Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Needs of the Many"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG13
Pairings: Hayes/Sato, TnT
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: V’Lar’s sacrifice has far reaching consequences. Who will take control of the Vulcan High Council and the VHC? And Hoshi helps Malcolm come to terms with what happened.

A Switcheroo guest in this chapter and Trip meets an unexpected ally.

Please R&R! I’d like to see some reviews! I’d really like to hear my readers’ opinions about the storylines. Thanks!


Nine

The chaos broke into the Security and Tactical Room with all the force of a desert sand storm. T’Pau and Hoshi rushed into the meeting chamber to see Soultek on the floor, his eyes staring at the ceiling, already glazing over. His face was leached of all color until he was as pale as an Aenar. Hoshi shuddered at the blank expression.

“What happened?” T’Pau demanded.

“Unknown, Minister,” replied a First Rating, but the man’s voice couldn’t hide a slight tremble. “He screamed some words about his son and collapsed. We have alerted the Medical Academy—“

T’Pau frowned and knelt next to Soultek, placing both hands on his forehead. “He is burning with fever. Something has happened to his son and he feels the effects of it. Locate Koss and Minister Shomek at once!”

The First Rating saluted and hastened out of the room. Then a voice called out, “Captain Sato!”

Hoshi whirled around, nearly losing her headset in the process. She reached out to steady it before it went flying. “Minister V’Las.”

“Intelligence from our remote probes, Captain,” V’Las replied. T’Pau’s right-hand man pushed a button on his PADD and a moment later, the tactical table’s screen flashed with updated information. “It appears that your Starfleet task force has arrived at Paan Mokar and is disrupting the security network around the planetoid.”

Hoshi thought she heard a note of censure in the now-former assistant Security Minister’s voice. Unfortunately, with Shomek’s takeover of the Vulcan High Command and the High Council, T’Pau and V’Las had been relegated to the sidelines. If Hoshi had been in their places, she would be seething under the placid exterior. V’Las’s features were calm, but that rage burned in his eyes, so hot that Hoshi was reluctant to look at him directly.

“Looks like they’re just barely keeping up,” Hoshi murmured. “Your net has backups on top of the backups. No wonder Paan Mokar has been so well protected for so long.”

V’Las raised his eyebrow. “After you have had protracted conflict with the Andorians, you cannot leave anything to...chance. We have expanded and improved the original design.”

Hoshi grunted in agreement. Yes, they had improved on the Andorian design...and that lethal network was a major obstacle in Columbia’s mission to rescue Lady Jhamel and her daughter. The surface scans were murky enough that T’Pau and the rest of the Security Council were reluctant to entertain the idea that there were possible Vulcan personnel on Paan Mokar. The planetoid was automated; therefore, logic dictated there should be no sign of life on its surface.

Logic’s only as good as the logician, Hoshi thought with a hint of bitterness. If there is conflicting information, would the logician simply ignore it because it doesn’t fit the theory? She didn’t envy Jon Archer, who was now with Soval in front of the High Council, urging restraint and caution in this conflict.

Her comlink chirped. “Captain, this is Commander Mayweather.”

“Go ahead, Travis.”

“You have a transmission from Starfleet, For Your Eyes Only, Priority One.”

She stifled several Vulcan curses; that meant the situation had become bad, very bad on Earth. “Hold on, Travis—“

T’Pau got up from Soultek’s side as the medical team arrived to take care of him. She inclined her head at Hoshi and said quietly, “You may use my secured com channel, Captain.” At Hoshi’s raised eyebrow, she added, “I can ensure that the others do not overhear. I know that trust between our people is not high at the moment, but at least I can do this.”

“I appreciate it, Minister.”

T’Pau and V’Las exchanged glances. “Keep observing the situation until I return, V’Las.”

“As you wish, Lady T’Pau,” he replied, and he returned to the situation table, in complete calm and control. Hoshi thought that V’Las’s emotional control was remarkable, considering the circumstances. Nothing escaped his attention and no one escaped his wrath...or his approval. In many ways, V’Las was as formidable as T’Pau herself.

Hoshi followed T’Pau into a communications alcove and keyed into one of the computers. The screen lit up with the logo of the Security Ministry, but as T’Pau activated the link, it dissolved into one that Hoshi didn’t immediately recognize, then it hit her. The sigil on the screen represented T’Pau’s clan, a collateral one of T’Pol’s, T’Les’s and Soval’s.

“It will not last for long, so please make it as brief as you can,” T’Pau said.

“Thank you, T’Pau,” Hoshi answered with genuine frankness. “I will not betray your trust.”

“As I yours,” the minister replied in the traditional manner. T’Pau bowed slightly, then left her alone.

Hoshi tapped the link. “Put it through to this terminal, Travis.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

The screen lit up with the image of Admiral Maxwell Forrest. Hoshi’s mentor looked exhausted and worn, but still firmly in command. “Captain, situation report.” She gave him a short but comprehensive report of what had happened so far. When she was done, Forrest only nodded. “Starfleet Command has new orders for Enterprise, Hoshi. You are to break Vulcan orbit and go assist Columbia and the task force at your best possible speed.”

She sighed and closed her eyes in relief. “Yes, sir.”

“We’ve been informed that Shomek’s government might not be as inclined to be friendly to Earth,” Forrest went on, his voice calm but his face sorrowful, “and they’ve recalled all Vulcan personnel from the Consulate here in San Francisco. They’ve also requested that all Vulcan Starfleet personnel return to the home planet.”

“Ensign T’Pol,” Hoshi said. “She’ll have to stay behind, then.”

“I’m sorry, Hoshi, but unfortunately, there isn’t much we can do. The Earth Council’s been adamant in staying neutral in this conflict, despite Columbia’s assisting the Andorians. They’ve made it clear that Matt’s involvement is to prevent a diplomatic incident, and that he doesn’t necessarily represent the official view of Earth.”

“In other words, the Earth Council won’t acknowledge or endorse Columbia’s mission.” Hoshi said, with a shake of her head. “They want to keep their own hands clean.”

“It’s a volatile situation, Hoshi. If we were to lose diplomatic relations with either the Andorians or the Vulcans, I think the Council would much rather be in the Vulcans’ good graces. I don’t necessarily agree on picking and choosing with allies to keep and which ones to let go, especially in this matter, but—“ Forrest shrugged. “If Matt pulls this off, we might still be able to maintain at least some relations with Andoria.”

She sighed. “I wouldn’t want the Andorians as an enemy, Max, but—Enterprise will get under way as soon as possible.”

“Thank you, Captain.” Forrest’s return to formality indicated that the conversation was over. “Godspeed. Starfleet Command, out.”

Hoshi switched frequencies. “Travis, recall all our personnel from Vulcan’s surface. We’ve gotten orders to assist Columbia.”

“Yes, ma’am. I’ll see you when you get up here. Mayweather, out.”

Hoshi terminated the connection and was about to get up from her seat when Doctor T’Vau’s voice echoed from the wall comm. “T’Vau to Captain Sato. Captain, if you can be spared, please come to the Medical Academy. Your presence is needed.” She felt a chill at T’Vau’s words...had something happened to V’Lar? To T’Pol?

“Sato. I’m on my way.”


The walkway from the Security Ministry to the Medical Academy seemed doubly long to Hoshi as she sprinted down the path. Vulcans walking in the other direction got out her way with grace; one woman gave Hoshi a look of sympathy as Hoshi dashed past her. The view of Shi’Kahr from the connected system of bridges was amazing, but Hoshi didn’t see it. When she reached the portal to the Medical Academy, a resident in a green tunic stopped her.

“Captain Sato? I am V’Niess. Please come with me, quickly.”

“What’s happened?”

V’Niess gave her a brief, but concise summary of what had happened. Hoshi swallowed hard as she imagined the furious battle between V’Lar and Koss and the aftereffects on T’Pol, Trip and Malcolm. Koss and his father’s treachery had been revealed and would be dealt with, but at what cost?

“High Minister V’Lar’s condition has stabilized for the moment, but we will not know the true extent of the damage until she regains consciousness.” Hoshi heard the underlying sorrow under the young intern’s tone and the unspoken words: If she regains consciousness at all.

V’Niess keyed her personal code into a security pad in the wall and the door next to it opened wide. Hoshi went into the restricted-access chamber to see Malcolm sitting up in a biobed, his head in his hands, his shoulders slumped. She immediately went to his side and put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

“Malcolm?”

He started in surprise and nearly fell off the biobed, but Hoshi and V’Niess steadied him. “Hoshi. Did V’Niess tell you what has happened to V’Lar?”

She nodded in sympathy. “She did. I’m sorry, Malcolm. You did all you could—“

“It wasn’t enough. I felt her die, Hoshi. Her body lives, but I felt her die.”

She didn’t know what to say; although she had seen others die before, she didn’t feel it like Malcolm did. As a doctor, Malcolm took it to heart, replaying the incident and wondering what he could have done differently to save the patient. With time, he would be able to re-focus on the living, but this time...

So she didn’t say anything, but only drew him into her arms and hugged him. He didn’t seem to notice her presence at first, but then she felt the shudders through his body as he cried silently and without abandon. Her heart ached for him, for he felt things so deeply...perhaps too deeply.

Hoshi didn’t notice V’Niess or T’Vau at the observation portal, or the strange expression that passed between the two Vulcans at the sight. All that mattered was that a friend was hurting and she wished she could ease his pain as he’d eased the pain of so many others.


When Trip opened his eyes, he found himself lying on a biobed, and not on a granite slab. He turned his head to see another hand within his. T’Pol’s. Her eyes were still closed, but he could feel her presence in his mind, safely asleep. He just watched her for a few moments and marveled at the sense of peace over her features.

“Lieutenant Commander Tucker? How are you feeling?”

He blinked up at the Vulcan doctor above him. That’s a strange question coming from a Vulcan. Then, as he studied the doctor’s face, he realized why the man seemed familiar. “You’re related to Doctor Kov, aren’ t you?” Trip winced and mentally kicked himself at the rudeness.

The doctor didn’t seem to take offense. “I am Doctor Spelak, and yes, I am Kov’s fraternal twin brother.” A shadow of a smile passed over Spelak’s lips. “You have seen my brother? Is he well?”

Trip nodded and replied, “He was well, the last time I saw him. You’d be proud of him; he’s in charge of Sickbay on a Vulcan destroyer.”

Spelak sighed as he passed a scanner over Trip, then T’Pol, and he kept a steady patter as he did so. “I am glad to hear of it. I am the only one who is still concerned about his welfare, Lieutenant Commander. The rest of my family has disowned him.”

“Because he’s V’tosh Ka’tur?”

He nodded. “My father pretends Kov no longer lives. It is a pity for the entire clan, for Kov is the elder brother, and he was the first to become a doctor.” Spelak raised his eyebrow. “Doctor Reed is fond of saying that a balance of empathy and logic is crucial for our profession. He is right.”

Trip smiled. “How ‘bout I give your regards to him next time I see him? I’m sure he’d be thrilled to hear from you, Doctor Spelak.”

“If you would do so, I would be highly appreciative.” Spelak glanced at his scanner. “Your constitution is amazing, Lieutenant Commander—“

“Call me Trip. Kov does.”

Spelak nodded at the correction. “Trip. You show no mental trauma whatsoever, though it seems that the hippocampus of your brain is more active by at least two percent. I have heard that some Humans do have psychic abilities in potential...it would be fascinating to examine such a case...” At Trip’s nonplussed expression, Spelak had the grace to look embarrassed. “Forgive me...neuroexobiology is my specialty. I tend to voice the possibilities before examining their logic.”

“That’s all right.” Trip was hard put not to laugh. A Vulcan who admits to putting his foot in his mouth? That’s a new one. “Speaking of...is Doctor Reed all right? And T’Pol, T’Les and V’Lar?” Trip knew that T’Pol was all right; if she wasn’t, he would have known it. Still, he wanted to hear verbal reassurance of her health.

Spelak sobered considerably as he followed Trip’s glance at T’Pol. “T’Pol and T’Les are both in healing trances. Unfortunately, V’Lar...her outcome was not as fortunate. No, she isn’t dead, not in the biological sense, but she...will never regain the sense of self she had before.”

Trip swallowed hard. “You mean—“

“The Priestesses of Mount Seleya have a saying, that those afflicted are ‘the ones who walk between worlds’. V’Lar has become one of them.”

“Oh my God.” The news punched a hole in Trip’s gut. “Then what’s gonna happen with the Vulcan High Council and the Vulcan High Command?”

“Unknown, though it seems that Minister Shomek will not hold power for too much longer. There is no precedent for a situation like this, but if I could be permitted to speculate—“

“Go ahead.”

“—I believe that the position of High Minister would fall to T’Pau, as she is next in the succession, and Assistant Minister V’Las would become Security Minister.”

“I’ve heard of V’Las. He’s as dispassionate and as objective as they come.”

“Indeed.” If a Vulcan could sound self-satisfied, then Spelak did at that moment. “As for Doctor Reed...he has taken V’Lar’s mind-death close to his heart and is quite upset. I understand Doctor T’Vau called Captain Sato from the Security Ministry to comfort him.”

“T’Vau called Hoshi to comfort Malcolm?” Trip blurted out. He recovered quickly by saying, “Well, the Cap’n’s pretty empathic with the members of her crew. I think T’Vau called the right person to help him—“

“T’Vau agrees with you. In fact, she speculated that had Captain Sato not married Captain Hayes, she would have suggested arranging a marriage between the two.”

Again, Trip was stunned at Spelak’s frankness. Hoshi and Malcolm? They’re good friends, I know that, but—is there somethin’ more than that? No, he’d seen Hoshi’s behavior around her CMO, and Malcolm was too much a gentleman to make advances toward another man’s wife, especially Matt Hayes’s wife. Besides, Hoshi and Matt were crazy about each other.

“Uh...Human relationships don’t operate in quite the same way, Spelak. Besides, she’s loyal to Captain Hayes.”

“I did not mean to imply that either would act on the relationship, Trip. It is just fascinating to consider the possibilities, should the universe been slightly different.”

Trip only shrugged; Spelak seemed to sense his discomfort and smoothly changed the subject. “Your ship’s executive officer—Mayweather, I believe his name was—wished to be informed when you or T’Pol regained consciousness.”

“Yeah, he’s probably worried sick ‘bout what’s been goin’ on.” Trip knew that Travis hated to sit on the sidelines, but someone had to mind the store, and at least, there was someone who wasn’t directly entangled in this political mess. “Spelak, can I get a com line to Enterprise?”

“Of course, Trip. I’ll see to it personally. One moment.” Spelak nodded and went to find a working comlink.

Trip glanced at T’Pol and smiled. She’s free of Koss. Finally. He can’t hurt her or T’Les anymore. She’s free. The prospect was hard to believe and it made him giddy, as he remembered how she had lent him her strength.

“Mayweather to Tucker.”

Trip’s smile widened at the sound of Travis’s voice. “Good to hear from ya, Travis.”

“You doing all right?”

“T’Pol and I are recovering, but we’ll be fine.” His smile vanished at the urgency of Travis’s tone. “What’s going on? Has everything gone to hell while we were gone?”

There was no trace of cheerfulness in the Boomer’s tone. “You might say that, Trip. You’ve got to get back to Enterprise as soon as possible. We’ve got trouble.”


Back to Part 8
Continue to Part 10

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.