Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Needs of the Many"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG13
Pairings: Hayes/Sato, TnT
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: A turning point in the story. Will V’Lar recover? And the comflict among T’Pol, Trip and Koss is finally resolved in this chapter. T’Pol makes her choice (and you can probably guess whom she chooses...:)

And yeah, the “radiation treatment” sure sounds a lot like the one Phlox (unsuccessfully) used on Trip in ENT “Observer Effect.” No silicon virus, though.

Please R&R. I’d love to hear some feedback. Thanks.

Thanks, Pesterfield! :)


Eight

Malcolm stood at the controls of the imaging chamber as the orderlies lay V’Lar onto the padded bed. At T’Vau’s nod, he retracted the bed into the chamber itself and sealed it. V’Lar’s vitals came alive on the status screen; the minister was holding on by sheer will. Malcolm’s mouth twitched at the Vulcan’s stubbornness, for if it had anyone else, she would have died hours ago.

“Radiation levels set,” he said, his voice calm and professional through the comm speaker of his radiation suit. “Clear the room.”

It took less than a minute for the medical staff to retreat to the safety of the observation portal. T’Vau adjusted her own suit comm, checked her instruments, then said, “We are ready, Doctor Reed.”

“Stand by.” Malcolm made a final check of his panel, then announced, “Initiating radiation treatment in ten seconds...five seconds...now.”

The imaging chamber hummed briefly. T’Vau kept a close eye on V’Lar’s vitals while Malcolm made sure the radiation levels remained constant. Critical seconds ticked by, then the imaging chamber’s glow faded away. “First phase complete,” Malcolm announced.

“There is no change,” T’Vau replied, her tone flat, “at plus one minute, thirty seconds.”

“Second phase at two and a half minutes. Give me a twenty second tick for reference, Doctor T’Vau.” His formal tone hid the apprehension deep in his heart. What if the treatment failed? Then Minister V’Lar would die an agonizing death. We cannot afford to fail, Malcolm thought stubbornly. It must work. I cannot condemn V’Lar to horrible pain and suffering.

“Twenty seconds, Doctor Reed.”

“Reinitializing control settings—“

“Ten seconds. Total elapsed time is two minutes, twenty seconds. Nine, eight, seven, six--“

“Radiation levels stable—“

“Three, two, one.”

“Second phase commencing.” Again, the imaging chamber hummed as another burst bathed the High Minister’s body. Malcolm saw the various members of the med staff hold their collective breaths as the seconds ticked by again. “Second phase complete. Doctor T’Vau?”

She didn’t answer immediately. “Stand by, Doctor Reed. There is a slight change in her brain chemistry—“

Suddenly, the roar pounded into Malcolm as if he’d been physically struck by a battering ram. It tore through his mental shields as if they were made of rice paper. He lost his hold and could only tumble in its wake like a branch caught in a flash flood. He clawed his way out of the maelstrom, determined to retain his sense of self, of Malcolm Reed, within the swell of the other’s consciousness. And that consciousness had only one goal...one of her kin was in danger, and she must act.

Do not touch her! Do not harm her or I will kill you! Malcolm had no doubt in his own mind that the presence would kill to defend her own, and damn the consequences, like a mother sehlat with her cub. It was instinct; since Malcolm was not considered a threat, he didn’t believe he was in mortal danger...yet.

The single-minded purpose focused itself beyond the walls of the Medical Academy, and for now he could only watch as a spectator...


T’Pol acted out of pure instinct: she “pushed” Trip and T’Les out of the way of Koss’s mental rampage. The pure fury of it staggered her, but that wasn’t the only reason. It was impossible to lie during a mind-meld and the extent of Koss’s betrayal rasped on her already exposed nerves.

Forgive me...He showed her everything:

the day that T’Marui had approached Shomek with a proposal. If he cooperated with her, Shomek would command more than just the Security Ministry, but the Vulcan High Command and perhaps the High Council itself. At first, Shomek resisted, but after fifteen years of watching Vulcan extend the hand of friendship to Earth, then a tentative hand towards Andoria and Tellar, Shomek agreed to her proposal. V’Lar’s policies placed Vulcan in danger, and Shomek could not just stand aside...

The day that Shomek had brought Soultek into their secret cabal, then eventually Koss. Soultek’s clan of warriors had defended Vulcan since before the time of Surak, and Koss felt privileged to continue the tradition. And Koss was pleased at the bonding between himself and T’Pol. T’Pol’s family was strong, was worthy, of such a joining. Koss looked forward to the Time of Joining, and together, both clans would protect Vulcan...

T’Pol shuddered at his view of her: a calculating, crafty woman who used her Security training for the greater good. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. She had to admit that she hadn’t denied that image in her dealings with him. She’d also used deception to stop T’Marui, Shomek and Soultek...and Koss. It was the truth, as unpleasant as it was. It was a side of her that Koss had admired, one that repulsed her.

And the fact that her deception was so complete rocked her to the core of her soul.

Then a voice chimed in, There’re two sides to every story, Darlin’. He wasn’t completely truthful to you, either. T’Pol nodded at the truth of the statement. She wasn’t the only one who had to resort to...unsavory means.

The raging storm recognized the new presence and howled anew. T’Pol felt the weak link between herself and Koss falter as ripples of anger and jealousy passed through it. At the same time, the equally weak bond between herself and Trip Tucker buckled under Koss’s mental attack. She could lend her strength to either man, but it meant the one whom she didn’t support would probably lose the battle. Which one should she choose?

She made her choice. Thy’la! I choose you! And as she lent her strength to her champion, the other bond, which was already stretched too thinly, snapped with a finality that reverberated through the mental link. In return, the one she had chosen became infused with a strength that shocked her, but her heart rejoiced as she knew she had chosen correctly.

The other howled in disbelief and pain, and the fury intensified. T’Pol prepared herself for the inevitable; this was like the kal-i-fee, the Challenge, and she was willing to lay down her life...there was a surge of agreement and another voice said, We stay together until the end. I’m not leavin’ you.

Suddenly, a new presence burst into the battle. KOSS!! It hurled itself between Koss and T’Pol with all the fury of a mother le’matya protecting her cub. Its sharp talons tore into Koss, but it was only mere seconds before Koss struck back, ripping, shredding and tearing. Then, T’Pol felt a solid barrier between herself and the conflict; it was as if she was looking at it through a thick pane of glass.

Doc? Trip asked in surprise. What the hell’s goin’ on?

It appears that V’Lar has decided to deal with Koss and Soultek personally, came the mind-voice of Malcolm Reed. T’Pol had never heard him so grim before. She is dying and I can’t stop her—

It is her choice, Doctor, interrupted T’Les. The anguish from T’Pol’s mother suffused the link, but she didn’t allow it to overwhelm the others. We must break this link at once or we will all perish.

Indeed, echoed High Priestess T’Lya. Come, join in the withdrawal chant...And they all linked together with the ease of long practice, except for Trip, who stumbled with the unfamiliar mantra. T’Pol caught and supported him and showed him what to do.

I am T’Pol...I am T’Les...I am Malcolm Reed...I am Charles Tucker the Third...I am T’Lya...I am T’Pol...I am T’Les...With each repetition, they drew further away from the group meld and toward the safety of their own individual minds. T’Pol realized that although her sense of the others were dimming, her awareness of Trip’s presence was not. It remained, not as strong as a full marriage bond, but it was still there. He slid his mental “hand” within hers, and they journeyed toward the light...


T’Pol found herself lying on a granite slab, with harsh florescent lights bearing down upon her. All she saw was the glare; she blinked slowly as she willed herself to full consciousness. Nevertheless, the strange, floating feeling stayed with her.

“T’Pol, can you hear me?” The High Priestess’s voice held an odd double echo, as if she was deep within a cave. She managed a nod, for her throat was so dry that she couldn’t speak. T’Lya gave her a gentle smile, which shocked T’Pol so much she couldn’t answer at first. “Your thy’la is still hurting, T’Pol. You must help him. I will assist you.”

“Koss? What about Koss?” She bit her lip; she knew the answer before the High Priestess made her reply. The bond with Koss no longer existed; she could not feel his presence before this, but now it was completely absent.

T’Lya shook her head. “He lives, but we will take care of him. Koss has admitted to treason; the ones of his clan who are guilty will answer to their crimes.”

She opened her mouth to protest, but closed it again. T’Lya was correct; Koss had revealed everything in the meld, and in doing so, sealed his own fate. She suppressed a surge of guilt...he had done it for her sake, to save her life. Yet Koss had chosen his path, as T’Pol had chosen hers.

Including whom her true thy’la was. T’Pol closed her eyes as T’Lya placed her hand on her brow, and then she felt Trip’s presence. He was unconscious, the mental shock deep, but T’Pol reached out and began to help T’Lya heal him.


And in another room of the Medical Academy, several floors above T’Pol, Malcolm Reed opened his own eyes. His temples pounded, his mouth were dry like the Vulcan desert and his eyes were sore and gritty. He felt liquid on his cheek and raised a hand to it. It came away with green blood, not red.

“V’Lar?” he rasped out. Malcolm still couldn’t think straight; his mind was scrambled worse than the eggs Trip Tucker ate every morning. “Where—?”

T’Vau moved into his line of vision. Her solemn expression chased away his mental fog. “She is here, she still lives, but...she is not coherent, Malcolm. The damage is too severe for us to repair.”

“Oh, God.” He leaned forward and pressed his hands to his temples. “I couldn’t do anything, T’Vau. I felt her mind deteriorate...she put herself directly in the line of fire between T’Pol and her attacker and that was more than enough to destroy her.”

T’Vau said nothing for a moment. “Malcolm, it is not your fault. It was V’Lar’s final decision, and if she had not acted, T’Pol and the others may not be living now. You would most likely be dead.” Her mouth twitched despite the situation. “I would be quite perturbed by your loss.”

He nodded, hearing the words, but still having a difficult time accepting the truth of them. He was V’Lar’s personal doctor, and he had failed to save her. His intellect knew that he couldn’t have influenced V’Lar, but his soul ached with the loss.

And then he heard T’Vau activate her comlink and murmur, “T’Vau to Captain Sato. Captain, if you can be spared, please come to the Medical Academy. Your presence is needed.”


Back to Part 7
Continue to Part 9

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.