allows the buggers to run loose in the host’s system,” finished Malcolm. His eyes lit up with fierce determination. “Doctor Arroyo will be gratified to hear that her supposition is correct.”

“It will need more analysis,” V’Niess admitted, “but it may be a key element in formulating a counter-agent, Doctor Reed.” She switched screens and pointed at the important factors. “This is the common element that both Koss and his father possessed while under the influence of the virus. It is a mutation of the one affecting V’Lar, but it is still identifiable as such. There seems to be a genetic disposition among the victims that influences the severity of symptoms—“

Malcolm raised his eyebrows. “A certain gene?”

“According to Doctor Vorstok—“ V’Niess referred to the Medical Academy’s top geneticist“it seems to run along collateral branches of certain clans.”

“Genetically engineered,” Malcolm said flatly.

“It looks that way, Doctor Reed,” V’Niess said. “This was no accident. Whoever designed this knew exactly whom to target and how.”

“Which clans seem to be affected?” T’Vau asked. Again, V’Niess brought up the pertinent information, and T’Vau’s eyes widened in surprise. “In Surak’s name—“

Malcolm could only think about the time and effort that must have been spent on this endeavor. It had to have taken decades, an army of geneticists and immunologists, and many clandestine thefts of genetic material from the intended victims. He shook his head as he guessed the mastermind: T’Marui. Her influence had not only shaken up Vulcan society; it had left it wide open for invasion.

“We must alert those who are in the most danger,” he said, “for whom the threat of madness is highest.”

“Agreed.” T’Vau’s face hardened. “This raises some disturbing implications, not in the least the security measures here at the Medical Academy. This constitutes an unforgivable breach. I will launch an immediate investigation.”

“If you require any assistance, I’m willing to help, T’Vau.”

“Thank you, Doctor Reed. Once Enterprise reaches Columbia, I would appreciate it if Doctor Arroyo contacts me as soon as she is able.”

“I’ll let Rosie know.” The reminder of Columbia brought thoughts of Hoshi Sato, thoughts he would rather forget. She had comforted him in his time of weakness and he’d felt the rightness, the pure joy of her touch. Malcolm berated himself, for he had no right to feel that way about her. She was married, for God’s sake, and her husband was in combat...

Don’t envy Captain Hayes in the short time he has left. Silik’s words came back to him, echoing and re-echoing in his mind. This time, Malcolm felt a cold chill overcome him and the sudden certainty that Hayes was in mortal danger...

The piercing whine of his communicator cut through the silence of the room. He snatched it from his belt and said, “Reed here.”

“Malcolm,” said Travis Mayweather. The first officer’s use of his first name told Malcolm that something had happened. “I’m recalling all personnel back to Enterprise. Code Priority One.”

“Acknowledged, Commander Mayweather. Stand by for immediate beam-up,” Malcolm replied crisply. “Reed out.” He glanced at T’Vau and said, “My apologies—“

T’Vau shook her head and answered, “Go, Malcolm. Your ship and your captain needs you. We will finish our mission here.”

“Thank you, T’Vau, V’Niess.” He tapped his communicator. “One to beam up, Enterprise.”

His surroundings phased out of existence to be replaced by the transporter room. He nodded at Chief Grant Raymer, who nodded back. Raymer inclined his head to his right; Captain Sato and T’Pol stood together around a PADD that Hoshi held in her hands. The expression on her face brought him to her side.

“Captain? What is wrong?”

Hoshi said nothing, but only handed him the PADD. Malcolm read the words on it and his heart stopped. It was from Captain Erika Hernandez on the Devonshire, one of the ships in Columbia’s task force. Hernandez had written: “Columbia’‘s engineering section severely damaged in combat. Request immediate assistance from Starfleet. E.L. Hernandez, Devonshire.”

Hoshi turned away from him and walked to the com panel on the wall. “Sato to Bridge. Has all personnel reported back to the ship?”

“Affirmative, Captain. Shuttlebay Three just finished its re-compression cycle and Shuttlepod Two is aboard. That’s everyone,” replied Travis.

“Set a course for Paan Mokar, Travis. Maximum warp.”

There was a pause, then Phlox’s voice said in the background, “I can give you warp four point eight right now, Captain, but I’ll try to increase the speed.”

“Do what you can, Phlox. I’m coming up to the Bridge. Sato, out.” She jabbed the button hard enough to be audible. She glanced at Malcolm and T’Pol. “Stations, please.”

“Yes, Captain.” Malcolm nodded, then headed to Sickbay, before the fear in her eyes overwhelmed him.


Lieutenant Kelby stood at the warp drive status board as Enterprise reached Warp four point three. He frowned at the readings and made adjustments. He felt a presence behind him and glanced over his shoulder. “Anna,” he ackowledged.

Lieutenant Hess scowled at the results. “This is based on Admiral Archer’s new design. We should be able to make at least five point five.”

“I know, but if we go above four point five, we get serious feedback readings, Anna,” Kelby said, with a hint of frustration. “The safety measures kick in and scale us back down to a safer speed.”

“Can you show me those feedback readings, Richard?”

He nodded, then signaled the Bridge. “Kelby to Bridge.”

Ensign T’Pol answered. “Increasing speed to warp four point five-five, Lieutenant.”

“Go ahead, Ensign, nice and slow. Be ready to ease back if we get those readings again.”

“Acknowledged.”

Kelby and Hess watched as she increased warp speed. As soon as the engines reached warp four point five-five, the resonance frequencies jumped exponentially. Kelby hit the comm. “Abort warp increase, Ensign.”

“Acknowledged. Aborting.” T’Pol dropped speed, and the engine fluctuations ceased. Kelby shook his head in frustration again as Hess analyzed the new information.

Phlox came up behind them. “Any new analyses, Lieutenants?”

Hess frowned as she tapped her screen. “The safety codes are making sure we don’t go too fast, but they’re taking longer to kick in. Eventually, they won’t work at all and when that happens—“

“We’ll blow up,” Kelby said brusquely.

Phlox stroked his chin in a contemplative manner. “Wake up Ensign Pryor and Crewman Jaroski,” he said. “Tell Pryor that the problem is getting more serious, and if he’s available to assist, we would appreciate it.”

“Yes, Chief.” As Hess paged Pryor, Phlox said as an aside, “Richard, fetch Lieutenant Trace from the Armory.” Kelby nodded and went to do so.


Ten minutes later, Hess returned with Pryor, and Jaroski in tow. Phlox nodded at Pryor and updated him on the situation. Pryor seemed concerned at Hess’s conclusion that the safety features had degraded further; he wanted to work on it right away. Phlox waved him to the console and left him and Jaroski to their work.

Pryor glanced at Jaroski and told him, “Keep an eye on the warp fluctuation, Olaf. If it varies by point five either way, yell.”

“Yes, Ensign.” As Jaroski was distracted by the warp readings, Pryor accessed the computer software and surveyed the code. Hess was right; the deterioration of his safety measures was spiraling out of control and if he didn’t shore it up immediately—

His hands flew across the keyboard, adjusting values here, changing parameters there. A bead of sweat slid down his forehead and down his left cheek. This was getting close, too close...he , didn’t believe that his employers meant to harm the crew...after all, the crew was Human, with the exception of Commander Phlox and Ensign T’Pol. All they wanted to do was to discount the non-Terran technology that Admiral Archer had incorporated into the starship upgrades. After all, the Vulcans, the Andorians and the Denobulans wanted compensation for sharing their technology, concessions that put Earth at a disadvantage...

If they could make it look as if the non-Humans had sabotaged Enterprise and Columbia, then it could just be the final push into dissolving relations between Earth and the other alien worlds...

Then Pryor had a disturbing thought: What if a malfunction of the safeties caused Columbia’s explosion? He assumed, like many people who had heard the news, that Columbia had been attacked by the Andorian/Vulcan defense net. If that was the case, then certainly the Andorians and the Vulcans would be blamed for any damage or deaths. He shook off the sense of foreboding.

Just for a little bit longer, he thought at the computer. Just a little longer...

A hand dropped on his shoulder, startling him enough to jerk in his seat. He whirled around, but found himself at the business end of a phase pistol. Lieutenant Bryan Trace stood directly behind him, with Lieutenant Commander Tucker only a few feet away. Terrified, he jumped to his feet and reached for the small, concealed blaster in his jumpsuit pocket—

--only to feel a hard fist collide with his jaw. Pryor caught a glimpse of his attacker’s face before darkness overwhelmed him. Oddly enough, he felt nothing but a sense of relief, of freedom, that lifted a burden off his conscience.

“Stand and desist, Mister Kelby,” Phlox told him.

Kelby glowered at the unconscious form on the deck. He made a supreme effort to step away from Pryor and stiffly put his hands behind his back. “Yes, sir.”

“Good job, Richard, Bryan,” Trip said, his voice quiet. “Olaf—“

“Already on it, sir,” said Jaroski, who’d slipped into the seat that Pryor had fallen out of. Phlox and Kelby crowded around him, while Anna Hess took Jaroski’s place at the warp engine status board.

Trip and Bryan hauled Pryor’s unresisting body out of Engineering; Trip saw Kelby look over at him and the engineer mouthed, “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Richard,” Trip said quietly, as he and Bryan left the engineers to their job. Trip felt a twinge of envy, but he firmly suppressed it. He had his job and Kelby and the others had theirs. If Phlox needed his help, then Phlox would ask for it.


Back to Part 9
Continue to Part 11

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.