Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Fiction Wins"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor
Description: Trip and Archer investigate a sunken city, Sherie and Trip haven't finished their prank war yet, Archer and his pooch enjoy play time, and Hoshi's penpal returns.


Fetch (6)

Archer slowly looked away from his book to the floor. Porthos wagged his tail as soon as they made eye contact. Archer looked back at his book, but his eyes eventually drifted back down to Porthos. Again the dog wagged his tail. Archer smiled at him, then looked back at his book. He heard Porthos trot away. Archer turned the page in his book and started reading at the top. He felt eyes on him and looked down. Porthos had his ball in his mouth and wagged his tail as soon as their eyes met. He dropped the ball and happily growled. Archer smiled a little but went back to his book. He heard Porthos get the ball from under the couch. Porthos stood up on his hind legs and put his front paws on Archer’s legs. Archer looked at his dog.

“You’re not about to let me read, are you?” Archer asked him.

Porthos’ wagged his tail hard.

“Are you?” Archer repeated.

His tail wagged harder. Archer sat his book down and grabbed the ball. Porthos pulled back on it, growling. Porthos let go suddenly and hopped back, waiting expectantly for Archer to throw the ball. Archer threw it across the room. Porthos turned to run, his feet running in place for a few seconds until he managed to get traction and he raced across the room after the ball. He captured the ball and raced back to Archer. Archer took the ball when Porthos dropped it in his hand and threw it at the beam brace across the room as the doorbell beeped.

“Come in,” Archer said, watching the ball hit the brace and head for the door. “Aw crap.”

The door opened.

“Watch out for the—“ Archer started to warn the person entering.

T’Pol looked up and reactively caught the tennis ball flying toward her. She stepped in the room, looking at the ball in her hand. Porthos raced up to her and started barking and hopping excitedly around her feet.

“Throw the ball and he’ll leave you alone,” Archer informed her.

T’Pol threw the slobbery ball and wiped her hand on her leg. She turned and walked up to Archer.

“We have finished the report on the Iiarek.” T’Pol handed him a PADD. “It is ready to transmit to Starfleet.”

Archer took it. “So, did you include the big misunderstanding of women and men?”

“No, Captain.”

Porthos ran up to T’Pol and started dancing excitedly at her feet. T’Pol glanced at him but did nothing.

“Good. I didn’t really want to expl—” Archer looked up at her and then down at Porthos. “Port, come here,” Archer called, holding his hand out for the ball.

Porthos ignored him, determined to get T’Pol to throw the ball instead.

“Throw his ball, please.”

“I did not come here to play games with your dog.”

“I know. But he wants to play ball. Throw the ball. Please.”

T’Pol looked down at the dog. She crouched down, holding out her hand.

“Give me the ball,” she ordered Porthos.

Porthos gently placed the ball in her open hand. She stood and threw the ball across the room. Porthos skidded in his haste to race after it.

“I didn’t want to explain that incident to them,” Archer continued.

“It was simply a misunderstanding.”

“Yeah. How was I to know women ruled and men were servants?” Archer growled.

“The misconception is understandable. Most races, including your own, are predominately male oriented.”

Porthos returned to T’Pol and danced excitedly around her feet. T’Pol let out a slow sigh, crouched down and held out her hand to Porthos. He neatly dropped the ball in her hand and she stood, throwing it. Archer masked his smile behind a thoughtful look.

“It was different is all.”

“Not all cultures have the same standards as yours or even Vulcan’s.”

“You’ve made that point more times than I can count, T’Pol.”

Porthos returned.

“Was that all you needed from me tonight?” T’Pol asked.

“Yes. I’ll check over it and transmit it in the morning.”

“Good night.” T’Pol turned to leave and Porthos started dancing in front of her. T’Pol stopped short. She crouched down and held her hand out for the ball. Porthos placed it in her hand and she threw it into the bathroom. While he was running after it she left Archer’s quarters.

Archer grinned as soon as the door closed. Porthos came out, expecting to find T’Pol. He stopped in the middle of the quarters, looking around the room.

“She left Porthos,” Archer informed the Beagle.

Porthos turned and ran to Archer. Archer held his hand out for the ball and Porthos dropped it in his hand. Archer threw the ball across the room, watching Porthos race after it.


Back to Chapter 5
Continue to Chapter 7

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.