Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Needs of the Many"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG13
Pairings: Hayes/Sato, TnT
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: A critical chapter in the Vulcan situation, esp. concerning Koss, T’Pol and Trip. What’s the deal with the bond? Koss really means well, though, and he finally puts all of his talk of honor into action.

And V’Lar’s situation is pretty critical. Can Malcolm and the others make a difference?

Hoshi and the E Crew work together to unravel the mystery of Paan Mokar. Can they warn Columbia in time?

Please R&R! I’d like to see some reviews! Thanks!


Seven

High Priestess T’Lya stepped out into the observation room with Minister V’Klir closely following her. Koss spun toward them in obvious anticipation; T’Les was more serene in her movements. T’Lya raised an eyebrow at Koss’s reaction.

“Where is the Human doctor?” she asked.

T’Les shook her head and replied, “He had been summoned to Minister V’Lar’s side. The High Minister’s health has taken a turn for the worse.”

V’Klir frowned, but T’Lya only nodded. Her aloofness astounded T’Les, but the priestess was a mistress of Kolinahr, the eradication of all emotion. If T’Lya felt any sympathy or concern, she kept it away from her consciousness. The detachment unnerved T’Les more than she was willing to admit.

T’Lya turned to Koss. “I will need to examine you as well, for confirmation.”

He nodded eagerly. “Of course, High Priestess.”

“It might be painful for you or T’Pol—“

“I am ready.”

She gestured to the nearest biobed. He stretched himself upon it and closed his eyes. T’Lya glided to his side and noded at both V’Klir and T’Les. “I will need assistance from both of you. V’Klir, you will need to be my anchor to this world. T’Les, you will need to shield your daughter from Koss’s onslaught.”

A surge of protectiveness welled up from within T’Les. “I am willing to do what it takes, High Priestess.”

They arranged themselves in a circle, with T’Lya’s right hand on Koss’s brow, V’Klir’s on T’Lya’s face and his other hand on T’Les’s face, with T’Les completing the circuit, with her hand on Koss. Her flesh actually crawled at touching her imminent son-in-law, but she ignored the sensation. The needs of the many...

And they plunged into chaos...


In another room of the Vulcan Medical Academy, the screams echoed off the walls. T’Vau had declared the entire wing off-limits to all but essential personnel. To see what was happening would demoralize any Vulcan. The planet’s former High Minister writhed within her restraints, her snow-white hair flying from side to side as she turned her head. Several orderlies held her down as Doctor T’Vau administered hypo after hypo. Finally, the indicators on the panel above V’Lar began to inch down into a more acceptable level.

“Her heart rate and breathing levels are stabilizing,” Malcolm reported. “Blood pressure slowing to tolerable limits.”

V’Niess, T’Vau’s resident in endocrinology, interrupted, “Doctor Reed, the results of the High Minister’s bloodwork has arrived. You wanted to know the moment the analysis was complete.”

He nodded at her. “My gratitude, V’Niess. Will you please check the status of the cellular analysis as well? That will be a valuable piece of information to restore the High Minister’s health.”

V’Niess only bowed her head. “Yes, Doctor Reed.” Then she left the room. He joined T’Vau at the computer and scowled at the screen.

“Her blood is crawling with the modified Pa’nar virus,” he said grimly. “They are overwhelming the white blood cells...the minor blood vessels are losing integrity—“

T’Vau shook her head. “Look at this, Doctor Reed. Her brain tissue is changing literally as we speak. The white matter is deteriorating at an accelerated rate—“

“How long?”

“Six hours, perhaps less.”

“God.” The screen flickered again as the cellular analysis appeared on the right side of the screen. “Hm..this looks promising...”

T’Vau said nothing for a long moment, but then she said, “The levels required is fatal for both Vulcans and Humans, Malcolm...but it looks like the only option at this point.”

He sighed and nodded. “If we are to save V’Lar’s life—“ he glanced over his shoulder. “V’Niess, here are the specifications for the settings of the imaging chamber. Get this to the technicians while we move the High Minister upstairs. Hurry.”

T’Niess jumped at his side and accepted the PADD. “At once, Doctor Reed.”

Malcolm helped the others transfer V’Lar’s body to an anti-grav stretcher. He hoped the treatment would at least slow down the deterioration of the High Minister’s body and mind. If they weren’t successful...Malcolm didn’t want to think about it.

Happy thoughts. Must think happy thoughts.


T’Les tried to keep up with T’Lya and V’Klir, but both rapidly outpaced her. The intricate labyrinth of Koss’s mind was fascinating, a pity she had no time to appreciate it. It was interesting that Koss’s subconscious had constructed it to represent his own mind; secrets doubling back on themselves, and twisted beliefs hand-in-hand with twisted desire.

Those walls were riddled with cracks, but they still held. What kind of strain has he been under, and why had he not told anyone about it? T’Les saw a glimpse of a Vision, of Koss seeking help from Mount Seleya, but not from a priestess...from T’Marui, whose own insanity had infected so many other Vulcans...

Do not deny your emotions. Use it as a source of strength...an adjunct to logic...Koss knelt in front of T’Marui, her hands pouring wisdom and teaching directly through his psychic channels, within the brief flashes of lucidity, but that wisdom came at a price. T’Les saw the parasites as ugly green strands that bound Koss’s brain and spine, wrapping themselves tighter and tighter around the white and gray matter, destabilizing Koss’s thought processes, refocusing his intentions to the “defense of Vulcan”, no matter what he cost...

How elegant in its construction, T’Les thought with distaste. And it has triggered a chemical reaction similar to pon farr, which spilled over to T’Pol. Is she infected as well? She felt a surge of anger, but clamped it down. Koss would endanger her daughter in his insane quest...this was ample proof that he was not worthy of T’Pol as a mate. T’Les had found the proof she wanted, and she made a mental sigh of relief.

Then Koss’s own mind-voice said in horror, By Surak, what have I done? The anguish roared out of him and threatened to burst the labyrinth walls like water through a weak dam. I am a Vulcan, bred to peace and protection...

Koss. T’Les strove to reach him with her mind, despite the risks. You have been manipulated by your father, your family, Shomek and T’Marui. Now you have put T’Pol in danger. If you have any feeling for your betrothed, you will do what you can to protect her. Stop this madness now, before it is too late!

She could feel Koss struggle with the guilt and the anger. I have been a fool, and sentenced everyone I cared for to a slow and painful death—

An unexpected voice echoed in their minds: V’Klir, whose deep bass tone was amplified many times over. Do not indulge in self-pity, Young One! Tell us what your father and Shomek are plotting, redeem your family’s honor in the eyes of Vulcan!

Koss swallowed hard. I will lose T’Pol, I will lose her trust and respect...but I cannot harm her anymore. Lady High Priestess, I may be too far gone to be saved, but you can save her.

T’Lya, who had been silent till now, asked in a tone of gentle regret, Do you realize what you are asking? The severing of a mating bond can destroy your mind and T’Pol’s as well as T’Les’s and anyone else who may be connected—

She means everything to me, Lady High Priestess. I may be foolish, but make no mistake, I refuse to be the cause of her illness and death. I must make this sacrifice.

T’Les? Are you willing to take the risk as well?

If it means that my daughter will be free of the illness and live, I am willing.

T’Lya refocused her attention to Koss. I will have to re-establish my link with T’Pol. She will see and feel all your emotions, Koss. I cannot prevent it; your mind will be spread open for all to know. Are you still willing to do this?

There was a last spasm of hesitation, then Koss reaffirmed, I am willing.

Very well. T’Lya led them in reaching toward T’Pol, who still lay in the next room, oblivious to the drama outside. T’Pol, daughter of T’Les and Sendak, hear our call. Thy mother and thy bondmate need you now. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one. Come, join us, and assist in the salvation of our world...

They all felt a warm surge enter the link...familiar, but yet changed in a strange manner. It took T’Les a second to realize just what had changed.

T’Pol was there, but she had not come alone. And with that realization, the weaker link between Koss and T’Pol trembled, but held together by pure intent and will. It held long enough for Koss to reach out desperately for T’Pol, to show her everything, to beg her forgiveness for all he had done and all he had failed to do.

T’Pol’s shock reverberated through the bond, but to her credit, she didn’t recoil from the onslaught. T’Les felt her fumble in the intensity of Koss’s revelation, then the additional presence immediately provided her strength and support. It had happened so naturally, like breathing, that it took T’Les’s own breath away.

Sendak, she thought, it reminds me of his strength...And then, she realized to whom the other presence belonged. T’Les was speechless with shock, both in mind and actual physical reality.

And she wasn’t the only one who had identified that presence.

Koss’s fragile control shattered and with an animal-like roar, the walls within his mind burst outwardand the chaos spread like wildfire.


Hoshi stood at a situation table in the Vulcan Defense Ministry chambers, gazing at a layout of the defense grid around Paan Mokar. Each platform was linked by a series of back-ups; to disable the grid, the platform and its back-up had to be destroyed at the same time. The planetoid itself boasted a myriad of anti-aircraft weapons and towers...

I wish Trip were here, she thought, but unfortunately, both he and T’Pol were at the Medical Academy with T’Les, and Malcolm was caring for V’Lar. Instead, Jon and Soval were with her, with Travis and Bryan Trace via comlink, and Admiral Forrest on another channel. T’Pau was in a conference with Shomek and Soultek in the next room. To his credit, Shomek allowed Hoshi to remain at the Defense Ministry, for she had become their link to Columbia and Starfleet Command.

“The planetoid’s shielding keeps us from getting any clear sensor fix on its surface,” Travis was saying, “but what we’re getting isn’t comparable with what Minister Shomek’s diagrams are showing us. It’s supposed to be completely automated, but we’re getting weird bio-readings.”

She frowned. “Are you picking up sensor ghosts?”

“Could be, but my instincts are telling me no. The Vulcan fleets are too far away and the readings are definitely NOT Andorian or Human. I’m integrating what I’m receiving from Major Kemper on Columbia; maybe that’ll clear it up a bit.”

The screen changed to include those “sensor ghosts” on the planetoid surface. Soval’s eyebrows shot up and he said flatly, “Vulcan. Apparently, Paan Mokar isn’t as uninhabited as Shomek and Soultek would have us believe.”

Jon scowled and asked, “That would mean they’d have sent personnel right under T’Pau’s and V’Lar’s noses. When would they have done that?”

“Slowly, over several years, perhaps even decades,” Soval answered. “They could have taken advantage of V’Lar’s...mental lapses to do this, but this would have been a massive, full-scale military operation. It would have been noticed.”

Hoshi stared at the shifting, changing plots on the screen. Yes, they could have been Vulcan or another race; it was difficult to tell, and she might have dismissed the anomalous readings as sensor ghosts as well. “What if they aren’t Vulcan, but I’Rhiamanau?”

Her question stopped Soval cold and Admiral Forrest suddenly became more interested. Forrest asked, “Are you suggesting that they might have taken over Paan Mokar?”

“I don’t know, but Matt Hayes told me about the Vulcan kidnappers not acting like Vulcans.”

Soval glared at the screen as if he was taking the invasion personally. For all Hoshi knew, he probably was. “I will bring this information directly to T’Pau and Shomek. A direct attack would be disastrous. Commander Mayweather, will you transmit your sensor readings directly to my PADD?”

“And mine, Commander,” Forrest added abruptly.

“Certainly, sirs.” In a moment, Soval glanced at his PADD and nodded as Travis added, “It should all be there, Ambassador, Admiral.”

“My gratitude, Commander.” Soval nodded at the Humans, then strode out of the room. Admiral Forrest nodded in satisfaction at the information, then continued:

“Captain Sato, Beta Fleet has just rendezvoused with Columbia and Captain Hernandez of the Devonshire reports that the retrieval operation is under way.” Forrest consulted a side computer screen. “I’m putting Enterprise on yellow alert. Be ready to assist at a moment’s notice.”

“What about the upheaval in Vulcan’s government, sir?” Hoshi asked. “Minister Shomek will be more difficult to negotiate with than Minister V’Lar.”

Jon interrupted, “I’ll stay here and do what I can to assist the situation, sir. If Shomek has the approval and the support of the Vulcans, then there might not much we can do to change it...unless there is proof of treason or gross negligence on Shomek’s part.”

Forrest breathed out a sigh of frustration. “Unfortunately, you’re right, Jonathan. Do what you can. Hoshi, keep me informed on Minister V’Lar’s condition.”

“Will do, Admiral. Sato, out.” She glanced at Jon. “If it really is the I’Rhiamanau on Paan Mokar, how the hell did they bypass the defense grids?”

Bryan Trace broke in with, “The grids were constructed by Vulcans, Captain. Either they figured it out based on the design, or someone gave ‘em a key to the back door. Someone who had access to the command codes or knew someone who did. Which means that it had to come from somebody high on the totem pole of the Security Ministry.”

“T’Pau, Shomek or Soultek,” Hoshi said grimly, “or someone who got into their confidence.”

“We don’t have any proof,” Jon pointed out, “and whoever did it is probably good at covering their tracks.”

“We’ll have to find that proof and quickly. We need Trip.” She inclined her head. “Jon, I’m going over to the Medical Academy and if Trip is well enough, I’m going to put him to work. T’Pol and Malcolm too.”

“And we’ll keep you updated on the tactical situation, Captain,” Travis said.

“Thanks, Travis and Bryan. Sato, out.” After Travis closed the channel, she said, “Good luck, Jon.”

“You too, Hoshi.” He managed a smile. “If there are anyone who can pull off a miracle, Trip and T’Pol can do it.”

“I hope they haven’t run out of miracles yet.” With that, she headed for the Medical Academy, but she only managed a few steps before a bull roared in the next room and startled her and Jon. “What’s that?”

Then they heard Soultek scream, “My son, what have you done?”


Back to Part 6
Continue to Part 8

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.