Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Fork in the Road"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Romance
Description: The prank wars heat up, T'Pol learns how to express her love through dancing, Hoshi kicks butt in poker.


Ante (4)

Archer glared at his cards. He knew he was beat and he didn’t want to be.

“Jonathan,” Malcolm said.

Archer sat his cards face down. Archer held his breath for a second before saying it. “I fold.”

“Fold,” Travis said.

“Raising the bet two. Give me a card, Travis,” Trip said as he tossed the bet of four plus two toothpicks on the pile in the center.

Travis dealt Trip another card.

“Malcolm?” Travis asked Malcolm.

“Stay,” Malcolm said. Malcolm tossed the bet plus two more toothpicks on the table. “Raising two.”

“You’re bluffing!” Trip said.

Malcolm didn’t reply.

“Are you bluffing?” Trip asked.

Ensign Bishop laughed at Trip. “Like he’s gonna answer that!”

Archer laughed. The good thing about poker was that all formalities pretty much went out the window the minute the men sat down around the table.

“Call it,” Malcolm told Trip.

Trip laid his hand down. “Straight flush.”

Malcolm nodded, looking at his cards. Trip reached toward the pile of toothpicks.

“Four aces,” Malcolm said, laying his cards down on the table.

“What!?” Trip fell back in his chair laughing. “I can’t believe I lost again.”

“You’re just sorry that way, Trip,” Travis said.

“And with that, gentlemen, I’m bowing out and turning in for the night,” Ensign Bishop said as he stood. He collected the rest of his toothpicks and left the room to a chorus of good night.

“Another hand?” Travis asked.

There was a pause.

“You know...” Malcolm looked up. “I wonder...”

“What’s that?” Archer asked. He picked up one of his toothpicks and put it in his mouth.

“I need someone who can beat me. This is kind of boring,” Malcolm joked.

“I’d be real happy to win if you’d let me,” Trip said.

The doorbell beeped.

“Come in,” Archer called.

The door opened and Hoshi stumbled into the room.

“Evening Ensign. What can I do for you?” Archer asked, collecting his cards as he was dealt them

Hoshi blushed, being pushed further into the room by Zintar.

“I thought you weren’t going to make it, Zintar,” Travis said.

“Finished work early. Hoshi wants to join us.”

The four men looked at her. She blushed again and would have left if Zintar hadn’t been blocking her way to the door.

“You play poker?” Trip asked Hoshi.

She smiled. “Yes, sir.”

Archer looked at the other three. “Make room for the lady, gentlemen?”

“On one condition,” Trip said.

“Yes, sir?” Hoshi asked.

“Make that two.” Trip looked over his shoulder at Hoshi.

“Yes, sir?”

“Stop calling us sir the minute you sit down at the table. We’re on an even playing field here. And you have to loan me some toothpicks,” Trip smiled sweetly at Hoshi. “I’m running low.”

Hoshi smiled. She handed Trip half of the bunch in her hand.

“Here.” Malcolm motioned to the open seat beside him.

Hoshi and Zintar sat down and Travis dealt them each a hand.

“We’re playing five card stud,” Archer told the newcomers. “What’s the ante Malcolm?”

“Four,” Malcolm answered. Each person tossed four toothpicks into the middle of the table.

The room grew quiet as they started the next round.

“Raising bet two,” Malcolm said, tossing toothpicks in the middle of the table.

The bet went around the table, stopping at Hoshi.

“Hoshi,” Trip said, looking over the top of his cards at her.

She let out a sigh. “Raising two.” Hoshi tossed eight toothpicks on the table.

“Oooo. She’s daring,” Travis joked.

Everyone laughed. The room became quiet as the game continued until Hoshi and Malcolm were the last left in the game.

“Call it,” Malcolm said to her.

Hoshi motioned Travis to hand her another card. Travis slid her a card down the table. She picked it up and thought.

Hoshi tossed her bet on the pile. “Raising two.”

“Card,” Malcolm said.

Travis slid him a card.

Malcolm tossed the bet on the pile. “Raising three.”

“See that bet, raising four.”

Malcolm smiled. “Daring.”

Hoshi didn’t reply.

“Card please,” Hoshi said.

Travis slid her another card and she discarded one.

Malcolm frowned when he looked down at his dwindling pile of toothpicks.

“Fold or call, Lieutenant,” Hoshi said, looking at him.

“Fold.” Malcolm laid his cards down.

Hoshi laid her hand down on the table. Malcolm stared at her jack, ten, eight and two twos. He flipped over his four tens and five. “I can’t believe I fell for that.”

“Awww,” Travis crooned. “Too bad you aren’t in Vegas, Malcolm. You still would have won even though you folded.”

“But--”

“But we aren’t in Vegas,” Trip grinned. “You folded and the lady won.”

Hoshi laughed, collecting the pot. “Play again?”

“Deal us another hand.” Malcolm smiled. “Call ante, Ensign.”

Hoshi sat back, called ante and another round commenced.


Back to Chapter 3
Continue to Chapter 5

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.